• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-02-01]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He's looking for the first DVD of Mutineer's Moon, you see.

The bunny ain't the only one!

Great answers as always, Zac.

How often to you have to replace your desk after receiving "anime series proposals" from banging your head on it. Or do you hit the delete key after reading the first sentence?

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Just wondering, in the first few Answerfans paragraphs, is the word 'change' purposely written as Change! or is that some sort of accident? It's kind of odd... Confused
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming any person with the creativity and know how that would want to get a show into production, live action or animated, also knows where to properly aim their ambitions at. This is the problem with the owning the Answerman column. Everyone who has no clue of what they're doing thinks its a good idea to send Zac their proposal for "Rutona the Samurai, Quest for Kageho".
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
What makes the ending to Cowboy Bebop work is that even though both audience and characters alike know it's coming, there's always that glimmer of hope that hey, maybe he'll barely make it out alive by the skin of his teeth like he does a couple other times in the series - and then what you expect to happen but hope doesn't, does.

Spike is somebody who lives his life his own way and the rest of the world be damned, down to the very end. It just wouldn't have felt right if somebody that fatalistic and unconcerned with his own well-being suddenly saw the light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
First post :-p

(never first post on ANN, you'll have your post deleted at best, be banned at worst).

Are you talking about this column or everything else?

Anyways I found this week's Answerman to be one of the funniest I have read in quite a while. Especially with the car references. Fortunately while I haven't seen anybody come up with anything to try and send to get it produced, it doesn't mean I haven't seen fanfiction. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but a lot of the time it's probably better if it just stays fanfiction.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One I recall from a while back featured a lead named "Mitsubishi".

Quote:
I'm not trying to stomp on anyone's hopes or dreams here...

Yeah...Some dreams should be crushed. Just because it's your dream doesn't mean it isn't also stupid beyond words.

I must say though, I think there are probably fans out there with genuinely good ideas for anime. These are probably also the ones who are smart enough to realize that Zac is not the emperor of anime and can not magically make your anime happen. In fact, they are probably smart enough to realize that even if they do have a good idea, it just isn't plausable to get it actually made. The only thing close to possible is to try and make a career for yourself as an OEL Manga artist.

Quote:
Well, the only example you gave were those silly Anime Castle ads, which I'm pretty sure are designed to be silly and attractive to the eye. If you say "What? That's a stupid question!" and then click "No" - or don't even click anything, but you notice the name "Anime Castle", then their advertisement worked. They might seem stupid, but people talk about them for that reason - hence, it works.

Really? I can't speak for others but I've delibarately avoided them beause I don't want to support somewhere that uses such smutty advertising methods. I'm suprised you think their intentionally silly as well.

Quote:
Manga or Anime?

Wait, didn't we do this a while ago? I can't recall exactly when but I could swear we did.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Is it the internet's fault people can be so deluded as to think ripping off their favorite anime is a stunning act of creative talent?

On one level, I can kinda understand what's going on inside their heads...I wanted to be a writer, and at first I couldn't think of anything except blatant rip-offs of my own favorite TV show...but I knew that's what I was doing and that it wasn't good enough, and eventually I had ideas that were at least kind of original, if not of high quality. Maybe this kind of excited imitation is an important step into developing one's own creativity, but to actually think it could be the real deal!

I blame DeviantArt. There's always plenty of creatively bland people around ready to praise anything. Gives people big heads.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He used fire magic. "Ki" means fire in Japanese.

火 = ka or hi
炎 = en or honoo

Apparently the submitter had no idea...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
...Answerman... you speak as if shonen fight anime is actually GOOD.

I think the idea that these proposals lack quality really depend on your point of reference. Most shonen fight anime lack quality; all these people are doing is emulating that lack of quality down to the letter.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:

火 = ka or hi
炎 = en or honoo

Ya mean a weeaboo schoolchild used the Japanese language incorrectly?! Shocked
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised to find the responses written for this week's question were not from series I expected (except Chrono Crusade).
The "manga vs. anime" question being recycled also caught me off guard. As long as the responses stay fresh, I don't really have a problem with that.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Quote:

火 = ka or hi
炎 = en or honoo

Ya mean a weeaboo schoolchild used the Japanese language incorrectly?! Shocked

I am shocked :O!

also i figure ill comment on the manga or anime thing. I think lately I've turned more to manga, but I do enjoy both, and sometimes I partake in both the anime and the manga for series I especially enjoy. They both have their ups and downs. I like buying manga more cause its generally cheaper Anime hyper!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
As much as I appreciate Michael Loudon's mature, non-hokey attempt to changing the message of the end of Cowboy Bebop, it would actually change the message of the entire series, and wouldn't mesh well with all that had been before it. Cowboy Bebop is about failures, near-victories, misses, and tragedies. There are no real happy endings, and we know from the start that spoiler[Spike is doomed]. If you attempt to push optimism on it, it ceases to be Cowboy Bebop. Not only has Spike lost his reason to continue to exist by the end, but as far as the story is concerned, there's no reason for him to continue to exist, nor for the story to continue. That's why I'd argue that it has a perfect ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:

火 = ka or hi
炎 = en or honoo

And apparently neither did I! That's what I get for going on memory.

Notably he did go out of his way in that particular proposal to explain that "ki means fire in Japanese" and then went on to explain how "hardcore fans" will love it and "casual fans" will think it's just a cool Japanese name.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
Any chance you could ask that bunny to look for copies of Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2041 while he's at it?

Out of all the "question" marketing taglines, possibly the worst is Spiral's, "What are the Blade Children?" I haven't seen Spiral for myself, but apparently the anime itself doesn't answer that question. Speaking of those taglines and the Answerfans response about Shuffle!, I don't consider Shuffle! to fall into the same "harem" genre as Love Hina, Tenchi Muyo, Girls Bravo and the rest. But Funi's tagline follows the non-risky path of saying, "Hey, this anime's just like all these others that you've seen before, so add it to your collection!", rather than trying to bring out Shuffle's unique selling points. But, on the "quacks like a duck" principle, the first two volumes will (deservedly) get reviews saying "This is a bunch of generic harem/fanservice junk with 2-dimensional characters and clichéd situations." Which is a lot to get through before it "eventually gets better."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8