• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Posts Opening Credits

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It's nice homage to the original show but I don't think it looks good, I'm not trying to sound too negative but it looks like a one of those videos where they try to recreate an anime opening in real life with cosplayers and I think this is a good example how something looks better animated than in live-action. Also I don't remember the original Cowboy Bebop making references to future episodes in the OP, most people are already familiar with the source material but I think it ruins the mystery for newcomers, also in the original the characters were drawn somewhat obscured or framed in shadow but here you can clearly see them and it doesn't look great. I think it would have looked better if the opening was animated in 2D like the original anime but with the charcters modeled after their actors, but that's just me. I really hope the show turns out good though.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
It's probably a mistake to try to recreate the anime opening. Having something to directly compare it to just brings out the flaws even more.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
. Also I don't remember the original Cowboy Bebop making references to future episodes in the OP, most people are already familiar with the source material but I think it ruins the mystery for newcomers.

I think what source material/ existing fans of a show (any show) fail to consider is that pointing out that a scene/image is a spoiler is what spoils it, not the scene itself.
Now, I'm not accusing you of spoiling anything since you didn't specify what in the OP is a spoiler, but I personally feel that an OP revealing stuff in future episodes is barely any different than a show starting in media res and then jumping backward.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Why mention Funimation’s recent releases of the franchise and make no mention of Bandai’s original series release, or Sony’s original movie release. I get the impression, justifiably or not, of a little bias.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Improving on Tank is an unenviable task, so I’m not surprised they just…didn’t.
Daigunbuster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
This looks so bad, it's just feels cheap and low budget. Why do they keep trying to make live action versions of anime that need ludicrous budgets to look good? I'm dying to see how bad pne piece is going to look.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Production Staff: "We don't want to just remake the show because everyone has already seen that."

Opening: "Look forward to us remaking all your favorite episodes!"
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Why mention Funimation’s recent releases of the franchise and make no mention of Bandai’s original series release, or Sony’s original movie release. I get the impression, justifiably or not, of a little bias.

...because they're the current license holders?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
This is... kinda not great...

Like, I kinda respect them sticking to the style of the original opening but *man* the actors moving in those silhouette shots look fake and forced.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Why does live-action Spike seem to own a 1975 Camaro? I noticed it in a publicity shot on Twitter yesterday and I see it again in the opening.

I don't remember a Camaro in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Just Passing Through wrote:

...because they're the current license holders?

Only in one territory, ANN has a global reach. If we’re talking current license holders there are other names missing, of which Anime Limited is just one.
db999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This opening made me quite optimistic about the show. The actual clips and characters and scenes look really well done. The reason why the opening doesn't work has nothing to do with the clips being bad or the show looking cheap. The problem is 100% the editing of the sequence. I can tell that they do not have enough live action coverage for some of these clips. The reason it looks cheap is that with some shots, they need 3 seconds of coverage, but the live action footage is only 2.5 seconds long. So what they do is they have the character or clip show up on screen for a half second before the character has to move, but that means the footage is not moving for way too long before it starts moving. The issue is that they're trying to make the Opening too close to the original. What they needed to do is record a slightly shorter version of the song so they can match the live action footage the have to the coverage they need in the opening.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ngl this looks like some entry to an AMV contest from the mid 2000s.....
LuluTheOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what most people have already said - the opening looks cheap/comparable to a fan-made production. I appreciate the attempt to borrow the style of the original to try and sell the idea that this will be a faithful adaptation; but I think this shows more negatives than positives.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I never expected we would be getting mad Pierrot in this. That's my faovrite episode of the series. Still, it definately looks Bebop, but I need to know if it is written and directed. Wattanabe and others at sunrise wrote such a unique series. I hesistate to see of this will be just as good. As for the series looking cheap, I think that's more recreating the opening. The framerate has been increased to imitate the anime, though this is merely guessing.

I want to see a trailer or clip before I really make a judgement. I do think this will be better than death note, though that is a really low bar considering death note didn't even try to recreate the feel or look of the anime. However, I am cautiously optimistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6