• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Just wrapped it up too. Not a very surprising ending, but fulfilling.

And the light novels go past this point, this series seems pretty likely to have a second season to me and even if it's not coming the light novels are getting translated so I figure we'll get to read the rest of the story anyway.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
I liked the ending, and am pleased that they didn't force a cliffhanger on us.

Although, apparently, Japanese LN fans were upset, because there's a scene right after it left off that they wanted to see. Not sure myself what it is, but a friend looked it up and said that it would've been a better place to leave off.
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I liked the ending, and am pleased that they didn't force a cliffhanger on us.

Although, apparently, Japanese LN fans were upset, because there's a scene right after it left off that they wanted to see. Not sure myself what it is, but a friend looked it up and said that it would've been a better place to leave off.

It's basically a cliffhanger for the next arc.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (finale)

Whew, wild ride of Re:Zero. I did not quite see Subaru's idea of abusing the witch killing listener thing as a way to get Betelgeuse, but I had thought earlier that he could have tried it on the whale. Really kind of awesome how Subaru was kind of able to be a hero with the help of Otto, and actually be the one to physically deal with the danger. And with his heroic act came the kind of humility of motivation for his acts that was the big sticking point half way through. And really interesting that Betelgeuse was earlier saying those sort of things, showing Subaru kind of facing what he was earlier.

Subaru was able to say what he had been feeling about Emilia, it his own feelings, and if there is more I would be confident that more would be done. Rem kind of stole the show earlier, so Emilia needed a scene. Her role was really at risk of totally being eclipsed by Rem.

To summarise feelings about this series, I feel really good about it. Re:Zero started out being a bit generic, but I think that it was an underlying theme in how this show kind of directly looked at problems with the genre. So much of the series left me really looking forward to the next episode, where they might have been cliffhangers to some extent it never really felt like it got ridiculous. At the start I was not sold on the idea of the show, I felt that although the restarting after being killed to try and figure a way to win was a novel idea, I felt that it might only work to cheapen interaction of what initially looked like a more generic series, that it might not even be able to keep up with some of the character interacted differently with between them. But Re:Zero really kind of excelled at it, and turned the arcs into mini mysteries.

The characters were a big surprise, and Subaru was now allowed to get away with normal trappings that a kind of insert otaku character might get. Frame of minds of some motivations were almost relentlessly attacked, where Subaru was forced to really face weakness and grow into the role that his place as a protagonist demanded. And other characters. Around episode 13 kind of felt like a particular point out of kind of shallow characters, but instead it kind of became one example of how characters could seem a bit shallow with their place in the show at first, before finding them to be more complex as we got to learn about them. Rem in particular was kind of awesome despite being one of a pair of low energy twin sister maids. There were kind of usual character types common of the genre, like the maid thing, but rather than straight up hate on that being a popular element it was kind of treated as something okay to like. Even Betelgeuse who at first felt like a sigh worthy over the top villain actually became a character that I found entertaining in the face of being such a character.

Giving a rating for the series is kind of feeling a bit hard. It had a bunch of really cool and interesting things, and it went beyond just being ideas and generally pulled it all off in execution. It had what many would call failings common with this sort genre, like some possessive ideas of female heroines, but in general this is a genre I really like, and I think that it actually brought it to attention such ideas. Animation was pretty great, as was setting tones and artistic merit, the music was good, acting was good, and just plain the story was good. By various considerations personally to me, I think that I will give it a Masterpiece rating (10/10). I think that Re:Zero is one of those special anime, and one of the most important of the year.
teapartyproject

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
last episode

whether there will be a second season for this anime Rolling Eyes
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
I really wanna say Masterpiece, but I have a rule to only give completed shows that rating. This thing still has some more arcs and closure, so like Hunter x Hunter 2011, I'll have to settle for "Excellent."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I really wanna say Masterpiece, but I have a rule to only give completed shows that rating. This thing still has some more arcs and closure, so like Hunter x Hunter 2011, I'll have to settle for "Excellent."

To me, a show does not have to be completed for me to have awarded it a Masterpiece rating. Closure is good, but I have various other thoughts like how creative, well made, how I had to watch more, and or how it defines the genre and or plays against it.

Out of the currently 773 things I have watched in full, I have rated 20 of them as "Masterpiece": Bakemonogatari, Barakamon, Bunny Drop, Clannad and Clannad After Story, Death Note, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Inukami (movie), Kanon, Kokoro Connect, Log Horizon (season 1), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Madoka Magica Rebellion, School-Live, Shirobako, Spice and Wolf (season 1), Summer Wars, Toradora, and now Re:Zero. Granted a couple up there I might say are in there from my early watching, I am not such a big fan of Death Note now and Inukami is probably more of a guilty pleasure that meant more to me when I was a little younger. Some of them are even early seasons that I did not afford the same height of rating to the sequels. (I had actually until now forgot to rate Rebellion, but I actually do think that it was up to the level of the TV series)

ReZero just kind of ticks all my boxes of what I consider the highest level of anime. It was as smartly made and enjoyable to look at, (and listen to) it felt like it engaged the audience. It had elements that I love about its particular genre, yet kind of dared to challenge others, where the growth of the characters did not feel like it just followed a tired old path. It could totally fall apart after this point, but so far it is pretty great.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
I understand. Maybe I should be more specific though. The fact that there's more content to be adapted doesn't bother me as much as the fact that there are so many unanswered questions and things that leave you feeling like the story is incomplete. I could handle something like Hunter x Hunter, because that at least resolves the main goal of the protagonist. Re:Zero essentially just finished "another arc" rather than anything super special.

And I swear to god, if Konosuba is getting a second season and this isn't, there will be WAR.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

If I was a cynical person I might suggest that they were keeping that scene, whatever it is, for an OVA episode on the discs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
So I was perusing the Mother's Basement channel at YouTube when I came across this epic, 2 hour 27 minute debate* -- posted on October 19th -- on the merits of the show. It's nothing less than a friggin' podcast. Here is the MediaFire download page.

This is what I've written:
Pros: Not only does the guy get the girl, but he grows.
Cons: There are enough unexplained things that prevent this from being 11/11. Therefore, I'm rating this 10/11.
EDIT: Because of episode #18 I am bumping my rating up by one notch.

Yes, I admit to projecting myself onto Subaru Natsuki.....

*slightly NSFW
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
For me, RE: Zero has a lot of the ingredients to be great. But I can't really say much about it anymore because it's incomplete. I really hope they end up animating all of the material. Somehow that seems unlikely to me, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Memory Snow (OAV)

Been a while since we have seen anything from the show, or not since I was only now just getting the BD of the show, which I am meaning to rewatch, Isekai Quartet has also been running, which I might want to bring up a bit later. But even if it was a terrible fansub translation, I just watched the hour long OAV of Re:ZERO, the subtitle of "Memory Snow" conjuring up that it is going to involve the cold, and set during the events of the show between after Subaru saved Rem from her self hatred but before going to the capital. As much as it maybe looked like it was going to be dramatic, this was much more on the lighter side for this series, mostly some fun and bonding of characters, with maybe light foreshadowing. Something does have to be said about the scene towards the end where Puck created a wonder of snow that gave fancy to characters who would play a part later, which is nice, before such people also including Betelgeuse and his group.

A quick reference that I greatly enjoyed was when Subaru was hoping there could be someway to combat the cold, such as defeating some ice king monster, cutting away to an image of Kazuma and gang taking on such event. Said event in that show was actually one of the more brutal parts where it kind of spoiler[became a bit Re:Zero when Kazuma was just suddenly killed], almost like a foreshadow that this would be on the lighter side.

Especially likable would probably be more of Rem at the point of fawning over both Ram and Subaru, since the series pretty much had them pretty separated after that part. Although, the best was probably spoiler[drunk Emilia and Rem]. Anyway, I enjoyed it, and with the parody current release of Isekai Quartet that has seen this cast with that of Konosuba, Overlord and Tanya the Evil, I hope we get more Konosuba in the future. Maybe I would like to have watched this in a subs that was easier to understand and I could catch onto what I was sure was some sort of foreshadowing about Beatrice. I give the OAV a rating of Good (7/10).

Also a good moment, Emilia admitting that she thought Subaru was around 11 or something, while being very coy about her own age is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
Watched the next OAV, semi sequel to Memory Snow, but mostly a flashback prequel that shows Emilia's history with Puck. Really feels like Subaru tries to insert himself in when Emilia and Puck share this history, like a lot more than what Subaru has shared, although apparently more of a father daughter relationship. I do enjoy that little Spirit. Emilia has been through some tough times with her history of being discriminated, with her practically being a saint to not just be angry.

I rate this OAV as Good, it is again worth seeing, especially if you are invested in Emilia and Puck.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 (episode 26)

Just on top of Rem having her existence (memories and name) eaten, it had to make Crusch that I was also a big fan of get affected to. At the very least there is a living body of Rem, and Crush is still able to walk around just without her memories. Really weird to see Crusch act all meek like she did, but her strong personality is still there. Felis and Wilhelm are strong behind Crusch, although Felis wants to break the truce to protect Crusch from further harm, while Wilhelm thinks it should stay, Crusch so far agreeing to keep it.

Subaru in general is pretty crushed over what has happened to Rem, even actually killed himself in an unsuccessful attempt to turn back time to save her. Hopefully they will be able to bring her back. Her body still existing should do something for Rem, to see that she indeed has a sister that without would leave a big hole in her character.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
26:

(I'm gonna ramble a bit before coming to the episode itself, bear with me)

It's been several years since the first season, and I didn't bother watching the Director's Cut. I only remembered the important moments that happened back then, and I was a bit worried if *(re)watching it is a prerequisite. Personally I don't think so, much to my relief.

Although the story continues right where the first season left off, it didn't really rely too much on the small details. Emilia is a half-elf which makes many people afraid or hate her, she's somewhat known as Satella which is seen as a taboo, they struck an alliance with the various kingdoms in order to defeat the Archbishops of Sin, they defeated the White Whale with Crusch, and finally he beat Petelgeuse. And yes, Subaru has the unexplained ability to go back in time randomly while retaining his memories, this ability being the overarching crux of the show. That's all I remembered and frankly, I think that's enough for people to get on with this season.

I remember being unimpressed with the first season. Oh another isekai, I thought. Then there's whole Subaru's ability, and him having to relive his nightmares over and over again. The part where he's being constantly reminded how he's not the hero he's cracked up to be, and just powerless to do anything (except preventing "bad endings", without anyone knowing). The characters' sheer genuineness is what wins me over, and even if Subaru still spouts about being the hero, I know he's thoroughly earned his way to self-proclaim it.

Okay, the episode itself.

Nothing complicated happened. Crusch and Rem got ambushed by two Archbishops, where Crusch loses her arm and memories (thank you Gluttony) and Rem loses her memories, "identity" (I'll simplify it as this, when basically nobody remembers who she is), and is suffering the "Sleeping Beauty disease" (is this the work of Greed? Seems to have some kind of telekinesis, but he can also do this?).

I'm impressed that Crusch is adamant for wanting to move ahead despite memory loss. It makes me wonder if memories and character exist independently of one another. Her meekness is apparently just how she treats the people around her, but when it comes to a greater cause, she will not back down. Probably a reflection to Crusch's character: her leadership constitutes a strong image (memory loss = she becomes humble), and her resolve to always put others before herself (regardless of memory loss).

When it comes to the show's plot, her only disadvantage is the loss of knowledge (and an arm); she still has her fortitude and fighting abilities (without the arm). And right now, Subaru's reset is inside that caravan with Emilia. I don't know this is before or after the ambush; if it's before, then he stands a chance at saving Crusch and Rem.

*sue me for the pun
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 24