• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Forum Software

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hi All,

We're going to be finally upgrading the ANN forum in the very near future.

Over the years we looked at a couple other forum softwares, including Xenforo, but ultimately we're leaning very heavily towards the current version of PHPBB3, 3.3.1

Upgrading from PHPBB2 to 3 will allow us to keep all the old forums, and discussions in place, as well as keeping a familiar (but upgraded) interface that people are used to. Modifying it for our needs would also be a bit simpler as we would be able to look at what modifications we already made on PHPBB2.

That said, we haven't 100% committed to this yet, so I'm here to ask if there are any strong suggestions for other software.
toprak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Hi All,

We're going to be finally upgrading the ANN forum in the very near future.

Over the years we looked at a couple other forum softwares, including Xenforo, but ultimately we're leaning very heavily towards the current version of PHPBB3, 3.3.1

Upgrading from PHPBB2 to 3 will allow us to keep all the old forums, and discussions in place, as well as keeping a familiar (but upgraded) interface that people are used to. Modifying it for our needs would also be a bit simpler as we would be able to look at what modifications we already made on PHPBB2.

That said, we haven't 100% committed to this yet, so I'm here to ask if there are any strong suggestions for other software.

PHPBB3 is fair enough.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Going to PHPBB3 would be great, for very self-centred reasons.

That aside, I'm looking forward to a shiny new ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
Forgive me for asking this but I have no idea what this means for someone like me or how this'll make things better for me.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Going to PHPBB3 would be great, for very self-centred reasons.

That's actually a really good point. We have a lot of evergreen discussion threads going on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Apropos of nothing, let me just point out that I hate and fear change. I really hope the ANN upgrade does not mess with my My Anime Lists.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Just noticed this thread. Sorry if I'm late to the party.

As someone involved in anime/manga-related scholarship, I appreciate that the PHPBB3 option preserves access to existing threads. On several occasions, comments in random, decade-old Talkback threads have led me to valuable academic citations to articles from sources like Protoculture Addicts, Anime World Magazine, and other infrequently-mentioned periodicals that I wouldn't have thought to even look for on my own. Plus, on a sentimental level, I really like how the ANN message boards provide a look back at the discourse of our fandom.

[Edited for clarity because it's late and I'm tired. Laughing ]
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Pardon my necro, but did anything ever come of this? Did it get back-burnered? I don't see any forum search results for PHPBB3 from the past year.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:58 am Reply with quote
I am not really of a techie person so definitely need to check the link that that Otakuch has shared BUT... like Errinundra, I'm definitely excited to see the new look of ANN! Very Happy
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:13 am Reply with quote
Here's something I'm wondering. When will we get this PHPBB3 forum? The reason I ask because for a long time now,the statistics below or a lot else doesn't seem to change no matter how long you been here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1