• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zombie Zoo Anime Based on 9-Year-Old Boy's NFTs Debuts in May

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toloran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
NFT

No. Full Stop.

Quote:
Toei Animation stated this is the first project in a plan to expand its NFT initiatives that will "[partner] with creators to develop animation franchises based off of NFT artwork."

Don't legitimize this garbage.
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:14 am Reply with quote
It seems like the more the general public rails against NFT's the harder creators and corporations want to lean into them.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:47 am Reply with quote
The good thing about having a Zombie Zoo is the animals are already dead, so nobody can complain about animal cruelty.
StarDango

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:39 am Reply with quote
The association with NFTs is unfortunate cause I’m really digging these character designs. Love this kind of art style.

It is only worsened by fact that’s all these NFTs are a 9 year old’s art. If his parents or any other adult in his life are somehow not controlling this and profiting off of him, I’ll be shocked. I do agree that the system behind NFTs is pretty sketchy and not trustworthy, but at the least the artists that I know who really do take it seriously are using their own work.

This is a whole level worse. It’s just incredibly sleazy to sell NFTs of a child’s artwork, especially if they’re your kid. It’s kinda like those YouTube channels that make a show of their kids.
Rodem

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:35 am Reply with quote
I swear I recently saw a headline about how the NTF boom is dying. Whatever the case, it would be truly hilarious if by the time this aired, no one gave a shit abt NFTs anymore.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
It looks cute but...NFT's.
Regalli

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:21 am Reply with quote
StarDango wrote:
The association with NFTs is unfortunate cause I’m really digging these character designs. Love this kind of art style.

It is only worsened by fact that’s all these NFTs are a 9 year old’s art. If his parents or any other adult in his life are somehow not controlling this and profiting off of him, I’ll be shocked. I do agree that the system behind NFTs is pretty sketchy and not trustworthy, but at the least the artists that I know who really do take it seriously are using their own work.

This is a whole level worse. It’s just incredibly sleazy to sell NFTs of a child’s artwork, especially if they’re your kid. It’s kinda like those YouTube channels that make a show of their kids.

Yeah, there’s something particularly despicable about using a young child’s art for your pyramid scheme. Gross, and shame on Toei for legitimizing this all.

(Though on your second point, a whole TON of artists have reported having their art stolen and made into NFTs, and OpenSea apparently won’t remove them. So there are definitely people involved in this pyramid scheme stealing art outright for profit, along with your more stereotypical Bored Ape-type artists. Even so, a nine-year-old just screams of exploitation by the adults in this kid’s life.)
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
StarDango wrote:

Apparently his mom does nfts so that probably explains a lot.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Girl on the right has a cute design. Hopefully it's a good show.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
everyone involved should be blacklisted
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Look better than Red Ape Family..... Wish, NFT wasn't a thing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
...you can't have anything "based on an NFT." An NFT isn't the actual artwork, it's some dumbass digital receipt that represents precisely jack squat.
livin_large

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Slim Reaper wrote:
It seems like the more the general public rails against NFT's the harder creators and corporations want to lean into them.

I think it's more that uninformed people rail against it while creators and corporations that have looked into it and see the potential. The same thing happened with eBay, PayPal, and other online services back in the early 2000s where people insisted they were scams and only idiots use them because grifters on those sites would steal your money. We saw the same thing again when crowd funding popped up and people said every Kickstarter and GoFundMe was a scam and people were just throwing their money away. There certainly was and still is people who do use all these things for scams, but the idea that a piece of technology can't be used for good or evil on it's own seems naïve. Blockchain is already used by a number of big companies for everyday services so people are already using it whether they realize it or not.

No matter how people feel about NFTs, I certainly hope we don't see the usual harassment and death threats being directed towards this boy or his family over this like we see whenever other artists or celebrities get into them. That's never acceptable.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
@ToeiAnimetion why not go for the full threeslots? Cool Laughing
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
Slim Reaper wrote:

I think it's more that uninformed people rail against it while creators and corporations that have looked into it and see the potential. The same thing happened with eBay, PayPal, and other online services back in the early 2000s where people insisted they were scams and only idiots use them because grifters on those sites would steal your money. We saw the same thing again when crowd funding popped up and people said every Kickstarter and GoFundMe was a scam and people were just throwing their money away. There certainly was and still is people who do use all these things for scams, but the idea that a piece of technology can't be used for good or evil on it's own seems naïve. Blockchain is already used by a number of big companies for everyday services so people are already using it whether they realize it or not.

I get what you're saying, and lots of people of skeptical of new technology/change, but every one of the things you listed actually do the thing they are made for. NFTs do nothing. They actually are a scam. Explain the "potential".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2