• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: School-Live! Manga Gets Sequel Starting in June

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy192

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:31 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect a sequel but I am definitely happy to see it

Now we just need a season 2 for the anime
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 am Reply with quote
The ending of the manga to me feels like it was really rushed and left out so much so I'm not too sure how I feel about more of it coming so I will just wait and see how it goes.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
one of my favorite manga/anime of all time. this is a bit of good news that I needed with all of the recent bad news.
toprak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 am Reply with quote
I love this manga so far but I wonder does it need a sequel, I don't know actually Anime catgrin
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
Didn't expect that but why not, it might turn it into a better memory.
tomdean

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:41 am Reply with quote
happy news but let's hope they can create something that is actually good, rather than making quick bucks off nostalgia
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news! I love this series, and always felt that the ending was a bit rushed.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
i am curious where this positivity and demand for a sequel came from.

All I know without a doubt is School-Live, the manga after where the anime left along, gradually drew a lot of animosity and disinterest for good reason.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

All I know without a doubt is School-Live, the manga after where the anime left along, gradually drew a lot of animosity and disinterest for good reason.

In a way, it's sort of like Bleach: there were so many detractors who, "for good reason", were vocally opposed to how that story turned out, that people weren't at all prepared for the number of fans who absolutely lost their minds in happiness over the announcement that the anime was going to come back. It's easy to overlook how many people still like something when the people who don't are so thorough in their explanations of why they think that thing is bad.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

In a way, it's sort of like Bleach: there were so many detractors who, "for good reason", were vocally opposed to how that story turned out, that people weren't at all prepared for the number of fans who absolutely lost their minds in happiness over the announcement that the anime was going to come back. It's easy to overlook how many people still like something when the people who don't are so thorough in their explanations of why they think that thing is bad.

Not quite the same thing. Everyone knows Bleach was still popular to casuals first of all. Plus the arc the new anime is focusing on isn't what people complained about in the manga. Bad comparison to begin with. But that last line sounds like you're trying to nicely say that people are wrong for having a different opinion. "why they think something is bad". Not really a "think". To them, they KNOW it's bad. It's an opinion and that's how opinions work.

It's more like the whole Aniplex USA pricing thing. Aniplex of America is factually overpriced for the vast majority of people. Most people can't afford to spend $250 for 13 episodes. But it doesn't matter. A small number of people is all they need. They need just enough people to make a profit. School Live and Bleach are the same way. It's impossible to know if there's more haters than not but as long as there's enough fans to make it profitable then having more haters than fans doesn't really matter.

TLDR: Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's not greatly disliked by even more people, even by the same people that use to love it
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
But that last line sounds like you're trying to nicely say that people are wrong for having a different opinion. "why they think something is bad".

It's more that I've been doing a ton of academic writing on media criticism these past few weeks, and as a result I've settled in to a really detached epistemological tone when talking about people's opinions about media. Very Happy That being said, I think a lot of the things you bring up in your post (like people strongly disliking things they used to love, or it not mattering how many fans vs. haters of a franchise there are as long as that franchise turns a profit) actually support my comparison of School-Live and Bleach, at least in regards to how it isn't necessarily surprising that something that, as cookiemanstah notes, got its fair share of hate, could nevertheless generate a lot of excitement/positivity about the possibility of a sequel.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Since I never got around to following the post-anime part of the manga, I am curious as to why it collected a body of detractors. Perhaps someone could summarize that in appropriate spoiler tags?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Since I never got around to following the post-anime part of the manga, I am curious as to why it collected a body of detractors. Perhaps someone could summarize that in appropriate spoiler tags?

The two criticisms I've seen pop up the most are:

spoiler[- introducing a ton of new characters, without devoting as much time as people felt would have been necessary to fully develop each of them (and, furthermore, that the time that was devoted to these new characters could have been better spent on the girls from the anime). Additionally, depending on who you ask, some of the new characters sucked in some pretty major ways.]

spoiler[- the usual sorts of (often-deserved) criticisms that zombie apocalypse stories get when they attempt to wrap everything up: some people feel that things that weren't explained should have been given explanations, some people feel that things that were explained should have been left unexplained, and some people feel that the explanations we were given weren't particularly well thought-out.]

I'm sure there are other criticisms, but these are the two that I most vividly remember. I think both have some merits, but in no way did either of them ruin the series for me.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
So, will it be a full sequel or “where are they now” epilogue a la Scum Wish's Decora?

@BodaciousSpacePirate As for the first, in my opinion, it was a traditional attempt to lengthen the work, which already managed to say almost everything that it could. This does not destroy its premise, but it seems a little redundant.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
The western releases of the manga, still have not caught up with the Japanese manga.

I think the creator of the manga wanted a more spoiler[human threat] in the later half of the manga series. Problem for me was that the new characters that were to provide thatspoiler[threat, were unappealing]. Maybe that was the point, but I just didn't care for them. Another issue I had was that things got confusing. For me it was hard to understand fully what was going on.

All that said, I still love the original characters, and still want to know what happens to them. Listening to the fans who have read the Japanese manga releases, it seems the final volumes will be an exercise in frustration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2