• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony: 'Overwhelming Majority' of PS4 Titles Will Be Playable on PS5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
hope its just a starting point because

1. Grand Theft Auto 5 (55.7 million players)

2. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3 (54.5 million players)

3. Fortnite (39.4 million players)

4. FIFA 18 (32.8 million players)

5. FIFA 17 (30.0 million players)

6. FIFA 16 (28.3 million players)

7. Call Of Duty: WWII (26.6 million players)

8. Minecraft (25.3 million players)

9. Rocket League (23.1 million players)

10. Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare (22.1 million players)

are the top 10 and i haven't played a single one....I play more niche games like legend of heroes/Ys or the SAO franchise games and am not even sure how many played those in comparison >.>
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I just have a PS4 from this generation, but MS is really killing it with their backwards compatibility on the next gen. All xbox one games (including on previous 360 and original xbox games that worked on the One), with some games getting free Series X upgrades using smart delivery.
It also seems like MS has more plans in place for improving previous gen games as well if they aren't getting a Series X version.
Sony really needs to step things up -_-
Pandsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Agreed. As someone who isn't very interested in owning an Xbox of any kind, as pretty much all of the games released on Xbox will be on PC and/or Playstation as well in the future and I'm not really a fan of most MS owned properties anyway but man does the Series X sound enticing so far, in more ways than one. And if the price is right I can see myself getting somewhat tempted, especially since my PC is now starting to show its age a bit which will only get worse once the new consoles are out.

On the topic of Backwards Compatibility: It's so weird to me how Microsoft seems to care about its legacy more than Sony, despite that legacy arguably being way less important to most than that of the Playstation, especially if we're talking Singleplayer games (and I doubt the Multiplayer ones are very active anymore on either side, if they're even still up. And finding people who care enough to do some local MP can also be very difficult). At least that's how it seems to me, anyway.

I was really hoping that, by now, we'd have much better retro archives than we do. I was hoping for virtual console style services on all systems with a huge, ever-growing library. I was hoping for that to have options for buying (WITH transfer of previous purchases of the same damn game, come on!) each game or for paying for a subscription that gives you access to all of them, with the option to download or stream. I was hoping I would be able to put a disc from a previous generation version of any console into my machine and just play it off the disc. Maybe even have a way to register a unique copy to have that game tied to my account digitally so I can just put the disc on a shelf. I was hoping for that approach to let me get PSP and Vita games on my PS5 as well.

10 years ago I was really hoping for the state of things to be this way. And I wouldn't have guessed that Microsoft, of all companies, would get the closest to this dream. If anything, I would've thought things would be flipped.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
As long as FF7 Remake is playable on PS5.
Qulex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I just have a PS4 from this generation, but MS is really killing it with their backwards compatibility on the next gen. All xbox one games (including on previous 360 and original xbox games that worked on the One), with some games getting free Series X upgrades using smart delivery.
It also seems like MS has more plans in place for improving previous gen games as well if they aren't getting a Series X version.

That's what I call the definition of jumping to conclusions. Sony already said there will be more info/announcements regarding backwards compability.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 games really means that! I found so many more games to love this generation than the last, but it'd be really really really great to free up some storage space and actually sell a console for the first time in my life.

Being trapped in another state from my PS4 rn really reminds me how much I wish Sony would remember its PS2 games, though. So many great games, but so many wires and now I have to stack books on mine to hold it closed while it plays them, and HDMI TVs are just too advanced for it to look good anymore.

I know Sony wants to make money first of all, etc, but I'm never going to see a port of my favorite weird little PS2 games. I dunno.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a tech expert at all, but I heard countless time why PS4 couldn't play PS3 discs: it had a unique memory storage (or something like that, I dunno, I just play video games) that made it too different from the prior two gens for it to play those discs. So I'm not surprised at all that PS5 can't play PS3 discs. And I wouldn't expect them to bother with 1 and 2 by that point, if anything they'd probably face backlash for having BC with 1 and 2 but not 3 even if there was a logical explanation for it (since people prefer "outrage" at a company usually over actually looking into the situation).
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I'm not a tech expert at all, but I heard countless time why PS4 couldn't play PS3 discs: it had a unique memory storage (or something like that, I dunno, I just play video games) that made it too different from the prior two gens for it to play those discs. So I'm not surprised at all that PS5 can't play PS3 discs. And I wouldn't expect them to bother with 1 and 2 by that point, if anything they'd probably face backlash for having BC with 1 and 2 but not 3 even if there was a logical explanation for it (since people prefer "outrage" at a company usually over actually looking into the situation).

PS4 could actually play PS3 games, Sony just never used the system for whatever reason, people found this out when they jailbroke the system
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder what the distinction is between games that are and aren't. Is it a technical one? Is it a publisher decision? I have a lot of Japanese games in my library that are probably not particularly popular. If it's something where they have to do some work to make games compatible, they probably won't make the cut.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
If you wanna play old games, save some money, and buy old consoles for them, and some decent CRT, because anything pre PS3 looks very bad on TVs, or monitors with high definition, unless, of course, we are talking about HD remasters.

There is a whole community dedicated to that retro thing.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
If you wanna play old games, save some money, and buy old consoles for them, and some decent CRT, because anything pre PS3 looks very bad on TVs, or monitors with high definition, unless, of course, we are talking about HD remasters.

That's obviously an option, but doesn't really get to the heart of what I want, yk? I'm not in a living situation where I can have two TVs and display space for every console going back fifteen years, and it's a pain to take them out of the drawers I keep them in and untangle wires and switch all the plugs. It's cool that there's a scene for it, though!

If a console was designed with that in mind it'd be neato, basically.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:35 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

I have a PS2, PS3, and PS4 all hooked up and ready to play and eventually I'll be adding a PS5. That's along side an XBOne, a GameCube, a Dreamcast, and a Saturn. It looks like I'll be able to replace the PS4 with the PS5, but it would really save me space for more consoles if I could also replace the PS2 and PS3. I get that making one machine that can play everything through hardware off the disc is impossible, but porting and software emulating isn't and it isn't even particularly difficult. Just make games available in the Playstation store, make them available for free to install, and either pay to play or use physical discs as a key to make them playable. It doesn't seem like a difficult thing to do, even if it can't install or play from the disc it should be able to read the contents easily enough.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scias

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

That misses the entire point of what most people want. Not everyone has the time, money and space to have to two different tv sets ups, dozens upon dozens of old consoles they might not have kept and have to rebuy all over again and not everyone has the know-how of all the switches and adapters needed to make this happen.

If MS can do because, so can Sony.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
It would be great to get backwards compatibility beyond just PS4. If nothing else, Xbox is making a lot of customer-friendly moves that I like. Unfortunately, a lot of the information I've seen indicates that it's not so much that Sony can't do it, but that they don't have interest.

Backwards compatibility is always a nice thing to have. It helps with space requirements, it helps if your display setup doesn't have a lot of input ports, and there is at least a bit of piece of mind since hardware doesn't last forever.
Surihix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I will try my best to explain abt Backwards compatibility (BC). this will be long and slightly technical but u should understand some of the stuff quite easily.

All PS4 games will be BC on PS5. Just tht Sony is being careful of saying it out aloud as the backlash if a certain game is not running properly can be an issue. many will try and compare the BC to the Series X and thts what is quiet worrying as we are dealing with two different approach on BC. one is quite good at it and the other very new to it.

On BC
MS was focused on BC from the start and even designed their consoles with tht in mind. Sony went with different architectures and never really thought abt BC tht much.

The PS2 being made with some PS1 parts so tht it will be slightly BC with PS1, then the PS2 processor itself being put on the PS3, and an almost lacking PS2 software emulation on the later PS3 models were indications tht they weren't able to design a proper and cost effective emulation for their own consoles due to how varying their architectures were.
It was the same with the PS2 emulator on the PS4 and tht was able to play some re released PS2 classic games. Sony never worked on building tht emulator properly and it can be considered abandoned as of now.

With Current gen and beyond
Sony has moved to x86-64 architecture which is similar to PC with the PS4, so its quite easy for them to do BC with PS5 which is also same as PS4 architecture but with more additional co-processors that is optional to use by the devs and do not change the system environment a lot for the PS4 games.

It should be more like running the same game but on a faster and much better GPU and CPU than a lower end one. Consider u just upgraded ur PC parts and ur favorite game is running much better and stable due to tht upgrade. It should be something like that here on the PS5 with ur PS4 games.
The PS4 base and Pro modes are there as a limiter of sorts to keep the games from breaking and crashing, if they r allowed to use a lot of additional power and resources available on the PS5.

And it was AMD who were responsible for making sure tht the BC is possible on both the Series X and the PS5 as well which is kinda obvious as they were the ones who provided their GPU's and CPU's for both the Xbox one and PS4 consoles, so they were able to do a better job than anyone in making sure that their new hardware running on the next gen consoles is able to run PS4 and Xbox one games atleast natively.

Now for some tech talk
The PS4 was a weaker console for BC of any previous consoles. With the PS4 they could have done a somewhat okay PS1 and PS2 emulation, but they cannot do the PS3 emulation on tht. it was impossible simply because of the way the PS3 hardware even worked.

the PS3 hardware had the Cell processor which worked quite differently from a typical sane PC hardware that the PS4 runs on. also it was part of a super computer CPU from IBM, which Sony thought to make it more generally used like the current day CPU's Intel and AMD which failed miserably due to obvious reasons.

U have a PPE core and 6 SPE cores running at 3.2ghz as a CPU which is called the Cell processor, an Nvidia GPU called the RSX with 256mb VRAM and a 256mb normal RAM.Thts the hardware available to do all the processing for games.

What is different and makes the PS3 harder to emulate are the SPE's and the way many games used it.The SPE's can work as multi core GPU's of sorts and can do any Floating point operation quite well, even audio processing as well. it can also do stuff a typical PC CPU can.
If u want to compare that CPU to a PC one, then its a strange 8 core CPU that can work as a GPU and also as a typical CPU as well. don't compare the SPE to an typical integrated GPU.

Combined the SPE cores were powerful than the RSX GPU itself, but devs could offload stuff to the RSX as well to combine and use it with the SPE cores to do even more processing and make the graphics in their games look much better.
So u have a lot of power in the PS3 hardware but split up. so to use all of the power u need to spend time programming ur game to use it. All those complaints from the multi platform devs back then with the PS3 was due to the time it takes to code their game on the PS3 and it was quite difficult to program their game to use the SPE cores.
Only Sony's first party devs were able to use the power and push the graphics of their games to look really good for its time.

Now the PS4 CPU cannot do all that. it has an unreleased AMD jaguar APU which was an customized CPU that was quite weak for its time itself, an decently powered AMD GPU which can do better graphics than the PS3 and worked like a typical PC GPU, and then 8gb RAM.

Emulation demands more hardware than the system you are trying to emulate and if u think of PS1 and PS2 on a PS4, u could do tht with some effort.
But PS3, u need a better CPU as only a CPU can emulate the cell and emulating tht with the GPU is slower compared to emulating it on the CPU. But the PS4 CPU which is also referred to as APU also runs on lower clock speeds and higher clock speeds r required for emulating the PS3.

The PS5 emulation power
The PS5 has enough power to emulate all of Sony's consoles. even the PS3 thnx to the Zen 2 Octa core CPU which is quite good for running the x64 based PS3 emulator RPCS3, which is the only working PS3 emulator available on PC as of now. If the PS5 uses Linux, then its much easier to do all this.

this emulator demands a powerful CPU and the PS5 has it, so it can do PS3 emulation quite well. Older consoles like PS1 and PS2 can run on Mednafen or PCSX rearmed for PS1 emulation and PCSX2 for PS2 emulation on the PS5.
With this the PS5 is quite capable of emulating older consoles quite well. if Sony does the right thing and uses these emulators for BC and using a disc read method of detect and download the games tht the user wants to play and run the game from the hard drive, it would work quite well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2