• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Unveils 1st Visuals From Its 1st CG Feature, Earwig and the Witch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
Wow that's CG? It looks almost like stop-motion to me, how interesting.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
I would need to see this in motion but so far so good. Very toyetic.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I have a different and controversial opinion on this matter. This looks absolutely terrible. So rubbery and fake-looking, with no soul to it. This could very well end up being the first Ghibli movie I have zero interest in. I really don't like this style of animation. There's a reason I've grown so weary of CG movies over the years because most of the trailers I've seen seem to be copycats of one another. (There are some exceptions, to be fair, but still, I find their flashy, in-your-face, loud music, crude humor emphasis marketing to be distasteful.) I give Pixar a pass because in all fairness, they know how to make a good film for the most part (Cars 2 apparently disappointed many viewers). Many other studio trailers I've seen, however, have not lived up to that. It's one of the reasons I have no interest in Disney's CG animated movies or remakes. There's no heart and soul to the aesthetic. I feel that there should be an inbetween balance regarding 2D and 3DCG. One form of animation shouldn't be excluded in favor of another. Both should co-exist without compromising one another. In the meantime, I might very well end up avoiding this film altogether. And this is from a huge Ghibli fan!

Even Ghibli's weakest movie so far, Tales from Earthsea, at least to me, looks considerably better than this film. I have a feeling this may end up being the studio's first real dud. I hope I'm wrong, but Miyazaki's true swan song can't come soon enough after this. I would hate to see Ghibli permanently adopting this CG, rubbery style of animation. Or all the Japanese animation studios for that matter.

Last edited by TurnerJ on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
There's a reason I've grown so weary of CG movies over the years because all of the trailers I've seen seem to be copycats of one another.

Except of course they’re not. There’s a marked difference in how say Delgo looks in comparison to say Epic.

TurnerJ wrote:

I give Pixar a pass because in all fairness, they know how to make a good film.

Have you seen Cars 2?

TurnerJ wrote:

There has to be an inbetween balance regarding 2D and 3DCG. One form of animation shouldn't be excluded in favor of another.

2D animation isn’t being excluded in favor of 3D especially if we’re looking at countries like Japan.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The characters do have that Ghibli look to them (the faces), but I don't know if CG will be the right route or not.

Either way, if the animation isn't good, I'll look more for the characters and story and see how they fare (and I highly doubt all studios in Japan will switch to 3D permanently).

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The way in which the CGI looks in last image (the one with Earwig lined up with the other children) gives me Snack World vibes.

TurnerJ wrote:
Even Ghibli's weakest movie so far, Tales from Earthsea

Is that why seemingly no one talks about that movie?

Sailor Sedna wrote:
(and I highly doubt all studios in Japan will switch to 3D permanently)

I agree. Why would they?
Junovm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This looks pretty good. Something different for once. Catiously excited
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to know why people don't like the CGI in this not including a personal bias against CGI? This looks like a major improvement over other CGI stuff like some of Polygon's stuff. It looks very fluid and expressive to me.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TurnerJ wrote:
There's a reason I've grown so weary of CG movies over the years because all of the trailers I've seen seem to be copycats of one another.

Except of course they’re not. There’s a marked difference in how say Delgo looks in comparison to say Epic.

TurnerJ wrote:

I give Pixar a pass because in all fairness, they know how to make a good film.

Have you seen Cars 2?

TurnerJ wrote:

There has to be an inbetween balance regarding 2D and 3DCG. One form of animation shouldn't be excluded in favor of another.

2D animation isn’t being excluded in favor of 3D especially if we’re looking at countries like Japan.

Well I'm at least glad to hear that about Japan. I meant to say that most of the CG film trailers I've seen seem to me to be copycats of one another.

I did hear about Cars 2 and I haven't seen that movie at all, but I am aware that that WAS a dud on Pixar's resume. But for the most part these guys have done good works, so the good outweighs the bad.

Sorry if I sounded like I was being a grump about this.
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

Nah you're fine. It was a well rounded opinion with plenty of reasoning as to why you feel that way, and that's what needs to be heard sometimes. People may disagree, but at least you've sparked the conversation.

On another note, I'm curious to see the animation. If they somehow manage to translate that trademark fluidity of theirs to CG format then I'll be really impressed. The stills do look great, but there's just something that feels flat about it. Can't really put my finger on it.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I wonder where Ghibli will go after this film and Miyazaki's? Someone was telling me that they'll close up for good after that, but because Suzuki hasn't said anything of the sort, I think it's premature to assume something like that's going to happen. Yes, Miyazaki is getting old, but his studio could somehow find a way to still function.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
I wouldn´t mind if Ghibli closed for good after this. They had a good long run. Longer than some US studios and famous production companies. Nothing lasts forever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:26 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

You're nowhere near as bad "as the usual 3DCG sucks" Grumps.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:03 am Reply with quote
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I like how the hair looks, but not much else.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
The designs look good but the textures seem flat especially in the skin tones. It will depend if they use traditional animation or anime style. I just hope if looks fluid and bad like Polygon's weird attempt.

I'm a huge fan of this author's work hopefully it turns out so we can get more of her works turned into movies like any of the Crestomanci books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2