• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ALI Band Goes on Indefinite Hiatus After Drummer's Arrest Last Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping the band can recover and find a less unscrupulous drummer when he or she comes.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:49 am Reply with quote
Usually it's never the drummer. But this time, it's really only the drummer. And it's also an actual criminal case, not just your typical relationship scandal.

Real life can be really strange. I hope the band can get back up from this.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:56 am Reply with quote
This situation is especially disappointing because ALI, from the very start, put out hit after hit; they’re an insanely talented band. I remember the first time I ever listened to “Wild side”; I was hooked! ALI has a really unique sound that definitely sets them apart from a lot of other anison artists in my opinion.

I was so disheartened when I initially found out about this situation. This feeling later slightly shifted to anger once I found out what the drummer actually got in trouble for. Yeah, it makes sense that the band would fire the drummer after what he did and then go on an indefinite hiatus, but it’s just really sad because ALI is still an up-and-coming band with only a handful of songs released and now their careers in the music industry have effectively been halted. Scandals like this have the potential to literally kill careers, especially if the careers themselves haven’t been around too long. I hope that all the members can come together and make it through this confusing time for them.

I also still want to hear the entirety of “Teenage City Riot” one day... Crying or Very sad
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 am Reply with quote
Governments are more concerned about fraud and money laundering than any other crime. People have been scammed billions from fraudsters like Bernie Madoff, and effectively like their life savings. Bernie Madoff got sentenced to 150 years in prison. He scammed people of billions, and it was so bad his own adult sons reported him and killed themselves for what he did. Stories like these have deterred from people investing.

Not only is fraud is devastating on its victims, it is extremely rampant. If you get mysterious messages asking for money or banking information or you are being advertised to invest in extremely speculative or volatile assets, just run.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
am assuming theyll just be on hiatus until they find a new drummer.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
They could call this Legend:
https://youtu.be/QZShA_a-5r8
dmanatunga

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
They could call this Legend:
https://youtu.be/QZShA_a-5r8

If we are talking about legends on drums, there is only one: https://youtu.be/CWwBj-7790g
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn, right after Lost in Paradise too.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some of the group's songs are currently unavailable to stream or purchase on services like Spotify, YouTube, or Apple Music.

It may sound nonsense but if this happened in the U.S., their careers (probably) would've been survived despite scandals. I heard that whenever U.S. celebrities doing scandals, some of their careers survived while others are not lucky. Right?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:44 am Reply with quote
It is hard to fathom what goes through people's minds, especially ones who are seemingly successful or at the top of their game, that think preying on the elderly and children is all right. You never really know people, even the ones closest to you, so I hope the band can get past this.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:35 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:
Some of the group's songs are currently unavailable to stream or purchase on services like Spotify, YouTube, or Apple Music.

It may sound nonsense but if this happened in the U.S., their careers (probably) would've been survived despite scandals. I heard that whenever U.S. celebrities doing scandals, some of their careers survived while others are not lucky. Right?

Depends on the type of crime.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:37 am Reply with quote
I hope the band can bounce back from this after some time away from the spotlight (its a shame one member has brought disgrace to the whole band but that's how its likely viewed in Japan). If ALI is able to come back as a future version of itself that removes all association with the former drummer they might have a chance (I guess there's the possibility that some in the band knew it was happening and did little about it but it's hard to confirm at this point).

Fingers crossed they can make a comeback as they're a great band with members from a diverse range of ethnic backgrounds and that's not so commonly seen in the Japanese music scene.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote
Here's a possible replacement drummer: https://youtu.be/pEBpq0K7Gog

DK about child labor laws in Japan though.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
So that explains why Lost In Paradise was mysteriously yanked from my Apple Music library. Not a whole lot of Japanese songs are available on the American service but i suppose due to the anime's popularity they let it through

Rambling aside now thats sad and i hope the other band members can recover from this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1