• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Days Inn Penn State — Home to Inaugural Otakon, Setsucon Conventions — to be Demolished

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fausti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
Sad to hear of this. I have fond memories of the first Otakon there.
Shiggitay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't there for the first Otakon, but damn... a piece of con-goer history gone! What's gonna go in its place? EDIT: This isn't technically a new account... it got pruned so it got restarted? IDK.
psipsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:35 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that in the span of almost 30 years, all of Otakon's previous locations were still open and operating, even if accounting for the BCC trying to slowly return to the earth. Aside from Katsucon, I can't think of any other cons that started in the same era that can say the same thing.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:27 am Reply with quote
A shame to lose that bit of history. Though at least that's better than having a venue shut down and demolished in a year while a convention was still planning to run there.
Anne F

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:22 am Reply with quote
psipsy wrote:
It's interesting that in the span of almost 30 years, all of Otakon's previous locations were still open and operating, even if accounting for the BCC trying to slowly return to the earth. Aside from Katsucon, I can't think of any other cons that started in the same era that can say the same thing.

I think ACen would be the closest. They started in 1998. I can't find any info on their first hotel, but the second hotel is still around, but is run by a different company, and the third was turned into apartments. They've been at their current location for 20 years. And as I typed that out, I started to feel very old. I started attending in 2003. Lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1