• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isekai Yakkyoku Light Novel About Modern Pharmacologist in Another World Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
Oh lovely another Isekai anime to join the ever growing masses....
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
This reminds me that there's a current Isekai about the MC running a drug store. Huh.
Rize0150

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote
I honestly really liked the manga for this one, I'm glad that it's getting an anime
Violet Park

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Finally, one of the few isekai I read gets and adaptation.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually like this one quite a bit. Sure it has a lot of standard isekai tropes but it makes use of actual modern day medicine in a medieval setting rather than having the MC make stuff up on the fly. It can also be both dark and wholesome at times too
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
This reminds me that there's a current Isekai about the MC running a drug store. Huh.

I know which one you're talking about and the previous (manga version) led me to this one while I was waiting for a new chapter to drop, but they are as different as night and day.

It's not a 'perfect' series as it does have many of the cliched isekai tropes such as broken skills, quickly moving up the ranks etc. but what makes it interesting is the slow and methodical process of introducing modern advances in medicine to basically the middle ages, and an era where magic is real.

The MC can easily replicate modern medicines causespoiler[ he can create anything he knows the chemical compounds of] but that only helps on a small scale, he can't mass produce this cure to an entire country if say a pandemic of a highly infectious disease were to occur.

I was quite bummed that 'Drugstore in Another World: The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist' got an adaptation and not this but here's to hoping that people won't lump these two together and think that it's just gonna be the same story.
sdsichero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
The link to the website is for summerghost.jp. It actually should be https://isekai-yakkyoku.jp/ (and the twitter https://twitter.com/isekai_yakkyoku)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Updated the spreadsheet! I notice the webnovel's start date is May 29, but the first chapters weren't posted until July 1; it doesn't show up in the weekly rankings before then either. Was the start taken down and reworked or something?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[It's been done.]

Sorry. I had to say. Isekais are now to point they are beyond lazy.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
...I was quite bummed that 'Drugstore in Another World: The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist' got an adaptation and not this but here's to hoping that people won't lump these two together and think that it's just gonna be the same story.
Same here because if that happened it could be a crime. About any alternate version would be better than Cheat Pharma and this one looks like it might be...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Starting to feel like authors, and studios, are getting really desperate with ideas for isekai titles. Guess I'll wait for the inevitable title where the MC is a fast food worker and then gets transported and runs a magical B&B of sorts, or the salaryman who gets transported and takes over kingdoms with shrewd financial planning and economics.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:44 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Starting to feel like authors, and studios, are getting really desperate with ideas for isekai titles. Guess I'll wait for the inevitable title where the MC is a fast food worker and then gets transported and runs a magical B&B of sorts, or the salaryman who gets transported and takes over kingdoms with shrewd financial planning and economics.

We have something similar that's already airing. How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom. Only difference is that he's still a student instead of a salaryman.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
There are actually quite a few isekai manga that I'd like to get animated but one reason they probably wont is because the protagonist is a guy that becomes female when they arrive in the fantasy world. Not sure there's any specific reasoning behind it but the fact that there are literally no recent isekai anime where the protag switches gender looks like there aren't going to be any others soon.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Not sure there's any specific reasoning behind it but the fact that there are literally no recent isekai anime where the protag switches gender looks like there aren't going to be any others soon.

She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man is airing this year. A second season of Tanya was also recently announced. So that premise is not acting as any sort of deterrent in what series are chosen for adaptation.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
I've read a bit of this manga. It is in a niche I like a lot -- a person from our world is transported to some setting that is less technologically advanced, so they reinvent stuff, and become a "science superhero." Think Dr. Stone. However, the author takes a lazy way out of writing complicated stuff by giving the protagonist the super power to materialize anything he can remember the molecular formula of, which makes it much less interesting. Honestly, I never much cared for the current isekai fad because I feel like a lot of the tropes are there to circumvent things that the author thinks are too hard to write, but would be really interesting if they ever bothered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2