• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen 0

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the movie and without giving any spoilers, the movie heavily hints at a possible season 2 based on added flashbacks. Up-to-date manga readers will also be treated to a post-credit scene.

I wouldn't say that the movie is over-hyped like Mugen Train, like don't expect Marvel's End Game cinema or anything equivalent (which seems to me that people use as the bar nowadays) but Jujutsu Kaisen 0 certainly adds more than what is in the manga, covers some things that was briefly mentioned in season 1, and more or less sets up for season 2 and after the Shibuya Incident arc.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Geto's presence provides a welcome conflict and the opportunity for some large-scale battles, but mostly it's a good opportunity for fanservice (of the non-sexual variety). ]

How i wish it was just fanservice. Super spoiler from the manga spoiler[He actually died there. And we wouldn't have the main manga's stuff if that wasn't the case. ]
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hard to handle this to me. I mean, this was actually the first original Jujutsu Kaisen story that became the first chapter of all when the manga sold well. As a result, I read the volume 0 first rather than volume 1 when reading the manga. I kinda ended up liking Okkotsu more than Itadori and I miss the former since the guy developed so nicely in volume 0 while Itadori feels more like a normal shonen protagonist like Ichigo Kurosaki during his better chapters (the first chapter Jujutsu Kaisen really looked like Bleach with a male Rukia now that I think about it). Still, I get why Okkotsu, barely appears in the main manga. It would be like cheating considering the power he displays. spoiler[The post credit scene seems to hint his return but that takes a lot of time in regards to the serialization as he is only mentioned by Fushiguro and others.]
cchigu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
No, Mugen Train was very solid and much much better than the TV anime. All thanks to Rengoku.
Matros

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
No, Mugen Train was very solid and much much better than the TV anime. All thanks to Rengoku.

There's a big difference between very solid and treating it like the second coming of Christ wich people did.
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Yet despite adapting a story from the manga, I wouldn't actually call it essential viewing."

I suppose if you were an anime-only watcher of the series, it wouldn't exactly seem like essential viewing. That said, the prequel is rather important in regards to the events that are to come should Season 2 get announced as well as the rest of the story as a whole. That alone makes it 100% essential viewing.

As for the movie itself, MAPPA did an absolute knock-out job adding scenes not in the original manga as well as scenes only talked about in the main series via word of mouth from characters (spoiler[Nanami and Todou taking part during the Night Parade of 100 Demons]). I can only assume they were in talks with Gege for the movie just like they were for the TV anime. Glad to see the material be adapted and further elevated.

Can't wait to see it for myself whenever it arrives in overseas theatres!
DarkJak2050

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
If it arrives overseas...

If it doesn't get released overseas soon, then the overseas fan base is going to start calling up Luffy & the Straw Hats (if you know what I mean). Which may do some harm.

We wouldn't want that now, wouldn't we?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
DarkJak2050 wrote:

Most movies are released overseas lately, at least in the United States. It's more a question of if it will be streamed first or if it will be in theaters first.

It's hard to say which is more likely for JJK 0 since it appears that Viz holds the master license (they sublicensed streaming rights to CR, then apparently later to Funimation). I don't recall how they treat films. Perhaps they will commission the dub and have Funimation distribute it to theaters?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:

It's hard to say which is more likely for JJK 0 since it appears that Viz holds the master license (they sublicensed streaming rights to CR, then apparently later to Funimation). I don't recall how they treat films. Perhaps they will commission the dub and have Funimation distribute it to theaters?

Honestly I think the bigger question is if theaters will even be open for it to release in. With COVID numbers spiking across the entire country it's very possible the US will be going into a lockdown similar to 2020 in the coming months.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:

Honestly I think the bigger question is if theaters will even be open for it to release in. With COVID numbers spiking across the entire country it's very possible the US will be going into a lockdown similar to 2020 in the coming months.

I mean, I dunno about that dude - doesn't seem like much people care about Covid anymore. Look at the massive box-office Spiderman No Way Home did. It looks more to me that movie theaters are making a comeback now.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
DarkJak2050 wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll had the master license, who sub-licensed the home video release to Viz, and then shared it with Funimation after the merger. Crunchyroll funded all the dubs, after all, and gave it worldwide minus Asia availability.
I think the most likely possibility is CR will let Funimation Films distribute the movie, since that entity is very successful with anime movie releases in NA, and then eventually it will probably stream on CR and Funi (and hopefully a Viz release later on).
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
DarkJak2050 wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll had the master license, who sub-licensed the home video release to Viz, and then shared it with Funimation after the merger. Crunchyroll funded all the dubs, after all, and gave it worldwide minus Asia availability.
I think the most likely possibility is CR will let Funimation Films distribute the movie, since that entity is very successful with anime movie releases in NA, and then eventually it will probably stream on CR and Funi (and hopefully a Viz release later on).

Ah, you're right. I misinterpreted the data in the encyclopedia.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
You planning to do another review for the English dub?
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Ogata knocked it so far out of the park it's in another dimension all together. An absolutely fantastic performance. I might be my favorite of her so far. Even if you don't understand a word of Japanese, the pain in her voice was easy to hear for anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1