• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pop Team Epic Creator Launches YouTube Channel, Introduces Cats

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I like news like this.

I also find the names he chose pretty funny.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
What's with the wedge clipped out of the ear? Is it to show they aren't strays if they got out or something? Seems needless and cruel.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
taishou*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
What's with the wedge clipped out of the ear? Is it to show they aren't strays if they got out or something? Seems needless and cruel.

Emerje

It's called a "sakura mimi" or sakura ear in Japan. This indicates that cat has been neutered/spayed. Generally this is done if the cat is part of a feral colony and is picked up by a TNR program. It doesn't hurt the cat, it just provides easy visual indication that the cat is sterile. In this case, these cats obviously aren't feral and were able to be adopted out, but usually cats picked up by TNR programs are returned to their colony, so the notching of the ears is important for knowing which cats have/haven't been sterilized.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
It's called a "sakura mimi" or sakura ear in Japan. This indicates that cat has been neutered/spayed. Generally this is done if the cat is part of a feral colony and is picked up by a TNR program. It doesn't hurt the cat, it just provides easy visual indication that the cat is sterile. In this case, these cats obviously aren't feral and were able to be adopted out, but usually cats picked up by TNR programs are returned to their colony, so the notching of the ears is important for knowing which cats have/haven't been sterilized.

Thanks for this information. I learned something new today.

And here I just thought that the notch-ears were just an artistic flourish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1