• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix Partners with Wit Studio, Sasayuri to Launch WIT Animator Academy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
A [expletive] sweatshop masquerading as an "academy". Netflix must have gotten the memo that 3d animation from polygon won't cut it.LOL
tojikomori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a prestigious paid internship with an explicit job track. If it were a studio with a better reputation I'd feel positive about this (yay, Netflix money actually going to talent) but as far as I know conditions at Wit are unimproved since Wada painted us that grim picture of animators sitting at their desks all day & night. Netflix may be gilding a path to hell with this one.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Sasayuri is a question mark in this, so let's wait and see how this goes.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:01 am Reply with quote
tojikomori wrote:
Sounds like a prestigious paid internship with an explicit job track. If it were a studio with a better reputation I'd feel positive about this (yay, Netflix money actually going to talent) but as far as I know conditions at Wit are unimproved since Wada painted us that grim picture of animators sitting at their desks all day & night. Netflix may be gilding a path to hell with this one.

I tried to look for the article you were referring to and found this article: animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2017/anime-expo/world-premiere-of-ancient-magus-bride-tv/.118040

Oh. My. Gosh...that does sound like a hellscape. I knew about the poor working conditions in the anime industry, but wow...
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:53 am Reply with quote
Well Netflix should of have known about the conditions at that studio before this partnership was made. so i would like to think they did not agree to this until they assured conditions have improved as i can't see them partner up with a company that treat workers poorly, however if they did than i question their integrate, their is no way to know for sure unless someone says so within the company.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:23 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Well Netflix should of have known about the conditions at that studio before this partnership was made. so i would like to think they did not agree to this until they assured conditions have improved as i can't see them partner up with a company that treat workers poorly, however if they did than i question their integrate, their is no way to know for sure unless someone says so within the company.
Netflix Japan at the very least would know, and I'm sure in turn Netflix as a whole.

At least it's better them paying to train animators as opposed to giving Polygon more money.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:22 am Reply with quote
>m-muh Netflix bad

At least, Netflix is doing something. Last time I heard, parasites like Crunchyroll and Funimation does 0 to address the industry's woes.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
Netflix has made a lot of deals over the past year that seem to indicate they’re done with everyone’s favorite studio in the whole wide world, Polygon. What this means for artist conditions is another thing entirely.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
i can't see them partner up with a company that treat workers poorly

I don't think it is below them, but I will give them the benefit of doubt for the time being. Give it a few years and see how things pan out.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised how many people think so highly of Netflix they would care about whatever negative working conditions are going on at a partner animation studio. I'm sure their own animation are made in similarly conditioned if not worse Korean studios.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
>m-muh Netflix bad

At least, Netflix is doing something. Last time I heard, parasites like Crunchyroll and Funimation does 0 to address the industry's woes.

Calling companies that pay for the domestic distribution rights of series and often contribute to their development as co-producers "parasites" is certainly a take.
ebronstein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Can a foreigner with no experience apply?
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ebronstein wrote:
Can a foreigner with no experience apply?

Maybe, if you're currently living in Japan and fit all the other requirements. The working conditions at Wit Studio might still be really bad though...
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
>m-muh Netflix bad

Calling companies that pay for the domestic distribution rights of series and often contribute to their development as co-producers "parasites" is certainly a take.

Let's be real here, all Crunchyroll and Funimation are doing is to fatten their wallets, as well as the wallets of exploitative corporations like Kadokawa and Aniplex. Both companies have been members of production committees (which is the same system that exploits studios and animators) for multiple productions and I doubt neither of them gave a f**k to the grunt workers. Netflix has been operating outside the production committee system for quite a while, and I'm hoping that whatever system Netflix came up with would have at least an impact on how things are done in the anime industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1