• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Kakushigoto is the Go-To Cushy Show of Spring

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Easily tied with "Yesterday" for my favorite of the season. Great comedy, and great "feels" moments. It really seems like a show that has a purpose.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd wondered about "Komawari sketch" and "Your lie in December" when I saw the episode titles. But now with "I''s" and "Saishou (mai) heiki kanojo", I can see the pattern.

I haven't figured out the puns in the other episode titles, though.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
In a season of fantastic shows, this one continues to rise to the top week after week for me.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I liked SZS a lot when it first came out, and then kinda burnt out on it because a lot of it was just the mangaka complaining about stuff that grinded his gears. But the bizarro characters and oblique nerd references tossed around everywhere kept me in (like how the opener for the second season is one long, long reference to the original Kamen Rider, with a random cameo by the Straw Hats for good measure). I'm amazed he's toned down and made what is otherwise a very heartfelt domestic comedy, I definitely need to check this out.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like when Kakushi tries to take cooking lessons to make better meals for Hime, only to find out they don't accept single men

That hit pretty close as both a single guy in his 30s that takes care of his parents and as someone who has a lot of divorced/abandoned male friends. The latest have tried o join support groups to no avial, the worse were the government funded ones, that follow the letter to the law and the law says they are "single mother" centres , so no fathers are allowed. Its kind of how an early draft on punishing people for sharing privately send nude pictures was redacted so it only punished people sharing pictures of women but it was ok to share pictures of men.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
I liked SZS a lot when it first came out, and then kinda burnt out on it because a lot of it was just the mangaka complaining about stuff that grinded his gears. But the bizarro characters and oblique nerd references tossed around everywhere kept me in (like how the opener for the second season is one long, long reference to the original Kamen Rider, with a random cameo by the Straw Hats for good measure). I'm amazed he's toned down and made what is otherwise a very heartfelt domestic comedy, I definitely need to check this out.

I was thinking about why I've soured on this series as it has gone on, and it's funny what you said above because it's exactly the conclusion I came to. At first glance this did seem like a heartfelt domestic comedy but it has turned into a constant barrage of how much the mangaka hates his job. This series is just one long rant about the publishing industry with a cute daughter (and she's extremely cute) sprinkled on top.

I can see where others would still enjoy it but I've been mostly bored the past 5+ episodes unfortunately
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I'd wondered about "Komawari sketch" and "Your lie in December" when I saw the episode titles. But now with "I''s" and "Saishou (mai) heiki kanojo", I can see the pattern.

I haven't figured out the puns in the other episode titles, though.

The ones I can recognize without looking up are "Yarikuri Circus" in ep.4 (Karakuri Circus), "Soredemo Hachi wa Mawattekuru" in ep.5 (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru), "School Randoseru" in ep.6 (School Rumble) and "Inuhoshiki" in ep.7 (Inuyashiki).

What's "I''s" a reference to by the way?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for adding to the list.

vonPeterhof wrote:
What's "I''s" a reference to by the way?

The difficult-to-search-for I"s manga and OAVs: manga#2721.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1