• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5cm per Second, Place Promised on BD, HD DVD in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have never been a big geek about the newest/greatest/lastest gadgets and electronica, and I have actually wondered how much better quality you would get in Blue Ray format for anime...seeing these titles listed however, I am itching to buy a player and order these.

I am a monster Shinkai fan and adore the quality of the disks and animation to begin with, I want to weep with joy at the thought of seeing it even better.
Serge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Thought HD-DVD was finished? Meh.

Also, I remember Place Promised on DVD and it looked stunning, wonder what the Blu-Ray version is gonna look like.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
In light of ADV's recent announcement regarding releasing BD versions, I hope 5cm and Place Promised will be two of them. Well, 5cm seems the more likely of the two because ADV, for now, plans to focus on new releases and not catalog titles for BD release. I'm patient.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps this news answers a question that Randall Miyashiro had posed earlier as well. Since "Place Promised In Our Early Days" is a slightly older digital (as opposed to cel-based) anime made in 2004, and is now coming out with a HD version, that suggests that most older digital animes also could come out in HD in the future. There was some question about this earlier as it was suggested that maybe older digital animes were digitally rendered in Standard Definition to begin with so therefore no HD version would ever be reasonably possible. But I thought maybe it was possible that most digital animes have always been digitally mastered at HD resolution or higher, and simply downscaled to SD for commercial release. If that's the case then any digital anime could hope to see an HD release in the future.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Perhaps this news answers a question that Randall Miyashiro had posed earlier as well. Since "Place Promised In Our Early Days" is a slightly older digital (as opposed to cel-based) anime made in 2004, and is now coming out with a HD version, that suggests that most older digital animes also could come out in HD in the future. There was some question about this earlier as it was suggested that maybe older digital animes were digitally rendered in Standard Definition to begin with so therefore no HD version would ever be reasonably possible. But I thought maybe it was possible that most digital animes have always been digitally mastered at HD resolution or higher, and simply downscaled to SD for commercial release. If that's the case then any digital anime could hope to see an HD release in the future.

Old or not, The Place Promised In Our Early Days was planned for theatrical release from the very beginning, so it was already in HD resolution at every step of the process. The same is not necessarily true for digital animation created for standard-defintion television or DVD. It has less to do with age and more to do with the originally planned release format.

Put another way, all the digitally-composited Disney films, even those in the last decade, will be ready for high-definition release since they were already produced at a theatrical level of image quality. A straight-to-video special or an after-school show, even one made four years ago, may not be so lucky.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
A standard definition (SD) production that is upconverted into a high definition (HD) format is just that and no more, or less better than the original SD. So if anyone thinks it's worth buying an HD player of either ilk just for that you might want to hold on to your money a little longer and wait for the title that is HD from the first concept. But still how much sharper can a pencil line get to make it that much better?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Good point, testorschoice. And I would also assume that when Place Promised was first shown in theaters years back, that it was shown as a HD resolution digital anime transferred to analog film. So maybe older digital TV animes are stuck in SD after all. Hmmm. Well, we can only wait and hope I guess.

Mohawk, yeah upconverts are useless. But I'm guessing that any title that is officially released to HD DVD or Blu-Ray is NOT an upconvert, but something that was truly mastered at HD resolution. If not, then whoever released the thing is stupid and people ought to complain.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Mmm, been looking at things really really closely now to see the quality, and believe it or not HD blows aways BD in image quality. They are SUPPOSED to be the same, but for whatever reason BD is not as sharp nor as clear as the images coming from the HD discs.

And it looks like HD is beginning to turn the tide with HD disc sales at 2:1 versus BD - so HD looks like its going to be the choice of the consumers in the end.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Mmm, been looking at things really really closely now to see the quality, and believe it or not HD blows aways BD in image quality. They are SUPPOSED to be the same, but for whatever reason BD is not as sharp nor as clear as the images coming from the HD discs.

Proof please.

Quote:
And it looks like HD is beginning to turn the tide with HD disc sales at 2:1 versus BD - so HD looks like its going to be the choice of the consumers in the end.

Your neighborhood must be different from the rest of the world, where Blu-ray Disc outsold HD DVD in January. Wait, this sounds familiar:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=522983#522983
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah hah...that makes it totally unnecessary for me to get the DVD version that ADV is coming out, because I'll be getting the HD versions instead when that becomes available.

Totally count in me for the HD anime bandwagon - I've been a believer since I first saw the special HD 720p AIR OP when it first came with the Blu-ray set as a bonus.
game

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

BD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HD- DVD Deal with it
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
No format war crap please.

I'd like to know why 5 CPS's audio is only 4.0 as opposed to 5.1. It's been a couple of years since I've seen a release with an odd speaker output (I think both of the older DVD releases of The Natural and Tora, Tora, Tora had 4.0 or 4.1 which are the only examples I can remember off the top of my head) but it seems especially odd for something that is brand new.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
i already have 5CM LE boxset...

as much as i would love to have both films in HD, it looks like it's just barebone release with minimal extras...

i'll wait for ADV's HD release instead....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

Old or not, The Place Promised In Our Early Days was planned for theatrical release from the very beginning, so it was already in HD resolution at every step of the process. The same is not necessarily true for digital animation created for standard-defintion television or DVD. It has less to do with age and more to do with the originally planned release format.

Exactly, I did acknowledge that these specific films would probably have HD masters and are rendered for high resolution.

Quote:
The early CG (2000-2005) era will benefit even less since shows like the Japanese Blu-ray edition Yukikaze and Air are upscaled from there standard definition sources. There are already a number of people who received their Yukikaze Blu-ray DVDs at AnimeonDVD who say that the difference is rather subtle. The biggest difference is in 35mm films which were actually animated to be viewed on a large screen. ADV has to offer two amazing Makoto Shinkai theatricals that I hope to see in HD.

CG assisted projects made for television is what I'm referring to in the above post. It is no secret that the Blu-ray editions for Air and Yukikaze are taken from 480 masters, so I wouldn't be surprised if most digitally colored/edited OVAs and television series from the pre-16:9 era are rendered in 480. Sadly enough shows like Bebop and Wolf's Rain fall in this era.

kokuryu wrote:
believe it or not HD blows aways BD in image quality.

Having both formats I will say "or not." As many here already mentioned HD uses the same AVC or VC1 code on both formats. This is usually compressed to fit the format with a lower disc capacity for dual format titles. The only time when one format will have a better transfer is in the rare instance where a completely different transfer is done for a different country like the Prestige (import HD-DVD) or Terminator 2. Please prove us all wrong with credible sources since you continue to have these outrageous claims.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
i'll wait for ADV's HD release instead....

Yeah. Just because we can play it, doesn't mean we will understand a word being said (unless maybe you hit play on DVD hooked to the receiver at the same time as the BD straight into the tv .... but that seems more hassle than it is worth.)

icepick314 wrote:
Sadly enough shows like Bebop fall in this era.

Add my vote to the *weep* column. Then again, maybe they went back and did some decent remastering for the mix releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2