• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maesetsu! Opening Act (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:01 pm Reply with quote

Maesetsu! Opening Act (TV)

Plot Summary: Four 19-year old women - Fubuki, Rin, Mafuyu, and Nayuta - are trying to become comedians, diligently honing their routines while working part-time jobs. With the philosophy that "laughter makes people happy, and if everyone is happy, I'm happy," they aim to take the stage at the renowned Nanba Grand Kagetsu Hall. For now, they settle for working their way up from the bottom doing shows in Shibuya.
----------------------------------

Not super intrigue based on what I'm finding about this series, but seeing the notice of the upcoming Winter Preview Guide got me to thinking I never finished making threads for all the Fall shows. Might as well throw this out there, in case somebody actually wants to talk about it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Yeah, I have been watching this one. For someone in me in particular, I think that it is at a disadvantage. that is the fact that it seemed to steeped in Japanese idioms and jokes that must be translated to some extent, and just does not come across that funny. Maybe different for Japanese audience, but I can't call at any time in this show about comedians that I actually laughed. There is a point to be made along the lines earlier in the show that acts do often need to be made for different audiences.

But one thing I took away from the series was the thought that this Japanese kind of stand-up was that it kind of feels super limiting. Like, they are all doing the exact same thing in having two people doing the whole tsukkomi and boke thing, with the team just needing to decide who has what role. I am not an expert at stand-up or anything, but most of the well known acts I am familiar with will not just stick to some single formula and will usually have something different to them, other than just having sunglasses on their head. Are the Japanese just okay with all the comedians just doing the exact same type of act?

Kind of also feel like I should mention that the show does feel a bit like Lucky Star, which could be worth some points. As far as I know the only real connection there is that the original character designer is the same person who was the original creator of Lucky Star. Anyway, my rating will be So-so (5/10), it is not completely awful that it is hard to watch, its material is just a little hard for someone like me to really keep attention to.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
This was one of my favorite shows of the season as Nayuta was just so odd compared to what she looked like and speaking of appearances, one of the things I loved about this series was how apart from the main cast and select supporting cast, everyone looked like they were actual Japanese people.

Of course, some were actual real Japanese people so that was part of it but I do appreciate actual care into making a photograph an animated character.

Back to Nayuta who sang the closer which I loved but it took me awhile to figure out why I found the opener and closer so odd: The opener was animated yet the characters weren't seen singing it it while the characters were seen singing the closer... but weren't animated.

And it's that style of "Oh, so that's a joke?" humor that permeates the entire series from the newcomers to the declared masters of the form. Yet I still really enjoyed.

Back to Nayuta who had the most obvious sense of humor or rather the most defined style and delivery to the point entire audience has to wonder what's the use of a partner who's only there to inject "Hey, that's odd!"? Her imitation of a cicada would probably even funnier if she mimed her target rather than head butting a person a foot shorter than she was.... or rather trying to headbutt a person a foot shorter.

And that's RDeco, the side team to the main team, Tokonatsu. I watched the entire series thinking blue haired Fubuki was the straight man only to have the show tell me Fubuki was the comedian and Mafuyu was the straight man. Oh and that team wasn't working.

I got that much. Back to Nayuta. What really peeved me about that last episode was Rin losing her voice which Nayuta to drop out or play off her comedy off of a mute Rin... which, according to my own understanding of comedy, was that apart from the improvement, the audience wouldn't never know the difference. So of course she dropped out, because that would have been straight up stand up.

Here's the weirdest thing about the series: It has to walk a fine line between being funny and being not funny in a funny way. The problem isn't the style... in America, it's as least as old as vaudeville but not much older because it wasn't long before club owners realized one person costs less than two. The problem is most of the characters just aren't good at it.

Back to Nayuta...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac

I may be being dumb, and there is some element that I am reading your post just after waking up. But you are being sarcastic about this show being great, right? I know that I would be breaking the comedic rule by asking you to explain a joke. But you started by explaining things you liked, and the stuff that don't seem like positives. Again, probably a problem of reading this just after waking up.

I totally get you with the confusion in finding out that Mafuyu was meant to be the straight man the entire time.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
I sincerely enjoyed it because unlike most other "girls try to do artistic enterprise" like any Idol series or K-On and even artistic shows like Hidamari Sketch, we the audience can see that the ones who aren't supposed to be good at it aren't good at it.

Then there's JK Cool but I think they're intended to be novelty act more than a proper tested comedy duo. I enjoyed the other accomplished teams, especially Freak!

And I really do think Nayuta is a natural comedian. What others have to work at, she exudes with a natural air head quality that you have to be pretty smart to fake. It's also fairly clear that teaming up with Rin is hampering Nayuta's own style.

I think if RDeco were in the finals, they would have won or the show would have had to really explain why they didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1