• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akiko Higashimura's Bishoku Tantei Akechi Goro Manga Gets Live-Action Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Waaait wait wait wait, Akiko Higashimura made a manga, about a detective, who likes food (presumably also pancakes) AND his name is seriously "Goro Akechi"? This is starting to sound like a really strange AU Persona 5 fanfic or something Laughing

Or, it would have, had the manga not started in 2015, over a year BEFORE Persona 5 was released. So now it's sounding like exactly the opposite!
Llyud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Waaait wait wait wait, Akiko Higashimura made a manga, about a detective, who likes food (presumably also pancakes) AND his name is seriously "Goro Akechi"? This is starting to sound like a really strange AU Persona 5 fanfic or something Laughing

Or, it would have, had the manga not started in 2015, over a year BEFORE Persona 5 was released. So now it's sounding like exactly the opposite!

Both characters were named after Kogoro Akechi, a fictional private detective:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogoro_Akechi
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Llyud wrote:
zawa113 wrote:

Both characters were named after Kogoro Akechi, a fictional private detective:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogoro_Akechi

Interesting! I did not know that. Definitely had to do a double take at the headline. So essentially he's like a Japanese version of Sherlock Holmes that is referenced in popular culture.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I did not know that either! Interesting that they both dropped the "Ko" and went with "Goro" though!
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I did not know that either! Interesting that they both dropped the "Ko" and went with "Goro" though!

Goro is (or was, anyway) a common name, and you get it by dropping just one character from Akechi Kogoro, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are older examples as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1