• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Ends with You The Animation (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote

The World Ends with You The Animation (TV)

Genres: action, adventure
Themes:

Plot Summary: Neku Sakuraba, a 15-year-old boy with a hobby for music and graffiti, wakes up in what seems to be the Shibuya shopping district of Tokyo, Japan. With no idea why he's there, he opens his hand to realize he is holding a strange black pin. After flipping it with his hand, the thoughts of the people surrounding him begins to flow into his head at once. Surprised, Neku discovers he is able to read the minds of others and assumes it has something to do with the black pin he is holding.

A cell phone starts to ring in his pocket, and he can't tell whether it is his or not. A text message appears: "Reach 104. You have 60 minutes. Fail, and face erasure. -The Reapers." After discovering he can't delete the message, a timer of 60 minutes imprints onto his right hand. Neku is in Shibuya to play the "Reapers' Game," which spans a total of seven days. All Players of the Reapers' Game have a black pin with a skull embedded on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I have no familiarity with the original game. The first episode looked great, but felt too much like they have too much story to tell and thus condensed a whole lot into a limited time. I hope they front loaded that problem, because if it continues like this it won't be good., and makes me wonder if there is too much story to tell in a limited time, they should have worked to alter what story they needed, to not feel too brisk.
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:58 am Reply with quote
The first episode had some interesting ideas, but in the middle I was already bored, the episode was not built well. Usually you spend more in the first few episodes then the quality goes down. I hope to be proved wrong
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I did come into the ending thinking that it was yet to resolve the stuff with Joshua, but I guess that it gave satisfying answers for everything. But also a bit unclear about what he was asking in the first place of the reaper guy. It just seems that they won, but lost, then lost and won. And something about the brainwashing pins.

Anyway, it was an okay show, although maybe held back by its game origins, it kind of felt often like they were trying fit parts that were game mechanics or something into the story. The aesthetics were probably the strongest part, and I almost think that it was underused, such that if they tied the parts together a bit better. But I appreciate its look anyway.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), because I don't think I really lost my time watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1