• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Witchblade DVD 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
I apparently liked the dub slightly more than Carlo but otherwise thought this review was right on the money for volume 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see Witchblade get good ratings at this point in the series and to see people acknowledge the highlights present. It's both nice and surprising to see GONZO go in the direction they went with the show and not just solely make it into a T&A festival.

Though I haven't been too warm to the dub [watched via IFC broadcast] (too much of a tonal change in Masane and parts of the dialouge to the point it becomes a distraction and detriment), there are a good amount of performances. I really liked Maria's freakout performance by her Japanese VA, so I definately will be looking forward to how her English VA holds up (and knowing FUNimation's dubbing style, it'll probably be pretty good).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mmsven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
So am I the only one who thought this show was a waste of time?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:

Well if you're watching it for a strong awe inspiring plot you're barking up the wrong tree. The show does the same thing the comic does, entertain with T&A and action. So in that aspect it succeeds pretty well. Plus as already mentioned countless times the dub for this is truly a good one and one of the better dubs Funi has done period. I've only watched the first 2 episodes of vol 4 myself so I still have to finish it and see how the volume ends in my opinion.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:

Definitely not. It was such a chore finishing this series. The "skin" wasn't that big of a deal with this show. I could watch any one of a hundred of harem anime that do it better. The action was dull. I found the beginning fights a bit boring, but good on horror. The later fights would carry themselves for a few seconds here and there and otherwise be nothing to look at.

The animation just seemed ok. Nothing seemed to look terrible, most of the time, but the actual animating was very little. Not a whole lot moved.

It just screams average to me. Even if you like the mother-daughter relationship very much(which I admit, didn't touch me very much so I do probably like it less than others), I don't see how the rest of the show burdened with the weight of actual plot and action to make it a good watch.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
I've been watching it on IFC since January and I can tell you, It's nothing like the western comic book. The plot and story elements are different from the manga and comic book. I like that. Well in reguards to upcoming episodes well I can say from what I heard,spoiler[Reina is actaully Riko's birth mother!

Also Masane eventually gives Riko up to Reina!]
birdienumnums

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the review, but I would have graded this volume a little higher, personally. Maybe that's because I enjoyed the series so much? Very Happy

In defence of the Masu-Mane-at-the-beach episode, it needs to be said that sometimes a fluffy episode is necessary to keep the pacing of the story on track! At least it wasn't a re-cap!

It wasn't the strongest episode in the series, but it was a necessary and well timed break, considering what's coming up in the next few episodes! Rushing in head-first would just feel like everything was moving too quickly. The characters need to take time to breathe or they stop feeling like real people.

This episode allowed for some character development Shocked (ok... maybe not *THAT* much) and it reminded us what Masame is fighting for; what she wants to give Riko. It was a wonderful contrast to the horrors she is protecting Riko, and the extended "family", from.

I have already enjoyed this series from start to finish, and the episodes in Volume 4 were some of my favourites, even the goofy beach episode. It made me laugh out-loud a few times, though admittedly it is a bit of a disappointment as the final episode on an otherwise fast-paced DVD. Rolling Eyes
BluMeino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The ending of the show was pretty ambiguous and lame, Gonzo ending.

I won't ever be buying this series.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy these Gonzo titles that feature older parental characters like Witchblade, Solty Rei, and even Speed Grapher. I'm glad that many of the themes and issues that the protagonists of these shows face like child custody, restructuring family, opening up to strangers, making enough for rent, and making the choice of living alone or starting a family are ones that many of us older fans can relate with.

My favorite moments in Witchblade are the ones that are not combat intensive. I really enjoyed the formal party episode on the third volume and love the drama on the fourth. The scene where Masane tries to spoiler[distance herself from her daughter by saying she is a burden] is absolutely heartbreaking. It reminds me of the best moments in Solty Rei spoiler[near the end, where Roy shuts Solty off and can only obsess about his daughter.] Truly emotional stuff that hits me hard.

There are so many anime series that revolve around first kisses and hot spring antics. It feels as though many of Gonzo's shows are aimed towards an older audience.

Good grief that second OP song really is awful.
Intravenous Agnostic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I am alone in feeling like the Witchblade is almost only a tertiary concern (so far at least) to the series which prefers to focus on the bonds between its primary characters moreso than the actual mythology/abilities/purpose of the weapon itself and those who covet it? I've never seen any other Witchblade series or read any of the comics, and would normally feel like I'm missing out on huge chunks of background.

But, the chemistry between the protagonists (Masane and Riko in particular) in this series makes me feel like its relationship-centric story a good thing.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Good grief that second OP song really is awful.

But insidiously catchy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1