• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Exorcist Manga Goes on Hiatus Until April, as Kazue Katō Draws Manga of Twelve Kingdoms A

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:22 am Reply with quote
Wow what a timing, we just started the spoiler[war arc now and at the midst of battle as well].
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
Well, good luck with the adaption! I can understand not wanting to juggle too much at once.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
damn got my hopes up for a 12 kingdoms manga for a second Sad
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
Wait a 6 chapter manga. While I haven't read this particular Fuyumi Ono novel that seems a bit too short to even cover the first volume if she wrote it to her usual quantity.

Plus I love how the article only mentions the Japan release when usually the English release is in there as well. I guess they don't want to mention how her works got screwed over by English publishers and only 4 volumes of The Twelve Kingdoms ever got released because it was with Tokyopop and the final volume of the Ghost Hunt manga still hasn't been officially translated because of Kodansha saying it was taking back all its titles from Del Rey in 2010 and despite it being a Kodansha title they just left it untouched and we never got the sequel either
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
Rafael Antonio Pineda wrote:
Ono's Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan collects short stories centered around Shōko, a girl who lives in an old samurai residence-turned-shop that she inherited from her aunt. The stories center on the strange goings-on in the house.

There are mistakes in Mr Pineda's description of the contents of Ono Fuyumi's Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan.
I conjecture that probably Mr Pineda has not read Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan, he resorted to relying on a description of Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan on the Amazon Japan site or something, but he failed in correctly grasping the overview of the contents of Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan.

Regarding Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan, the Amazon Japan site says:
Quote:
叔母から受け継いだ町屋に一人暮らす祥子。まったく使わない奥座敷の襖が、何度閉めても開いている。
(「奥庭より」)
古色蒼然とした武家屋敷。同居する母親は言った。「屋根裏に誰かいるのよ」(「屋根裏に」)

Mr Pineda wrote, 'Ono's Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan collects short stories centered around Shōko...The stories center on the strange goings-on in the house,' but actually, the young woman Shōko is a character who appears only in the '奥庭より' short story, which is just one of the six short stories in Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan (vol. 1).
The house in which Shōko lives, too, appears only in the '奥庭より' short story.
In Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan, things go like a tokusatsu superhero fights against the Monster of the Week in a tokusatsu TV series: spoiler[In Short Story X in Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan a supernatural thing happens in Character A's house and carpenter Obana solves it, next, in Short Story Y a new different supernatural thing happens in new Character B's house and carpenter Obana solves it, and so on.] So each short story has a different house, a different supernatural thing, and a different 'victim'.

Since the description of the contents of Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan on the Amazon Japan site says, '町屋' (a traditional-style house which a tradesman uses both to live and to deal in goods) and '武家屋敷' (a mediaeval/early-modern Japanese warrior's residence), it seems that Mr Pineda erroneously thought '町屋' and '武家屋敷' were referring to the same single house and he joined '町屋' to '武家屋敷' and thought up the phrase 'an old samurai residence-turned-shop.'
But actually, 町屋 in question appears in the short story '奥庭より' and 武家屋敷 in question appears in the short story '屋根裏に', and the 町屋 in the short story '奥庭より' is a different house from the 武家屋敷 in the short story '屋根裏に'.

The wording of the Japanese text suggests that the 町屋 is a different house from the 武家屋敷.
And since a typical 武家屋敷 is very different from a typical 町屋 architecture-wise, if a person who is fluent in Japanese and is knowledgeable about Japanese culture reads the Japanese text '叔母から受け継いだ町屋に一人暮らす祥子。まったく使わない奥座敷の襖が、何度閉めても開いている。(「奥庭より」) 古色蒼然とした武家屋敷。同居する母親は言った。「屋根裏に誰かいるのよ」(「屋根裏に」),' probably he will not think up a phrase such as 'an old samurai residence-turned-shop' from the viewpoint of architecture in the first place.
A slightly-exaggerated but maybe-easy-for-Westerners-to-understand analogy may be that turning 武家屋敷 into 町屋 is something like turning a baronet's Hall into a shop like a typical old-fashioned mom-and-pop store on the High Street.

On a side note, the cover art for Ono Fuyumi's Eizen Karukaya Kaiitan was drawn by Urushibara Yuki, the creator of the Mushishi manga.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:59 am Reply with quote
I really like Blue Exorcist, so this is a bit disappointing, but I’m happy that Kazue Kato is trying something new, and Fuyumi Ono’s works are fantastic (based on The Twelve Kingdoms & Shiki anime, I have not read the original books).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1