• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Goth Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Ergo Proxy deserves a special mention, especially with a creature like the Proxy and a heroine like Re-L and just the overall tone/atmosphere of the story that never lets up to its end.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Adding to the goth vampires, there's Vampire Princess Miyu. It's another older anime, but well worth seeking out.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I second Ergo Proxy. Its overall tone and the attitude of the characters just fits too well with general Goth sentiment.

I think Le Portrait de Petite Cosette also absolutely has to be counted here, as it is both Goth in general and has a Goth lolita title character. Its moody soundtrack is also a great one.

A case could also probably be argued for Gosick. Co-protagonist Veronique is the epitome of Goth lolita, although the overall tone of the show only occasionally fits. Rozen Maiden would also be in that same category.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Honorable mention for Kore wa Desu ka Zombie, the genre bending adventures of an "ordinary high school boy" who gets murdered my a slasher, resurrected as a zombie by a 300 year old Goth-Loli Necromancer in purple with an armor breastplate to be her servant, and has allies which include a Mahou Shojo in a pink tutu whose weapon is a sentient chainsaw and a vampire ninja with a racial hatred for zombies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Surprised D.Gray Man isn't on there.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...A case could also probably be argued for Gosick. Co-protagonist Veronique is the epitome of Goth lolita, although the overall tone of the show only occasionally fits...

And the anime's title is a joke reference to the Japanese pronunciation of Gothic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll third Ergo Proxy and the Amy Lee shaped inksuit they used for a main character.

Plus, it's a shame for the Death Note film they chose to go with CGI entirely for Ryuk instead of using it to exaggerate Willem Defoe's already over halfway there facial features. When they announced the film my wife was able to pick out Defoe as an obvious choice for the shinigami before hearing about his involvement - he looked that much like the part already.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Fourthed Ergo Proxy.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Although some of it is notably optimistic and pleasant, Haibane Renmei should count.. Obsession with death, crumbling old buildings, odd religious imagery... and the whole angel, black wings coloring your sin... or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
As far as Vampire Princess Miyu goes I prefer the ovas to the tv series.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I am somewhat surprised that Ergo Proxy, Rozen Maiden, and Shiki weren't on the goth anime list. The Ancient Magus' Bride is a very popular show and while it does have a goth style romance in terms of the story and visual style it is closer to a fairy tale.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Uh... Witch Hunter Robin would like a word. Probably several words.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Uh... Witch Hunter Robin would like a word. Probably several words.

Yeah, can't believe I forgot that one.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Shiki is extremely disturbing. Or maybe my view of goth and the list maker's is drastically different, or maybe they just chose the most popular choices instead of what they thought fit the best. Like Death Note? Not goth. There being a shinigami character does not make it goth, lol.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I don’t remember much from the 80s but I was a teenager during the nineties/noughties goth revival (the Projekt label and all the Norwegian symphonic metal bands – so much nostalgia!)

The gothy anime that stick in my mind from that time were your number 4 picks (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Hellsing). I‘d like to suggest Blood: The Last Vampire and Wolf’s Rain for the list that’s building here in the comments, but there are so many other series I remember being popular among goths even though they weren’t necessarily “goth” in style: Lain, Utena, InuYasha…

Manga is another thing. At that time, I was reading almost exclusively British and American comics – authors like Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore – and now I wonder how much goth manga I missed out on. Much later, I found xxxHolic which reminded me a lot of Gloom Cookie and other American “underground until Hot Topic” comics. And another of CLAMP’s manga – Clover – is even more goth, tonally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3