• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tearmoon Empire Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote
Such a fun read, although I never thought to see Sion that way. It would be interesting if they took that path, just because his accomplices from that timeline are also quite changed now.

Keithwood might have stolen the whole book away during the kitchen sequences. They were very stereotypical of the genre but his unending fluster was really well-written.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Men's LN talk about how MC fights with terrible enemies and collects the hearts of charming girls, while women's talks about how the heroine becomes a princess and lives in an elegant castle with princes. LN's fantasy market back in the 90s?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Thoroughly enjoyed this light novel and am eagerly looking forward to more. I've never read a novel with as many as 60 chapters like Tearmoon did, but it was a fun experience. If JNC prints them in English I'll strongly consider double dipping.
One weird thing in the story was there was a widespread sentiment held by nobles to not allow their vassals to farm, causing food shortages. The nobles felt the farming was below them or something, which I found ridiculous. You're not gonna farm yourself, and what else are you going to do with the land other than hunting or something?
Otherwise, I found it even more enjoyable than Next Life as a Villainess.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Men's LN talk about how MC fights with terrible enemies and collects the hearts of charming girls, while women's talks about how the heroine becomes a princess and lives in an elegant castle with princes. LN's fantasy market back in the 90s?

Wish fulfillment fantasies never die out
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

But is Tearmoon Empire really "women's LN"? Having read it, I am not convinced that it is targeted mainly at women.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I believe it's part of J-Novel Club's "Heart" line, which consists of shoujo novels.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
reaslin wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

But is Tearmoon Empire really "women's LN"? Having read it, I am not convinced that it is targeted mainly at women.

I am not familiar with this work directly, but usually princess-focused LNs are created for a female audience. Probably the girls are very fond of reading about aristocratic intrigues. However, this design is pretty moesh, so I'm can be wrong.
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I believe it's part of J-Novel Club's "Heart" line, which consists of shoujo novels.

Well, that does make sense of course. All the same, I found it highly entertaining.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Bah, I refuse to be bound by their gendering of genres that I enjoy!
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Comparing the original WN to the LN content/synopsis;

Vol 1 is still covering WN Arc 1. This arc will be concluded in LN Vol 2. (1st arc is 142 short-ish chapters long.)

LN Vol 3 came out last month, and begins to cover WN Arc 2.

LN Vol 4 is due this coming May. The author is currently writing WN Arc 4.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 am Reply with quote
Just finished reading it today. I liked it. Fun read.

It is written differently enough from Doom and Duke that I wasn't bothered by the same themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1