• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsunoko Pro Animates The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:47 am Reply with quote
Huh surprised to see Tatsunoko Pro is handling this. Since I'm not the target audience of most of the children-oriented anime produced by this studio, I'm not sure what to expect. Still, I'm cautiously excited for a proper TV anime adaptation of the Trails series after the lackluster OVA adaptations of the Sky games. Given how the tetralogy of the Steel games are split into two parts, I suspect the TV adaptation will cover only the first two games. Even so, it'll be very difficult to condense the sprawling plot of the games. I hope it won't turn out to be a series of highlight reels that look more like a promo for the games and please make it two cour.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:01 am Reply with quote
This is somewhat a mighty spoiler of a news. So they plan to animate the North Ambria annexation part. I believe it has a potential to be quite good since it has all the essential plots on how Rean coped during his time as a govt lapdog and how the circumstances led him to lose his ogre powers

Still, the cast should be pretty minimal though, but I feel like other characters esp heroines will be needlessly included for fanservice. Excited to see my waifu Aurelia being a badass.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:11 am Reply with quote
^^
Good to hear that they plan on animating the gap between Coldt Steel 2 and 3. Alot of plot critical stuff happens during that point that it was pretty glaring when jt all happened off screen. It's also smart since they'd need like 50 episodes just to do each game. Might as well do anime original content set during a period that hasn't bee depicted.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hope Funi brings the voice cast from the game back for the show.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
Didn’t expect Tatsunoko to animate something like this.

Then again, they stopped trying to create mostly superhero guys in helmets and just stuck to making regular anime like everyone else, starting in late 1982 with Macross.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how this will look visually (although seeing the director, I'm expecting a lot of CG) and what the original character/game character ratio will be.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Alright I'm more caught up with the details now. Animating the gap between the second and third game does seem like a better idea than trying to be a faithful adaptation, which will inevitably end up subpar compared to the games. Not sure how I feel about having an anime original female protagonist though (just please don't turn her into another member of Rean's harem thanks).
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I love this series to death. I don't think this anime is a particularly great idea since the timeframe it covers really narrows its audience (or I imagine it will - love to be proven wrong). The only people who are really going to appreciate the infodump that will have to accompany this timeframe in the series are the fans. Which means very few will appreciate this, and there will be almost no chance of it continuing.

My theory is they literally looked at the most popular part of the series (and CS/Rean is, in my recollection, the best the series has ever sold in terms of overall numbers) and said, "We'll do THAT part of the series." Is Ouroboros gonna make any sense? References to Crossbell, Liberl and range of key incidents going to ring any bells? Know what a bracer is? Can Oliver competently write music?

I don't think so.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
apparently Rean won't be the MC of this anime instead the focus will be on some girl, I'll give that a shot I guess but most animes based around games tend to not be very good
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I guess. The setting has like a metric ton of plot and worldbuilding related baggage behind it so probably really difficult to make it accessible to everyone. Just gonna jump straight in the middle of the main character's arc. Having an anime original protagonist sounds a bit interesting, that might make it a bit more accessible.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Ack! The reasons to hurry up and play Ao just keep stacking up..
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh. As a fan, this is probably the best case- its something we've heard of, but not actually seen. Which means if its good, new material from a series I enjoy, and if it isn't, it can be easily dropped without missing much.

That said...I can't imagine this being a good starting point for new folks. Wonder if they'll try?

Hope they try to get the VAs. If a dub arrives without Chiplock as Rean, I'll be quite disappointed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

While that is still up in the air, for consistency and to appease many fans Funi should. Even if Funi attempts this, it is also possible that for whatever reason maybe some Eng. dub VA can't or don't want to reprise their roles.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:35 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
Huh. As a fan, this is probably the best case- its something we've heard of, but not actually seen. Which means if its good, new material from a series I enjoy, and if it isn't, it can be easily dropped without missing much.

Pretty much! Pleasantly surprised with where they took this anime project idea, though yeah as many have pointed out, this is a hilariously narrow window for anyone who has no knowledge of the series, and given FUNi is involved with this I wonder how cool they are with that.

That said unlike what others are saying I think an original protagonist will work much better here. Even though we didn't see the war in full in the game, only vague flashbacks, we get more than enough details on what Rean was up too in it, so not much new would be gleamed from just following his perspective. Honestly the biggest worry I have is what format this will be. This sounds like a great OVA/movie idea, but a TV anime not so much.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

Yup, that'd be great for all the returning characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1