• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 New Manga Launch in Shonen Jump This Spring

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Feels like Shonen Jump is so desperate to find a new hit and popular manga. And does everyone know which manga will ended up axed after ZIPMAN?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:39 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Feels like Shonen Jump is so desperate to find a new hit and popular manga.

Not really. This turnover is pretty standard for JUMP, has been for years and years. 2019 actually had fewer new series than most of the previous years. For reference:

2019: 10 new series added, 7 cancelled as of writing
2018: 14 new series added, 11 cancelled, 1 series (Jujutsu Kaisen) confirmed for anime adaptation
2017: 11 new series added, 9 cancelled, remaining 2 series (Dr. Stone & We Never Learn) got anime
2016: 10 new series added, 7 cancelled, remaining 3 (Demon Slayer, Promised Neverland, Yuuki Yuuna) all got anime
2015: 12 new series added, 11 cancelled, 1 remaining series (Black Clover) got an anime
2014: 14 new series added, 12 cancelled, 1 ended after 5 years & anime adaptation (Hinomaru Sumo) and 1 still running with an anime (My Hero Academia)

Granted there have been years where Jump hasn't had any series stick around - 2010 didn't have any series last more than 1 year - but between the breakout success of Demon Slayer since its anime aired they're certainly not sweating for a new hit right now. Plus, while not in the print magazine, SPY X FAMILY is already selling gangbusters for Jump+ and will likely be the breakout new title of last year in hindsight.
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:07 am Reply with quote
Time manga looks good.
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:13 am Reply with quote
One of them is a gag manga and we already have 3 running in Jump already. Makes me think one of them is going to get the axe next.
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58 am Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
One of them is a gag manga and we already have 3 running in Jump already. Makes me think one of them is going to get the axe next.
Probably.
DrewH90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
So i guess Agravity will be axed next week cause they cant have 4 gag manga running at the same time and even starting a new gag manga feels pointless as its just going to be crushed by Mashle.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
It’s cruel to say, but I’d argue that this fairly cutthroat mentality is why SJ can thrive compared to Western comic companies that constantly try to prolong and relaunch unpopular titles in the hopes of getting a film or a Netflix deal (and as IDW found out, those only work if your show lasts more than one season). If you draw, you stay. If you don’t, you go home and need to try again. It is cruel, but it is effective at weeding out stories that don’t connect with audiences.
ShironoKuro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It is cruel, but it is effective at weeding out stories that don’t connect with audiences.

But that’s the thing. Do stories exist solely to connect with audiences?
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Jump is basically the Fox Broadcasting of manga.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:03 pm Reply with quote
ShironoKuro wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
It is cruel, but it is effective at weeding out stories that don’t connect with audiences.

If your story got serialized in a commercial magazine, then yes. If you just want to draw whatever you want, then might as well go indies or find smaller magazines.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:54 am Reply with quote
As we were told through Bakuman, Jump is merciless. You got 10 chapters -at its best- to prove yourself or finding another place. And I am quite sure that Bakuman's Shonen Jump was more understanding than the real one.

In any case, Kimetsu no Yaiba, The Promised Neverland and We Never Learn are in their last legs (this last one has the trick of "alternative routes" which probably would last several months more), so Shueisha really, really need some content to replace them.
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
As we were told through Bakuman, Jump is merciless. You got 10 chapters -at its best- to prove yourself or finding another place. And I am quite sure that Bakuman's Shonen Jump was more understanding than the real one.

In any case, Kimetsu no Yaiba, The Promised Neverland and We Never Learn are in their last legs (this last one has the trick of "alternative routes" which probably would last several months more), so Shueisha really, really need some content to replace them.

This is tricky.

KnY mangaka has said plenty of times that he gets inspirations from JoJo and considering we haven't seen a major announcement about this beeing the Final Arc or the Climax of the manga i wouldn't be suprised if it continues with the current status quo :

spoiler[ Tanjiro Becoming the Main Villain creating his Demon Pillars Demons with Breath and fighting the Hashira]

I know it sounds dark even for Jump but.. who knows tbh i was expecting this to be the final arc but it might not be cause Jump always announces that.

There was a post in reddit a year ago saying this was the final arc but i would like to see a confirmation to that.

Promised Neverland could be in the final arc but if it's Jump as people said it might draw to see the other side of the coin and spend 100 chapters at it.

The last one you mentioned i haven't seen it.

Hopefully though i really hope both KnY and PN end in the current arc. No one want's another Bleach...
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
Zagnaphein wrote:
The last one you mentioned i haven't seen it.

Hopefully though i really hope both KnY and PN end in the current arc. No one want's another Bleach...

Err.... the mangaka of We Never Learn finished the main story some numbers ago and now it's having "alternate routes" with the MC and the rest of the girls/harem.

Last edited by kgw on Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
ShironoKuro wrote:

Well that depends. If you’re a big, commercial company and selling issues of your stories is the lifeblood of your company, then yes, undoubtedly. Shounen Jump has remained successful during the seeming implosion of the Western comic industry in part because of the very high standard they have for their work.

It is cruel. It is ruthless. But it’s arguably the most democratic way to go about this. They wouldn’t have attempted to relaunch a failed premise 10 times because of a few Twitter crazies.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote
HxH can’t return soon enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2