• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun Horror or All Hijinks?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched Toilet-Bound nor do I intend it, but, this whole thing makes me wish for a new Hellsing series with Super Sonico as the sidekick.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Haven't watched Toilet-Bound nor do I intend it, but, this whole thing makes me wish for a new Hellsing series with Super Sonico as the sidekick.

Sure hope you don't have a drug test coming up anytime soon.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
This is my favorite show this season and I'm sure you're all shocked.

gridsleep wrote:
Haven't watched Toilet-Bound

Well, you should cause you're really missing out..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:40 am Reply with quote
Andy, could you please stop posting screencaps with white captions? I can see that you have the option for the black background, so it'd be great if you'd pick that. My eyes aren't the best, but even zooming the screen as much as possible, they become so pixelated I still can't read them. This goes quadruple for when you shrink down images to fit 4 to a bubble. Thanks.

This really is a great series. It looks good (vast understatement), it's funny, it's charming, it can rip your heart to shreds on a moment's notice. If you're not already watching it, do something to fix that right away!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:12 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched this series (I will, now) but as the review went on, I kept getting reminded of Humanity has declined, with pink blobs instead of the fairies (and, I guess, an idiot lead instead of Mai Nakahara's character).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
an idiot lead instead of Mai Nakahara's character).

They were a bit too harsh on Nene, imho. She does silly things sometimes...but she's really not a complete idiot like they were making her out to be.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
gridsleep wrote:

Sure hope you don't have a drug test coming up anytime soon.

Oh, this is my brain on nothing but itself.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
This is my favorite show this season and I'm sure you're all shocked.

gridsleep wrote:
Haven't watched Toilet-Bound

Well, you should cause you're really missing out..

Just from the list of titles that interest me, I am about 12,000 hours behind in my watching. I'll try to get to it before the end of the century.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
I am about 12,000 hours behind in my watching.

Hmm. Mood. Razz

Leading an anime club has given me the responsibility to check things out every season...so I am watching way more than I used to...but yeah, there are shows from years ago that I want to finish and still haven't. xD
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I am actually pretty concerned on which arc the anime decides to conclude its first season, because no matter how I look at the source material, I fali to find a satisfying end point for an anime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:

Oh, this is my brain on nothing but itself.

Damn.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Andy, could you please stop posting screencaps with white captions? I can see that you have the option for the black background, so it'd be great if you'd pick that. My eyes aren't the best, but even zooming the screen as much as possible, they become so pixelated I still can't read them. This goes quadruple for when you shrink down images to fit 4 to a bubble. Thanks.

This really is a great series. It looks good (vast understatement), it's funny, it's charming, it can rip your heart to shreds on a moment's notice. If you're not already watching it, do something to fix that right away!

I'm of the opposite opinion. Michelle's subtitle made me want to throw my phone. Scientifically, the best subtitles are white with a black border (border, not background). They can be seen on any background! Not sure if Andy has a border or lot but it's too thin if he does, but as you said the image quality/resolution is also just low as well.

As for the anime itself, it's one of those weird ones where I went in expecting typical comedy and was very pleasantly surprised by how much depth and actual meaningful messages are in the show. The atmosphere is also rather stunning. The music combined with the visual style and characters just all fits together perfectly. It this ends well it will be my first 9/10 for the year. As for now, I can't get enough of those daikon legs!

It also has by FAR my favorite subtitles of the season. Honorifics should always he left in subtitles (not dubs though), . They hold meaning and most anime fans either know their meanings or should learn them to get the most out of the anime. Japanese name orders I also prefer. In Japan they respect our name orders so I feel we should respect theirs. Also for some reason we use the Family Name first with Chinese and Korean people but not with Japanese. It's weird. We should always use the name order that the country in question uses. So yeah, whoever did the localization for this is my favorite since they used both honorifics and Japanese name order.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I do not feel that they are a bad anime, but it is also not special in some aspect, it is only to follow anime formulas of yesteryear, but for me generates nothing more than indifference except for the visual style that is the only thing that stands out
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Andy, could you please stop posting screencaps with white captions? I can see that you have the option for the black background, so it'd be great if you'd pick that....This really is a great series. It looks good (vast understatement), it's funny, it's charming, it can rip your heart to shreds on a moment's notice. If you're not already watching it, do something to fix that right away!
I'll second everything Gina says, especially the readability part. The is the first time that I absolutely can't read 90% of the captions that don't have the background so either use different options or enlarge please...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:04 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Scientifically, the best subtitles are white with a black border (border, not background). They can be seen on any background!

I agree with this, but I'm not sure if that's an option depending on how they're getting their screencaps. As far as I can tell, it can depend on your OS, browser and/or what device you're viewing on whether an outline option that actually works is available. I'm no expert though, by a long shot.

But if it's between white on black background vs white with no background or outlines, I'll take the former, thanks. At least I can read those. Also, there's a huge difference between wanting optimal for reading subs on the fly, and tolerating just being able to read a sub on a static image that you can take your time with. I'm surprised you found the legible ones so much more frustrating than the illegible ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2