• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Konpeki no kantai (aka best military anime ever) is getting subbed!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 am Reply with quote
First of all, I apologize if I'm posting this on the wrong forum.
So, yeah, I must say this is pretty much the best (and most unexpected) anime news I've had in a long time. Probably ever.
For those who are unfamiliar with KNK I'll just say it's an epic 32 episodes (each one 45 min on average) OVA that run from 1993 to 2003. So yes, it took JC Staff (the studio) 10 years to make it. That can give you an idea of the quality level and the effort that was put into creating this.
The story is set in an alternate WW2 where a Japanese admiral is trying to change Japan's role in the war. It plays out pretty much as a political thriller with a ton of absolutely gorgeous action scenes, all of which are fully handrawn and a joy to watch to any (realistic) 2D animation fan (Think Legend of the Galactic Heroes meets Zipang with the quality level of Patlabor 2 or Jin Roh in the action scenes). I guess the fact that I've watched the series several times Raw with my broken japanese should give you an indication of just how good the action scenes are.
So now, after pretty much 20 years we are getting a golden opportunity to watch this masterpiece subbed. So far the first 7 episodes have been done and I'd like to spread the word to anyone who could be interested in checking this out. [Do not offer to share links to pirated material ~Zalis]

They sure as hell don't make them like they used to and I'm sadly confident that we won't be able to get any military-political thriller of this caliber ever again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I've never heard of this show before but I've looked into it a bit at it seems cool. Also seems like the kind of show Discotek might rescue in the future, he says hopefully?
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Interesting. I've never heard of this show before but I've looked into it a bit at it seems cool. Also seems like the kind of show Discotek might rescue in the future, he says hopefully?

Well, that would be certainly really cool. Fingers crossed Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
So I've watched the first three episodes and enjoyed them, but I will issue one warning about the material: it truly is Japanese wish fulfillment of the highest order. As I say, I have now watched the first three and have yet to see a Japanese aircraft, naval vessel or soldier get destroyed/killed or injured. So far, all plans go off without a hitch. I am enjoying it but the wish fulfillment aspect does make me roll my eyes a bit.

In episode one: spoiler[there is no sneak attack on Pearl Habour, the war has been initiated by the US not meeting a deadline to avert a declaration of war. Not only is Oahu bombed, but eventually taken over by Japanese troops. Oh and the US Pacific Fleet is basically destroyed in a naval battle.]

In episode 2: spoiler[the Japanese successfully put the Panama Canal out of commission for a number of months.]

In episode 3: spoiler[the Japanese are able to prevent a Dolittle-esque raid on Tokyo (without losing a single fighter, natch.)]

I'm actually deriving a certain amount of entertainment value in trying to anticipate what glorious Japanese triumph will undo a real defeat in the real war.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
It does sound interesting to me, but I won't be checking it out until all episodes have been translated. I definitely wouldn't want to end up twiddling my thumbs for months on end waiting for the next episode(s) to get translated. Fansub projects like this seem the sort of thing that might go on hiatus at anytime.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the premise which seem like historical revisionism that might be influenced by nationalism.

Thanks for putting this on my radar. I might check it out someday when it has been fully translated. For which there's a chance of never happening.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
One thing I want to make clear is that despite the wish fulfillment element, this is definitely not a celebration of military nationalism. The "good guys" are definitely working to mitigate the damage done by military nationalists... this is quite evident.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:11 am Reply with quote
For me,I don't know if I want to watch "Konpeki no Kantai" or as it's known in English "Deep Blue Fleet." I know this is supposed to be an alternate history of the Second World War,but as someone who's studied the war for a long time,I'm not as sure about it as the rest of you are. I don't know if I could get behind the "heroes" of this show because if you know how these people were in real life and what they did,you'd have some real concerns about this.
I've heard about and read a little bit about this anime and basically,this OVA comes across as wish fulfillment for it's mainly Japanese audience. If you're not Japanese,the reaction is going to be rather different,especially if you have some knowledge of the conflict. Imagine for a second if someone made a "Titanic" movie that had a meteor come from out of nowhere and destroy the iceberg that the ship was about to hit. Now,while that would be kinda comforting,it wouldn't really be accurate and could come across as a bit disrespectful to those who lost their lives in that disaster.

That's how many are going to feel about "Deep Blue Fleet." This show basically comes across as not just a little tacky but also a little creepy. You can't help but get the feeling that you looking at something like "Birth of a Nation,"or watching a film from Nazi Germany. You get a feeling of discomfort and you're ill at ease,wondering why in the world you're watching something like this.
There are those among you who think that "Deep Blue Fleet's" a great political thriller or something like that. Well,whatever it's merits may be,there are many like me who will see this show as an uncomfortable,unnecessary exercise in historical revisionism and Japanese nationalism. And,that's not usually something most people want to see in their anime.

Most anime fans want to see something fun and goofy,mostly just pure escapism,and that's perfectly fine. "Deep Blue Fleet" is very different from most anime. For a lot of people,this is the type of show that goes into areas that a lot of non-Japanese people would find rather unsettling and disturbing. If you want to see it,go right ahead. The rest of us are content to leave this show on Japanese soil,where it belongs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1