• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Makes Horimiya The Best Rom-Com in Years?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I used to love Horimiya but nowadays the manga has lost everything I loved about it in the first place. Turning into a slice of life is okay by me, but the execution feels too half-assed and the characters don't feel the same anymore.

Horimiya used to be my favorite rom-com but its declining quality and the sudden appearance of Kaguya-sama has made me rethink my love for the series. What Kaguya-sama has done with its banger arcs especially the Cultural Festival arc and the Sports Fest will be very hard to overcome by any rom-com I will ever delve into.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm thankful that weird joke and teacher from the premiere never comes up again.

Unfortunately, he's a recurring character in the original webcomic and manga and the "pervert" aspect is a big part of his character personality, so whenever he shows up those jokes will show up as well.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think to ask "Am I enjoying Horimiya?" and it turns I'm not. Horimiya is no Toradora, no surprise there, but it's not even a Murakami. Murakami?... Momokuri

Yeah, here's the thing about naming your show after your romantic leads... that's where you end or go full Romeo and Juliet just before it, not where you get within a few episodes. It's not as bad a move as naming your work after the female lead while you try to do a male centered love triangle but it's up there.

"Now what?" Now we wait.
DarkAudit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Do NOT disparage the Tooru. I'll fight you.

Texting Yuki with "comedy is happening, get down here" when Miyamura and Sawada were having a tug-of-war over Hori was the height of awesome.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
DarkAudit wrote:
Do NOT disparage the Tooru. I'll fight you.

Texting Yuki with "comedy is happening, get down here" when Miyamura and Sawada were having a tug-of-war over Hori was the height of awesome.

I can't help it, the guy looks like a fucboi! Anime hyper
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to read something about how good the OP is for this show. It has that certain something, it sticks in your head but not annoyingly. BTW, I agree with everything mentioned, this series is a standout during a season of fantastic shows.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Not usually my kind of show, but I decided to check it out after reading the column. On ep 4 right now, and I'm enjoying it so thanks for doing the column on it.

On a side note, when I was coming back here to make this post I remembered the teacher's off comment. I'm in hindsight amused a little by it because the series went out of its way to immediately call Hori flat, but it seems that absolutely none of the girls stand out any more in that area than Hori.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
Horimiya used to be my favorite rom-com but its declining quality and the sudden appearance of Kaguya-sama has made me rethink my love for the series. What Kaguya-sama has done with its banger arcs especially the Cultural Festival arc and the Sports Fest will be very hard to overcome by any rom-com I will ever delve into.

Second this -- Kaguya-sama'll be my favorite comedy *and* rom-com anime for years to come, I suspect.

Although, mentally I kind've put Horimiya, with its lack of will-they-won't-they teasing, in a somewhat more emotionally realized bucket. So, Horimiya can have the (or at least my) emotionally realized rom-com blue ribbon. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
I'm glad to read something about how good the OP is for this show. It has that certain something, it sticks in your head but not annoyingly. BTW, I agree with everything mentioned, this series is a standout during a season of fantastic shows.

Both the OP and the ED for this show made my "Best of Winter, 2021" list at https://blog.takinganimeseriously.com/index.php/2021/03/01/best-op-ed-songs-of-winter-2021/.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
For me the only other Rom-Com in the past 10 years that truly stands out as being amazing, was My Love Story. I think the thing that show, and Horimiya, did the best was develop the characters. And I don't mean simply the MC's. There is real depth to many of the supporting cast, and depth to all of the various relationships. The comedic parts felt more natural and relatable as well. At least for me they do. I also think there is a lot of sincerity behind both series.
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I also immediately thought, what about Kaguya-sama? Didn't its last season come out just last year? I like Horimiya okay, but when reading the manga eventually I got bored and wandered off because it doesn't have much of a point after a while. And from what I've heard, it sounds like it becomes not good past where I wandered off for that very reason. I figured I'd enjoy watching the anime because it won't get that far into the manga material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1