• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: bilibili Removes Art, Data for Chinese Servants in Chinese Version of Fate/Grand Order Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuma991

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
That's right! THE CCP SERVES TO NO ONE BUT WINNIE!
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
Interestingly there are a few Chinese servants that have escaped the purge (or at least aren't mentioned in that statement)

Chen Gong
Prince of Lan Ling
Both versions (younger and older) of Li Shuwen
Zhuge Liang (Lord El-Melloi II)

I guess these were deemed "respectful" enough to meet whatever the new CCP censorship requirement is.

For Waver, I can only assume the deciding factor separating him from Reines is either a) because Waver is male or b) because Sima Yi will occasionally directly speak through Reines (unlike Zhuge Liang, who apparently just handed full control to Waver and went to sleep).

Last edited by KefkaesqueXIII on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
Is there any context information, as to why?
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
Were I from China, I'd be rioting. Reines here is the worst offender of all of this mess. She's just a british girl possessed by some Three Kingdom general who almost never talks. Just keep her original name and pretend you don't know who's the Servant is. This gotta hurt, damn. Imagine having whaled for any of those Servants just for Winnie the Pooh to take them away from you. And LB3 was their favorite Lostbelt and now it's gutted beyond repair.

Also it's a sad thing that to not alienate the Chinese player base, odds are we're never seeing events with Servants from there ever again.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The CCP doesn't want there to be any "disrespectful" representations of historical Chinese figures.
AnotherRat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The same as always, the CCP is butthurt at fictional characters not portraying the awesomeness, coolness, grandeur and magnificence of China!!! All hail Winnie Poo !!!!!!

[EDIT: You're welcome to criticize China and the actions of its government, but leave out the racial slurs ~Zalis]
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

This obviously needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but according to a Reddit poster's Chinese friend the situation was kicked off by a Taiwanese-devloped mobile game whose portrayal of a heroic figure did not go over well in China.

This, combined with stories of kids supposedly answering questions in class with details specific to game portrayals instead of details from the textbook, has lead to blanket regulations regarding the portrayal of Chinese figures that is affecting all mobile games over there, not just FGO.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

This obviously needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but according to a Reddit poster's Chinese friend the situation was kicked off by a Taiwanese-devloped mobile game whose portrayal of a heroic figure did not go over well in China.

This, combined with stories of kids supposedly answering questions in class with details specific to game portrayals instead of details from the textbook, has lead to blanket regulations regarding the portrayal of Chinese figures that is affecting all mobile games over there, not just FGO.

I swear the CCP always come with ways to censored stuff for dumb reasons Rolling Eyes Mad
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That reminds me when Dante's inferno came out on ps3, and people joked about kids playing the game instead of reading the original poem.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
AnotherRat wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

The same as always, the CCP is butthurt at fictional characters not portraying the awesomeness, coolness, grandeur and magnificence of China!!! All hail Winnie Poo [removed] !!!!!!

The situation is very disappointing but we can do without the racial slurs.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Saiphaz wrote:
She's just a british girl possessed by some Three Kingdom general who almost never talks.

I doubt whoever was is in charge of deciding who gets censored even knows each servant's circumstances. They probably really believe that FGO depicts Sima Yi as a prestigious British teenage girl Rolling Eyes
ice_tea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This has nothing to do with censorship. Those original names are either famous historical or fictional characters. Foreigners probably don't know that those names already appear in many other films, TV shows and games. Maybe the game developers think that people will find them confusing. It's just that simple.

{Mod Edit}: Leave out the insults from your posts. ~ Redbeard 101
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
ice_tea wrote:
This has nothing to do with censorship. Those original names are either famous historical or fictional characters. Foreigners probably don't know that those names already appear in many other films, TV shows and games. Maybe the game developers think that people will find them confusing. It's just that simple.

I won't act like an expert, but I think it may be other reasons other than the names, considering the history of the CCP. Also, you don't need to be rude to explain your opinion.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
ice_tea wrote:
This has nothing to do with censorship.

Then maybe you could define censorship for us. You know, so we can tell what is and is not censorship.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The the CPC should ban the game completely then. Won't that work better then? Changing some names won't prevent players from finding the original names from the Internet if they are interested.

RockSplash wrote:

I won't act like an expert, but I think it may be other reasons other than the names, considering the history of the CCP. Also, you don't need to be rude to explain your opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2