• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Hathaway Anime Film Casts Kensho Ono, Rena Ueda, Junichi Suwabe

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scary-Monsters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
I hope NYAV Post will dub the series.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
Scary-Monsters wrote:

Considering how the SEED redub sounds? I personally hope not.
Scary-Monsters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Scary-Monsters wrote:

Considering how the SEED redub sounds? I personally hope not.

Fortunately their other Gundam dubs turned out just fine. On another note, I still wonder why they chose to redub SEED over Gundam 00, which could benefit heavily from a new english track
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Scary-Monsters wrote:

Fortunately their other Gundam dubs turned out just fine. On another note, I still wonder why they chose to redub SEED over Gundam 00, which could benefit heavily from a new english track

1) Personally, outside of Unicorn and Thunderbolt, I've been under impressed. I'm normally big on Gundam dubs (and most of NYAV's catalog) but I couldn't watch IBO's dub because of how non-enthusiastic a lot of it sounds, especially with regards to the first season and Mika and Orga (Bosch does not have the commanding presence Orga needs at the base of his voice) more specifically. I've not seen S2's dub so it could be better but first impressions and all. Seed's new dub, from the clips Nozomi's posted, seems to have the same issue with nobody really seeming enthusiastic about it. It's kind of a shame because Animaze's Gundam dubs were fire as has been most of NYAV's anime dubs in the last decade. Still sad we never got that second half of GaoGaiGar and Final dubbed, especially given I thought Taiga was easily one of Dan Green's best performances.

2) Mostly newly rearranged scenes and incorporating the SE's into the show. While they could have sent it back to Ocean so that we could get some reprisals, they didn't. Same thing happened with Origin really. (While there's been a couple of recasts over the years, DWG games, up until Reborn, were fairly consitent in getting as much of the English dub cast back for them.) A lot like how most stuff that gets new dubs for modern sequels don't often get the same cast outside of of ongoing stuff nowadays. I'm still getting over the shock of Funimation getting the Orphan crew back for the new show.

I disagree with 00 needing a new track. While there was some iffy performances early on, come S2 and the movie, everybody 100% fit. Sure, there was some jokes that didn't really work in the dub (Ribbons/0 Gundam ACD Colors being Amuro in the Japanese version) but overall, 00's dub is fairly solid all around. Plus that'd mean replacing Zahara as Lockon which I am 100% against. Man absolutely nailed Lockon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1