• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tower of God

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I still remember those annoying manhwa fans saying that this was better than HxH or One Piece Laughing
Szaer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Comments where people seem to want to point out how Japanese works are better than everything else are so unsightly.

People who have made the comparison between HxH and Tower of God have obviously seen both and enjoyed both. So why do people want to take this negatively and try to insult manhwa fans or Korean/other countries' works?
ILOVEITToo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
For me this is by far best anime of this season
Qulex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:17 pm Reply with quote
ILOVEITToo wrote:
For me this is by far best anime of this season

Not much competition, since half of the shows got postponed. lol
Knightlive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:04 am Reply with quote
Well, for me personally as a long-time reader, my early verdict is basically as follows:

As an adaption, this anime is not stellar (it doesn't elevate the source material) nor bad (it doesn't ruin it either like Berserk or something). I feel its pretty okay an adaption. The animation values are not high, but solid throughout and some of the stylistic choices (like the more rugged look) are unusual but not bad per se. The OST is stellar and the voice work is also good.

One problem that the adaption indeed has is pacing, which is fast and sometimes to the detriment of character and world-building that happens in the webtoon. This is obviously a consequence of them having a 13-episode cour (probably dictated by risk-averse budgeting not wanting a 25 episode run for an unproven set of circumstances like adapting a manwha) and the endpoint they want to adapt. I am reasonably sure if this proves to be popular enough (which it seems to be doing, given the usual numbers and Crunchyrolls own rankings) this may become better if later seasons are budgeted on a more realistic chaopter/episode-rate of adaption.

In that regard:

Quote:
At a brief 13 episode run, this isn't going to be the next epic shonen battle anime, but it's sure to be a lot of fun while it's airing.

I'm pretty sure if this is a decent success, it will not stay at this. This will probably cover 76 chapters of the webtoon and there are 400 more for future seasons.

Lastly

Quote:
I still remember those annoying manhwa fans saying that this was better than HxH or One Piece

I want to adress this point. 'm a logntime part of the fandom and I seldom see people claiming this is outright better then OP/HxH or other series. What is often said is that it is "The One Piece of webtoons" because it follows a similar general story-structure and has a decent popularity in its own medium while being an ultra-longrunner with no end yet in sight. It also has a very expansive cast of quirky characters, a good balance of humor with drama and can hit big high/epic moments if it wnats to. The comparisons with HxH are for similar reasons.

Now, talking source material here (the animes are very different in terms of episodes aired, format, budget etc.)I personally consider One Piece to be a cut above both ToG and HxH. But (and this is just my personal taste), from todays standpoint I can say that I personally enjoy ToG more, given that the Art ha sevolved a lot for the series while it kinda stagnated for HxH (or wekly releases it got worse at times) and the series continues going strong while HxH is spoiler[in a very complicated, overly complex arc for a long time while no new chapters arrive for months or even years at a time. Also, the whole Dark continent twist is something I am not very fond of.]. So I don't know why you think its funny that people compare ToG favorably against HxH based on the first three episodes of the anime.
JadeShineBright

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Knightlive wrote:
Well, for me personally as a long-time reader, my early verdict is basically as follows:

As an adaption, this anime is not stellar (it doesn't elevate the source material) nor bad (it doesn't ruin it either like Berserk or something). I feel its pretty okay an adaption. The animation values are not high, but solid throughout and some of the stylistic choices (like the more rugged look) are unusual but not bad per se. The OST is stellar and the voice work is also good.

One problem that the adaption indeed has is pacing, which is fast and sometimes to the detriment of character and world-building that happens in the webtoon. This is obviously a consequence of them having a 13-episode cour (probably dictated by risk-averse budgeting not wanting a 25 episode run for an unproven set of circumstances like adapting a manwha) and the endpoint they want to adapt. I am reasonably sure if this proves to be popular enough (which it seems to be doing, given the usual numbers and Crunchyrolls own rankings) this may become better if later seasons are budgeted on a more realistic chaopter/episode-rate of adaption.

In that regard:

Quote:
At a brief 13 episode run, this isn't going to be the next epic shonen battle anime, but it's sure to be a lot of fun while it's airing.

I'm pretty sure if this is a decent success, it will not stay at this. This will probably cover 76 chapters of the webtoon and there are 400 more for future seasons.

Lastly

Quote:
I still remember those annoying manhwa fans saying that this was better than HxH or One Piece

I want to adress this point. 'm a logntime part of the fandom and I seldom see people claiming this is outright better then OP/HxH or other series. What is often said is that it is "The One Piece of webtoons" because it follows a similar general story-structure and has a decent popularity in its own medium while being an ultra-longrunner with no end yet in sight. It also has a very expansive cast of quirky characters, a good balance of humor with drama and can hit big high/epic moments if it wnats to. The comparisons with HxH are for similar reasons.

Now, talking source material here (the animes are very different in terms of episodes aired, format, budget etc.)I personally consider One Piece to be a cut above both ToG and HxH. But (and this is just my personal taste), from todays standpoint I can say that I personally enjoy ToG more, given that the Art ha sevolved a lot for the series while it kinda stagnated for HxH (or wekly releases it got worse at times) and the series continues going strong while HxH is spoiler[in a very complicated, overly complex arc for a long time while no new chapters arrive for months or even years at a time. Also, the whole Dark continent twist is something I am not very fond of.]. So I don't know why you think its funny that people compare ToG favorably against HxH based on the first three episodes of the anime.

We've got a Big Brain in here, folks! You absolutely NAILED that analysis, my friend.

The original poster literally has no accurate idea as to what ToG has in store for 'anime onlys.' Even with this level of adaptation, I feel it will still compete with the heavy hitters once it reaches it's stride.

I've seen/am keeping up with both One Piece and Hunter X Hunter, and can safely say; No one could tell by the first 13 episodes, what sheer quality was to come from them either.
TUSF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At a brief 13 episode run, this isn't going to be the next epic shonen battle anime,
I mean, I see this sentiment a lot, but I don't get what's being said. BnHA had a 13-episode season 1 too?

Anyways, weak first episode (admittedly the early webtoon chapters were kinda weak) but I'm really liking how the other characters are being treated so far.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
Don't know the source material, but if this is what a mediocre beginning is, the rest must be absolutely BANGING...I look forward every Wednesday to this, best new show of the season! And I'm falling for a lizard girl...
Knightlive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
If you know One Piece, imagine it to be kinda like that. The first few islands are not bad by any means, like meeting Zoro and Usopp and fighting Morgan and the Cat pirates. But it kinda starts building up from there with more interesting themes and characters while also being able to use the world building that was sketched out in these early arcs.

This is kinda like that. The early arcs are perfectly okay by themselves, but they are also introducing a lot of characters, themes and worldbuilding that later really comes into its own and allows the series to hit its real stride.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Early ToG was so good, sad it's just a straightforward battle shounen nowadays.

I kind of dig the artstyle, but agree that the art is inconsistent. This episode had some decent scenes though, I expected worse when this show was announced. I wonder if this show is going to change the minds of those manhwa/manhua haters a little. Overall I'm happy with this adaption and I think it was a great choice for a first webtoon adaption.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I found this episode to be annoying. spoiler[In particular, with how the story handles the rules of the game. The whole "bet" she laid out just didn't have any stakes. Well, apparently if he doesn't she'll just kill him for it... Why? How? Isn't there a specific rule against killing another player?] Maybe I missed something but this was just nagging for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The art style is kinda growing on me. It feels weirdly kinetic somehow, like a work in progress that just couldn't wait for polishing before it burst onto the screen.

At least it's not as hilariously awful as this week's Tamayomi, which had so many continuity lapses that it was like the animators were not allowed to communicate in any way, and all key frames were done by different artists each working in isolation. I suppose that might not be far from the truth now, but we do have Zoom and file transfers...

So count your blessings, kids! Merely sketchy's not so bad. Very Happy
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I saw your examples and they were possibly the worst failures I've seen. ToG has no real problems in the art department if you ask me.
Aleon29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
I am quite fond of the art style.
I reread the early episodes of ToG Webtoon, and this art style resembles the artist's early work. I believe this is on purpose, and the art style will evolve over time, just as the webtoon did.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
Enjoying this so far, but Crunchyroll's insistence on keeping the protagonist's name as Bam, rather than Yoru, is just really annoying. I get that it's the actual name in the original Korean work, but when everyone says one thing, putting something completely different in the subs is just distracting. They might as well have just called him "Night" in the subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8