• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mythology of Fate/Grand Order: Babylonia — Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun read, some random comments.

Quote:
Babylonia recapitulates this myth with Ritsuka's descent to find Gilgamesh's soul, swapping out the divine striptease with the much funnier sight of an incredible shrinking Ishtar.

Well, babylonia says the the striptease happenned too, just before the anime.

Quote:
Outside some memeable quotes and the uniquely purple prose of the original visual novel's erotica, the Fate series is perhaps best known for its potpourri of characters picked from the entire length of human history and storytelling. One school of thought posits that all new stories we tell are just remixes of stories we've heard before, and in that regard, I've come to find Fate interesting in the nakedness of its belief in this tradition. That's not to say Fate is lazy and unoriginal in its approach to storytelling; quite the opposite, actually! It's turned into a playground for writers to imagine how characters from different eras, cultures, and literary traditions might interact. Alliances form, passions are shared, and warriors from all schools of combat beat the crap out of each other.

As I am a fan of some mythical figures (sup siegfred, arthur ) one of the reasons I like fate is that it has the mythical figures without being a retelling of their famous tales; no moresword in the rock for artoria, no more illiad for achiles, etc... just new fresh stories with the charcters I have loved for years.

If a new one is done that has quetzalcoatl, please talk too about the mesoamerican emperor in the year 950ish AC, the one who legend was about being an outsider who came from the other side of the ocean and eventualyl had to leave for either racism/being contrary to human sacrifice and made a prophecy about people from the other side of the ocean coming back to conquer mesoamerica. I find that very fitting to explain why quetz, is a blonde girl in babylonia as the outsider was most likely a viking who might still have been alive at the time of the vinland sagas.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Enkidu's Noble Phantasm

Ain't this a spoiler? I don't remember it showing up in the anime yet.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:43 am Reply with quote
Great read man! Hey, dont stop at Babylonia, you could do a series on explaining the basics of Fate characters and how they end up in the series!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I knew quite a bit of this stuff, but I didn't know about Kingu. I thought that was something FGO made up. Nice write up. I'm glad I checked it out.

killjoy_the wrote:

It has. It is his chain thing that he uses in every single fight. Maybe you were expecting something different because Gilgamesh says "Enuma Elish" when he uses Ea? Enkidu may not shout his NP's name out every time he uses it, but it isn't like Saber isn't swinging around Excalibur until she shouts the name.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
...Yeah it's not like naming your Noble Phantasm is a big thing in the Fate lore
BlackHowling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Steve! This was a fun and informative read.

For the editor: Can you please add a link to Part 2 at the bottom of Part 1's article and vice versa at the top of Part 2's article? I read Part 1 from the website's sidebar, but did not realize Part 2 was out until I discovered it on Twitter.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

killjoy_the wrote:

It has. It is his chain thing that he uses in every single fight. Maybe you were expecting something different because Gilgamesh says "Enuma Elish" when he uses Ea? Enkidu may not shout his NP's name out every time he uses it, but it isn't like Saber isn't swinging around Excalibur until she shouts the name.

Goign by satuyrday's episode this was a case of being "spoiled" because he already knew what was going on; kingu used enuma elishi as a NP attack in that episode; so someone already in the knowing would think that was a spoiler while someone who had not been spoiled yet would assume what you sadi, the noble phantasm is the weapon and there were no psoilers there. it's the clannad ED all over again.
kameoosama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
Enkidu's Noble Phantasm

ehhhh, I wouldn't call it one since we're just talking about what Enkidu's NP is about in more general terms, not how it's used against spoiler[Actual Tiamat] or like how it has a different name if they use it against you as "Kingu" in certain boss fights. like if we were talking about Arash and they explained his NP "Stella" and why it's a suicide attack I wouldn't consider it a spoiler just because the Camelot anime isn't out yet. Now if we went into the big chant that only happens when Arash uses it in a key story scene spoiler[to stop Lartoria's beam from decimating one of the villages the Hassans are protecting] in Camelot then maybe i'd say maybe consider marking a spoiler.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
I know i have talked a few times about quetzalcoatl the viking, but yeah, being mexican that was easily accesible to me, but might not be so much to international audiences so I am putting the wiki link to that specific part of the quetzalcoatl legend there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ce_Acatl_Topiltzin
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
How can you talk about Fate's Quetz without mentioning that she's a bacterial parasyte that came to earth on the meteor that killed the dinosaurs? Merlin's infamous futa moment too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1