• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You Give Love a Vlad Name – A Preview and Primer for Vladlove

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnie Depp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
How many people will know the 80ies Chartbreaker the title of this article refers to?
Then tell me the band and win a kiss ("old" girls only!). Cheers R.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Took me a minute. I watched the video when it charted and I was in college.

Sorry, don't want no kiss. I'd have to shave first. Sad

And no fair, y'all, using search engines, 'cause Youtube gave the answer using the above title in two of the first three replies. Damn clever, that Youtube. Wink

Very good article, I liked the background on Oshii's works that relate to this a lot.

Since we are supposed to talk about the show:

I liked it, and I really want to see more. I also liked the Oshii eps of Urusei Yatsura a lot, and I'm a big Patlabor fan, so I'm probably biased.

I don't mind the backgrounds being reworked photos, or the live shots in the opening.
The animation quality was high. I doubt they can keep it up, but I hope they can.
The violence was a lot like UY, gratuitous but nobody gets hurt, so ok by me.
The school nurse and her stripper-ific outfit, bouncing boobies, and actual comedy censored stripping, that struck me as kind of extreme, but I don't know where they're going with her character, so time will tell. As long as it's funny, I can live with it.

I'm not big on this season, so this could be in my top four for this winter. And easily the best comedy. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Last edited by Nom De Plume De Fanboy on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This all sounds well and all... But the first episode was soooooooooooo boring. The most notable aspect of it is that it felt that a generic show from the early 2000. If Oshii name wasn't attached to it it would literally be ignored.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this article, it's the first time I've heard of the app/VN, so thanks for putting in the work to summarize that too. Seems like a pretty fun and weird story, a bit dated, but that just makes it different from everything else that's current. I found the first episode entertaining and liked Bamba... maybe she kinda reminds me of Tokaku from AnR, but a bit (or a lot) more weird...
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:14 am Reply with quote
"it received a sneak preview screening at a Japanese film festival back in 2019"

Oh, THAT is the film that he showed that hasn't had a release? Thank you so much for saying that, honestly, because I thought that film had never actually been announced. Still baffling that nobody will release it though.

Anyway, I love Vladlove and I don't care what anyone says hahaha
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1