• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Duke of Death and His Maid

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farafra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This one genuinely surprised me. The connection between the Duke and Alice felt real and there was always a feeling of danger whenever they were together. Its a good watch. Yeah I winced at the animation at first, but considering how low the bar was set for CG anime in 2021, this looks like a masterpiece compared to some of it's contemporaries.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
One of the surprise treats of last year. Can't wait for season 2!
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this one a lot. I thought the relationship was well done and the secondary characters were good too. Only "issue" with the series is the animation style. I would have preferred something more traditional than the use of CG here. I don't think it was really held back too much in the end, but I think it doesn't look as good as it could have.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I got very attached to the CGI style for this series, because it gave me a real Nightmare Before Christmas vibe that fit so perfectly. I could almost believe they were consulting with Tim Burton on the look of this series. Smile

I've already written my most coherent thoughts on their relationship here, so I won't spam up the board with copypasta.

But beyond the central pair, there were so many supporting characters who actually supported the story and were well-developed in their own right: his brother and sister, the witches, Rob the butler, and even the cat. (gah, there were way more boob allusions in that paragraph than I intended... Shocked )
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering Cliff is best known for playing Bakugo, picturing Bakugo (vocally speaking) as a wimp and in love is hilarious.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am Reply with quote
It was definitely one of the surprises for recent anime. It seemed to find a good balance of its parts that didn't weigh it down and turn monotonous. The CGI was surprising, both in that I don't know why it was chosen, and in that it turned out ok. Maybe the fact that the characters weren't moving around a whole lot, like with an action series, worked to its advantage because it called less attention to the CGI itself?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This is such a sweet little show. I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates it. Thanks for the review![/u]
latetoedo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Expecting a silly (maybe even stupid) romantic comedy, I found an engaging story beyond the main couples' relationship as well as some amazingly touching scenes and I enjoyed the visual style. Well worth watching.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:33 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite scenes is the almost dancing scene. It really helped me appreciate the CGI in the series, and I appreciated the little details that were able to be here and there.

I can also appreciate that fanservice, as that tends to be more difficult in CGI.

Love this series, glad I kept going passed the first episode
DarkAudit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I love how the Duke does not hesitate or retreat in showing his love for Alice. For example in the Xmas episode:

Insert fantasy of Alice in skimpy Santa dress here...

"You're imagining me in that outfit, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"Do I look good?"

"YES!" Cool
thecritter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Alice keeps him on his toes, interested, and alive with her flirting and flashing. She gives him a goal and a reason to look to the future and to find a cure for his curse. Without her, he could simply have fallen into suicidal depression.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
I think it's a delightful series, a lowkey melancholic romantic comedy. I still have the question of how did the Duke learn how his touch would kill people or perhaps it'd more accurate to say how he learned to believe it.

The biggest complaint I hear against the show is the 3D animation but I feel it works in the show's favor. Since everything looks weird, a witch showing up with a bird's head isn't as unusual as it could be.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:27 am Reply with quote
Thank you for this review. I had let this series go by, but the review (and the resulting comments here) prompted me to take a look.

I'm glad I did. It is charming and very sweet. Looking forward to more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1