• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Manga Guide

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Call of the Night has honestly been one of my favorite series for almost a year now. <3
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:23 am Reply with quote
The game for Your Turn to Die is really worth it! The part was also just released recently so it's a good time to start playing it. I doubt we will get a steam release soon, but you can download the fan-translation of it here for free.
Depending on your play speed, it may take about 15 hours or more to get to the current stopping point.

Speaking of the manga... One thing I find weird about it is how much they have weakened Sara (the protagonist). Her character and her role. They gave many scenes and dialog that belonged to her to Joe instead. Weird.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
I agree that rape accusation in Takamine-san was way too much, and not even in line with the further development of her character, which turns more into typical tsundere. It reminds me of first chapters/episode of Nagatoro in vastly overdoing the meanness. Manga authors, when you create femdom fetish manga, please don't start with heroines being repulsive not-so-nice-people if you know you want readers to end up cheering for the developing romance few chapters later.

Other artists also commit errors in overdoing initial characterizations, like eg. My Hero Academia author regretting some of Bakugo's lines to Izuko, but not to the same degree.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
Shiawase_Rina wrote:
The game for Your Turn to Die is really worth it! The part was also just released recently so it's a good time to start playing it. I doubt we will get a steam release soon, but you can download the fan-translation of it here for free.
Depending on your play speed, it may take about 15 hours or more to get to the current stopping point.

And for what it's worth:

Quote:
(Note: [Original creator] Nankidai has allowed this translation, but has asked it be stated as "unofficial" simply because they don't know English well enough to verify its accuracy.)

It's been on my to-play list since I finished Danganronpa V3; I might plunge in once chapter 3 is fully translated, or at least the recently released second section of chapter 3, part 1. (I hope the game doesn't end up with Homestuck-esque Zeno-dilation, given the release dates in the wiki infobox.)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite taking the warring states period for its setting, this isn't a particularly bloody or violent book

To be honest that’s not something I was particularly expecting from a Lilo & Stitch spin-off.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

To be honest that’s not something I was particularly expecting from a Lilo & Stitch spin-off.

I guess not, now that you say it. Laughing For some reason I always think of Lilo & Stitch as being a particularly dark Disney film, even though The Fox and the Hound and Hunchback of Notre Dame have it beat on that front.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
What's with "another" being italicized and capitalized for Loveridge's "A School Frozen in Time" review? I'm pretty sure she's not talking about the anime there.
Abecedarian1995
ANN Assistant Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
What's with "another" being italicized and capitalized for Loveridge's "A School Frozen in Time" review?

The encyclopedia has auto-linked all instances of "another" with the series since Rebecca mentioned it in the review

It has been fixed. Thanks for pointing it out
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

I guess not, now that you say it. Laughing For some reason I always think of Lilo & Stitch as being a particularly dark Disney film, even though The Fox and the Hound and Hunchback of Notre Dame have it beat on that front.

I admit it was fairly dark. More so if you include some of the deleted scenes.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the Your Turn to Die game, I find the manga very disappointing. Not only does it generally mischaracterizes the entire cast (with Sara getting hit hard the most imo), as noted in a previous post, a lot of moments meant for Sara were shifted over to Joe. It gets worse as the manga progresses and it honestly feels like they're trying to make Joe the actual main protagonist of the manga instead of Sara.

The manga also fails to adapt the story of the game in a way that is comparable to original's high quality. Now, I know there will always be some changes to a story when adapting from one media to the next, but the manga falls into that trap of making everything needlessly darker and edgier that it comes off as tasteless. Maybe the manga's plot has its appeal towards people who have no prior knowledge about the game, but for those who do know the game will be disappointed by how subpar the plot is. But hey, if manga is making people interested in the game then it's doing its job as advertisement for it.

But yes, I agree with the previous post that YTTD game is definitely worth it! The game has a surprisingly large amount of content for a free game made by one person in RPGmaker. An unofficial fan translation is available for the game, with ch 3-1b currently being translated.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
An unofficial fan translation is available for the game, with ch 3-1b currently being translated.

It can even be played in a web browser (including mobile browsers), I see. Seems good so far — being allowed to actually solve the revolver puzzle was a nice change from similar games where you’d just make a dialogue choice and a character would proceed to explain the whole thing.

How many chapters are there in total in the original game? (Assuming it’s complete?)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
It's kinda wild to me how specific the otome-isekai subgenre is. I mean, if you talked to someone unfamiliar with anime/manga/LNs at all and detailed the stock premise -- "happenstance leads a girl born to nobility in a fantasy setting to recover memories of a past life in modern Japan, and ALSO remembers that there was a romance game whose setting was the world she lives in, and ALSO realizes she was in that game as a villainous rival character who tormented the heroine and there's a karmic punishment coming her way that she has to try to escape" -- they'd think you were talking about an individual work and not something you could name a dozen instances of.

The thing about this one's bonus chapter does sound like an interesting variant! I've wished on occasion that the "awakened in childhood/adolescence" class of reincarnation isekai would treat the pre-existing person as less of an empty-shell body for the protagonist to pilot around. It'd be interesting to frame the protagonist as less a "Japanese person in Fantasyland person's body" and more a "Fantasyland person who stumbles upon memories of Japan buried in their skull". The Hamefura precursor It Seems Like I Got Reincarnated Into the World of a Yandere Otome Game is probably the closest I've seen to that framing; more often, the protagonist treats their Fantasyland memories like something they're looking up that happened to someone else. (Kim Morrissy's recent short story "The Librarian at the End of Worlds" has a really interesting take on the "body's original inhabitant" character. Also, I think I remember Ascendance of a Bookworm having a bit early on about Myne wanting to do something for her mother because she'd had to raise Myne despite her not being her "real" child?)

Going back to the Narou/fanfic connection, the fact that the protagonist conventionally replaces a villain reminds me of an old Ranma fanfic called Careful Destiny, where Ranma finds himself in a world where his life went differently. The version of him everyone else remembers seems to have had no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and even as a teenager the purpose of that seemed clear to me: If he was someone people actually liked, we might feel uncomfortable about our viewpoint character replacing him. The author might even end up having to explore -- ugh -- themes like impostor syndrome, and we can't have that in our wish fulfillment, no matter how much inherent potential there is for it in bodyjacking isekai.
Andelevion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

It can even be played in a web browser (including mobile browsers), I see. Seems good so far — being allowed to actually solve the revolver puzzle was a nice change from similar games where you’d just make a dialogue choice and a character would proceed to explain the whole thing.

How many chapters are there in total in the original game? (Assuming it’s complete?)

It is not complete at the moment. Chapter 3-1-B was recently released (unofficial English translation not finished yet.) Nankidai aims to finish the game in the next part, so Chapter 3-2 should be the end. It is a one-man team (more or less? He mentioned two other indie game creators as helping for 3-1-B) Also each chapter tends to..... somewhat double in length in terms of content, due to some route divergences and other factors about more complicated plot progression.

I also agree that the manga is very disappointing as someone who loved the game and was following it for about two years now, since the unofficial english release. I blame the magazine editors for making the manga shallow and trying to pander for an edgy shounen audience by basically framing Joe as a protagonist who Sara cannot do anything without. The magazine's most famous name is Mirai Nikki, if that puts things into context lmao.

While Nankidai draws names for the manga, there is an incredible difference in characterization apparent just looking at his sketches to the final page. Sara gets an immediate decrease in self-assurance and coolness from the sketch to the final page.

1) The characters' are all amped in aggression and suspicion and it's incredibly offputting. They become really shallow portrayals and tropey.
2) Unnecessary additions/subtractions from the original story.
3) The JPN-only (so far) Joe novel actually works as a written form of the story, and STILL keeps everyone in-character. while streamlining and adjusting for the different medium from what I hear, so the manga is extra disappointing. Also Sara's still properly characterized in the novel, and alternates the POV chapters with Joe, despite it officially being called his novel.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
where Ranma finds himself in a world where his life went differently. The version of him everyone else remembers seems to have had no redeeming qualities whatsoever

Are you sure he wasn’t just isekaied into Urusei Yatsura? Wink

Andelevion: OK, thanks. Mirai Nikki had some great ideas buried beneath all the Mirai Nikki stuff, incidentally. Seems to me it would actually have potential for something like a Netflix adaptation where they take some plot points and change everything else.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I grabbed Boys Run the Riot when I was at Books-a-Million a few days ago. Unfortunately Dick Fight Island was out of stock. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4