• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Animated Series Gets Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
nice... can't wait for more Cat Noir R-18 doushin if it gets popular
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember that old 2D promo from years ago that looked like it was taking cues from Heartcatch Precure. Then it ended up going for a 3DCG cartoon and ended up more like a superhero cartoon than a magical girl one. Not really my thing, but interesting to see anime and manga adaptions of western works. I remember W.I.T.C.H, My Little Pony, and Monster High got similar treatment. I guess it's the standard way to market western franchises to Japan.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
I remember that old 2D promo from years ago that looked like it was taking cues from Heartcatch Precure. Then it ended up going for a 3DCG cartoon and ended up more like a superhero cartoon than a magical girl one. Not really my thing, but interesting to see anime and manga adaptions of western works. I remember W.I.T.C.H, My Little Pony, and Monster High got similar treatment. I guess it's the standard way to market western franchises to Japan.

These manga designs remind me a lot of the original promo.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Why is this in a Shonen magazine?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Why is this in a Shonen magazine?

The same reason the show's title was originally changed from "Miraculous Ladybug" to "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Chat Noir". To appeal to boys and not have it written off as a girls cartoon. Chat Noir was given equal focus rather than just focusing on Ladybug. Gender balance is key. Western executives generally don't like shutting out audiences, especially for toy based media for kids.

Fun Fact: Same thing happened with Oban Star Racers (formerly: Molly: Star Racer) and W.I.T.C.H. (no name change, but the cartoon made Caleb and Blunk main characters when Caleb was a minor character in the comics, and Blunk didn't exist at all) I guess they know girls will read shounen manga, but not a lot of boys will read shoujo manga, so it'll get more readers in a shounen magazine. Wonder how the story will be written.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
The manga art is definitely a lot better than the comics that have been released so far. I’m excited for this!
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
[quote="MFrontier"]
El Hermano wrote:
I remember that old 2D promo from years ago that looked like it was taking cues from Heartcatch Precure. Then it ended up going for a 3DCG cartoon and ended up more like a superhero cartoon than a magical girl one.
The final product still takes quite a few cues from Heartcatch. If you were on the fence about watching it.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'll never understand how this show remains so popular among people above the age of 10. I think it sucks.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
The thing is that Proto-Adrien was a Sasuke-like dude.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Western executives generally don't like shutting out audiences, especially for toy based media for kids.

Which is interesting because that's pretty much what happens for kids series. If your series is getting popular among a specific demographic and not it's it target demographic (and on top of that), the toys aren't selling they'll pull the plug.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I'll never understand how this show remains so popular among people above the age of 10. I think it sucks.

Believe it is because of the characters. I really didn't care about the story, since it never really changed during each episode. Never finished it, cause it was boring. Like you indicate.

Manga art and the CGI for the Miraculous Ladybug was great. Though I see why people prefer the anime style character model over the CGI character model.

Maybe will get that anime sometime in the future if the manga is good. But they need to age up the action at least to the teenager level at a minimum.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Maybe will get that anime sometime in the future if the manga is good. But they need to age up the action at least to the teenager level at a minimum.

What's teenager level?
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I'm probably older than you and think it's great. So does my spouse. Everyone has different opinions. Sometimes, it's just fun to watch a well-animated, colorful, formulaic hero series which makes the world seem like a brighter place.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Lupica wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I'm probably older than you and think it's great. So does my spouse. Everyone has different opinions. Sometimes, it's just fun to watch a well-animated, colorful, formulaic hero series which makes the world seem like a brighter place.

^
This.

It reminds me of how magical girl series used to be before it was "cool" to make them all dark, bloody and edgy for the sake of being dark, bloody and edgy. Oh and before they crammed them into 13 episodes too and expected viewers to care about their plight when we barely have time to get to know them.

I much prefer series that start off slow and somewhat repetitive so we can get to know the characters. And then get into plot later, which is what Miraculous does nicely and what old school magical girl series have done in the past.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

What's teenager level?

Each episode was the same as the last. The villain just picked a new victim each episode. Rinse and repeat.

The target audience seemed to be for a younger audience than teenagers. That is just my opinion.

Not asking for darkness, just something to engage my brain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2