• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Company Charged For Selling Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Lookalike Products

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Can someone even claim copy right on green and black checkered board pattern? It obviously resembles demon slayer but I think it's kinda stretching it. Disney owns Mickey Mouse, but they don't own bipedal talking rodents.
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Some Mainland Copy cat Chinese companies ( like Alibaba) are already selling anime related merchandise, anime lamps and products in southeast Asian countries without
Prior permission of the Owner and licence holder!!
China is also involved which not surprising
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Things with this pattern are EVERYWHERE right now in Japan.
It does raise the question... Is it really OK to make using a checkered pattern an offense?
I could understand if it were a logo or symbol, but it’s such a simple pattern...
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Things with this pattern are EVERYWHERE right now in Japan.
It does raise the question... Is it really OK to make using a checkered pattern an offense?
I could understand if it were a logo or symbol, but it’s such a simple pattern...
Well, like it said in the news, Shueisha actually tried to patent the whole patterns of Kimetsu, including the Tanjiro haori pattern - and it actually failed because of it's simplicity.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
Some Mainland Copy cat Chinese companies ( like Alibaba) are already selling anime related merchandise, anime lamps and products in southeast Asian countries without

Alibaba is a market place not a manufacturer as the same sellers now seem to be operating on Amazon's market place too as well as ebay.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they trademarked clothing patterns, specially one as simple as Tanjiro's checkered robe. Still, I have to admit that all that confiscated merch looked kinda cool, here in South America Demon Slayer bootleg merchandise and apparel began to increase after the show got more exposure when it got released on Netflix, there's a shop near me which sells t-shirts, plushies, keychains, some knock-off figures and even some replicas of Tanjiro's earrings, all of the unnofficial. At least the official manga sold well here.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I can't believe they trademarked clothing patterns, specially one as simple as Tanjiro's checkered robe.

They didn't. They attempted to trademark it but the court declined.

Quote:
In June, Shueisha trademarked the clothing patterns for the following Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba characters: Giyū Tomioka, Shinobu Kocho, and Kyōjurō Rengoku. The trademark was denied for the clothing patterns of Tanjirō Kamado, Nezuko Kamado, and Zenitsu Agatsuma.

My thought is that the Tanjiro sweatshirt was marketed/labeled as official Demon Slayer merchandise when it isn't. Basically, you can take the same checker pattern as Tanjiro's robe and put it on your own merchandise, but you can't call it Demon Slayer merchandise. Think of those knock-off Halloween costumes where you know what it is, but in this case it'd be called "Historical Vampire Hunter" or something instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
As far as has been reported, Tanjiro's and Zenitsu's kimono patterns could not be trademarked. That said, if the sellers were explicitly linking the clothing to Demon Slayer, then they are violating other trademarks belonging to Demon Slayer.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:47 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, like it said in the news, Shueisha actually tried to patent the whole patterns of Kimetsu, including the Tanjiro haori pattern - and it actually failed because of it's simplicity.

I know they tried, but failed.
Despite that, they’re going after sellers with this pattern.
Unless they specifically advertised it as Demon Slayer stuff, it seems odd.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
I can't believe they trademarked clothing patterns, specially one as simple as Tanjiro's checkered robe.

They didn't. They attempted to trademark it but the court declined.

Quote:
In June, Shueisha trademarked the clothing patterns for the following Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba characters: Giyū Tomioka, Shinobu Kocho, and Kyōjurō Rengoku. The trademark was denied for the clothing patterns of Tanjirō Kamado, Nezuko Kamado, and Zenitsu Agatsuma.

My thought is that the Tanjiro sweatshirt was marketed/labeled as official Demon Slayer merchandise when it isn't. Basically, you can take the same checker pattern as Tanjiro's robe and put it on your own merchandise, but you can't call it Demon Slayer merchandise. Think of those knock-off Halloween costumes where you know what it is, but in this case it'd be called "Historical Vampire Hunter" or something instead.

Now I wonder if the sweatshirt and bath towels was made to be as exact as possible to the licensed sweatshirts, like the form of the towel and sweatshirt had the same stiching patterns and form as the licensed stuff.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

I was thinking that too as I read this article, that they must have slapped the Demon Slayer logo on the package rather than going the route you described. Whenever I think about the unlicensed knock off party costumes / cosplay I always wind up thinking of "Where's The Stripey Dude" (the Where's Wally / Waldo knock off):

P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:11 am Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
In practice, applying some sort of trademark law to products shipped overseas is very difficult. Within China, the government actually does do a lot and is pretty strict when it comes to curbing sales of products from illegitimate sources. The same cannot be said about really any online retailers who specialize in foreign customers. Actually that's why Alibaba and other Chinese online platforms are seen as bastions of piracy, because that's were really no regulation exists, or is not really worth the effort to enforce.

And I think that's why we don't see a lot of Japanese online retailers willing to deal with overseas customers. It just invites the inevitable piracy because the Japanese government just doesn't want to deal with international trademark law or enforcement. The ones that do sell overseas maybe are sites registered in another country or have to go through some certification process to prove all their products are legit, not sure how it works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1