• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Removes 77 Sentai Filmworks Titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Just to note, Tsuritma's license expired last year due to Aniplex Japan blocking the renewal, so that's one show that you can't watch on HIDIVE, it became an Aniplex USA streaming license after that.
https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/1172171519918792705

Another title that isn't on HIDIVE is Yuyushiki as the license may have expired.
https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/a/catalog/yuyushiki (Note the HIDIVE link not working anymore)

A few others may be in the same boat as many Sentai titles are reaching the end of their license and don't seem to be doing well enough for a renewal. Licenses tend to last 5-7 years unless renewed.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/1200-u-s-discontinued-oop-anime-thread?p=763451#post763451 (Read from that post and on to the end of the next page, there's a lot more. Oh and yes, you're reading that right in another post, Evangelion 1.11 from FUNimation is now out of print, retailers started to delist it in April.)

Glad I own a few of these on Blu-ray already so I don't have to worry about them expiring. It's always important to remember streaming doesn't last, if you like a show and want it around "forever", buy it. You then don't have to worry about streams expiring for the titles you own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm... racking my brains here. I cant think of a single one of these titles I watched. While is sucks to loose something, and I am sure someone out there must like some of these shows, this news gets a solid *eeh* from me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
It's a good thing almost nothing in Sentai's catalogue appeals to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
The only one of these I care about is Tsuritama, but I feel bad for the people who like these titles, like the UtaPri fans.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'm very disappointed, I liked Action Heroine Cheer Fruits, it was a decent, enjoyable little parody of the Super Sentai/tokusatsu thing and those live shows done (they get rid of this and Saint Seiya, yet keep worthless piles of trash like UzaMaid! and My Sister, My Writer? Evil or Very Mad). Sad

Now where can I watch it, seeing how I don't have a Blu-Ray player or anything? Oh...HIDIVE. What a load of bull, seeing how I can't get a free account on there like Crunchyroll. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
Hmm... racking my brains here. I cant think of a single one of these titles I watched. While is sucks to loose something, and I am sure someone out there must like some of these shows, this news gets a solid *eeh* from me.

There's A LOT of great shows here like SHIROBAKO and Flip Flappers, and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. SHIROBAKO is the #164th highest rated anime of all time on MAL. So yes, "someone" does like some of these anime. A lot of very popular anime on this list.

Sad to see this kind of thing. Each site having exclusive content is just really bad for consumers. Other countries you get to choose because most shows are everywhere but here we have to pay upward to $700 if we want to watch everything. This move just makes it worse for those that want to watch older shows. Honestly hoping that CR does get merged with HBO in some way as long as the price for HBO covers CR as well.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
And this is why I buy absurd amounts of stuff. Streaming is just a rental, and there's no guarantee that something you were planning to watch up and vanishes from a service with zero warning. I have no interest in paying for something that ephemeral.

Kougeru wrote:

There's A LOT of great shows here like SHIROBAKO and Flip Flappers, and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. SHIROBAKO is the #164th highest rated anime of all time on MAL. So yes, "someone" does like some of these anime. A lot of very popular anime on this list.

I don't think it got announced anywhere, but Shirobako has a complete collection with a (presumably) new dub up for pre-order.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
PonSquared wrote:

Sad to see this kind of thing. Each site having exclusive content is just really bad for consumers. Other countries you get to choose because most shows are everywhere but here we have to pay upward to $700 if we want to watch everything. This move just makes it worse for those that want to watch older shows. Honestly hoping that CR does get merged with HBO in some way as long as the price for HBO covers CR as well.

I am glad you like these shows, just not my cup of houjicha.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:47 am Reply with quote
Looks like I'll have to watch The Dragon Dentist tomorrow. It's the only one in the Sentai catalog on Crunchyroll that I haven't seen.
Zen119

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I don't think it got announced anywhere, but Shirobako has a complete collection with a (presumably) new dub up for pre-order.

Hmm...interesting. They finally decided to give this one a dub. Hopefully, it's a good dub. I might buy this complete collection. Though I'm kinda sad that they did not add the OVAs of Exodus and Third Aerial Girls Squad since they are part of Shirobako.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:11 am Reply with quote
At least most of them are still licensed by Sentai. I can understand why Sentai might do this as HiDive has really been struggling to keep up with Crunchyroll and Funimation buying everything but it does make me worried about Crunchyroll when you have other companies like Aniplex taking their titles to Funimation as well and not all of them they co-share.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, add me to the chorus of “most of these just don’t seem that interesting”. I got around to the five of these that piqued my interest—and aren’t name Shirobako or Dragon Dentist—years ago. Sentai has definitely fallen into the old ADV habit of lukewarm license glut. Not that I’m really complaining; occasionally they’ll pick up something neat like Jinrui or Patlabor, even though many titles like them aren’t especially popular.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Yuyushiki is one of my favorite comfort food animes, I’ve watched it multiple times. Gourmet Girl is another guilty pleasure, fun little anime.

I’m not too sad since I own a bunch of these, Sentai has some crazy good sales.
Cardcaptor Takato

I guess I'm the only one who really liked Bodacious Space Pirates.
Scion Drake

Whoooo 77 titles.

Even if most may not be that watchable, that’s still a hella ton of shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7