• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Adds English Dubs of 4 Shin-chan Spin-off Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Well i checked out the first episode of Aliens vs. Shinnosuke dubbed, and dear god did they botch it. The audio is out of synch(I switched over to JP at one point to make sure it was just the dub track) and the voice acting is lousy. It's done by some company I've never even heard of called Universal Cinergia Dubbing.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Well i checked out the first episode of Aliens vs. Shinnosuke dubbed, and dear god did they botch it. The audio is out of synch(I switched over to JP at one point to make sure it was just the dub track) and the voice acting is lousy. It's done by some company I've never even heard of called Universal Cinergia Dubbing.

That is very disappointing. I wouldn't have gone into it expecting the prior English cast, but something that was decently produced isn't a whole lot to ask. I don't think it would have been too hard for Amazon of all companies to be able to contract a studio that could handle that much.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Out of Florida.

With the expected Floridian quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's done by some company I've never even heard of called Universal Cinergia Dubbing.

Ah, Miami again...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I don't think it would have been too hard for Amazon of all companies to be able to contract a studio that could handle that much.
I'm not that surprised the dub has a lot of issues as I recall fans reporting Amazon's dub of the Rebuild of Evangelion movies also have a lot of weird errors.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
]I'm not that surprised the dub has a lot of issues as I recall fans reporting Amazon's dub of the Rebuild of Evangelion movies also have a lot of weird errors.

The Amazon dubs of the Eva movies were by Dubbing Brothers. I think they probably dubbed those movies in a hurry, too, which explains some of the mistakes. I hope they fix some of the errors before they're put on a Blu-Ray set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:31 pm Reply with quote
^Those will probably get redubbed again given last month's news of Italy redubbing 4.0.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:04 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's done by some company I've never even heard of called Universal Cinergia Dubbing.

Ah, Miami again...

That's interesting, Universal Cinergia Dubbing produced the Neutral Spanish dub for Demon Slayer and that dub was well received by fans in that region. They also dubbed Smiling Friends which was fine as well. Maybe the quality depends on the studio they choose. Didn't know English dubs made in Miami had a bad reputation, here in Spanish they also had bad reputation, especially for the My Hero Academia dub they made.

penguintruth wrote:
The Amazon dubs of the Eva movies were by Dubbing Brothers. I think they probably dubbed those movies in a hurry, too, which explains some of the mistakes. I hope they fix some of the errors before they're put on a Blu-Ray set.

I wasn't aware the English dub for Rebuild 4 had problems. I haven't seen the Neutral Spanish version but many fans here were disappointed that Amazon dubbed the movie, as well as redubbing the previous Rebuild movies, in Argentina instead of Mexico where all of the Eva projects were dubbed. At least Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Mari were voiced by their original actors remotely, but that just makes me wonder why they just didn't dub it in Mexico. Prime Video's Spanish dubs have a mixed reputation, some are good but their most popular shows, Invincible and The Boys, are dubbed in El Salvador, a country which has very little dubbing experience
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
]I'm not that surprised the dub has a lot of issues as I recall fans reporting Amazon's dub of the Rebuild of Evangelion movies also have a lot of weird errors.

I hope and pray they get redubbed. I understand if getting the Funimation cast again is asking too much (it seems Anno is weirdly stubborn about the poor reception of 3.0's first dub even though the Funimation dub of the Rebuild films are the best that Eva has ever sounded in English, but it's best to look at what could happen in the future.

A redub of the whole series with the Amazon Prime cast COULD work. They honestly just need to spend a few weeks on each film and make sure the emotion is there. I don't even care that Anno prefers strangely literal translations over a loose but effective script. It COULD work if you have the right vocal talent and direction.
wjbraden

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^Those will probably get redubbed again given last month's news of Italy redubbing 4.0.

Sure hope You Can (Not) Redo gets a fourth dub for sheer irony Laughing .
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:10 pm Reply with quote
And yet we still don't have a legal streaming service for the original series... unless something has changed recently.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
Sucks that this got dumped to a Miami studio instead of any attempt to get at least some of FUNi’s cast back, but on the bright side, maybe the Miami talent will get better at dubbing anime the more experience they get? *shrug*
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:36 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I hope and pray they get redubbed. I understand if getting the Funimation cast again is asking too much (it seems Anno is weirdly stubborn about the poor reception of 3.0's first dub even though the Funimation dub of the Rebuild films are the best that Eva has ever sounded in English, but it's best to look at what could happen in the future.

A redub of the whole series with the Amazon Prime cast COULD work. They honestly just need to spend a few weeks on each film and make sure the emotion is there. I don't even care that Anno prefers strangely literal translations over a loose but effective script. It COULD work if you have the right vocal talent and direction.
I'm not talking about the voice actors' performances. I'm talking about things like missing audio errors that they can easily fix without having to do a full redub. They are not going to do a full third dub of the movies.

Quote:
I wasn't aware the English dub for Rebuild 4 had problems. I haven't seen the Neutral Spanish version but many fans here were disappointed that Amazon dubbed the movie, as well as redubbing the previous Rebuild movies, in Argentina instead of Mexico where all of the Eva projects were dubbed.
The big issue I remember them having was things like the dub missing character screams in scenes where they existed in the Japanese version.

Quote:
I wasn't aware the English dub for Rebuild 4 had problems. I haven't seen the Neutral Spanish version but many fans here were disappointed that Amazon dubbed the movie, as well as redubbing the previous Rebuild movies, in Argentina instead of Mexico where all of the Eva projects were dubbed.
I don't know why they went with the Dubbing Brothers when it seems like outside of the Rebuild movies they don't have any experience in dubbing anime in English and seem to actually be a primarily French dubbing company. Though I know they did some non-anime English dubs like the international dub of the first Winx Club movie. And that dub was actually pretty good.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
^Dubbing Brothers are the ones who worked on Miraculous Ladybug and ignoring the money issues that seem to have been resolved, that dub was fine.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw this news, I clapped out of delight because it's been a while since North America has gotten a modern English dub of anything related to the Shin-chan anime series. And it's also such a treat that seasons 2-4 of Shin-chan Spin-off are finally available outside of Japan after a few years of those seasons being Japan-exclusive.

RommieSG wrote:
And yet we still don't have a legal streaming service for the original series... unless something has changed recently.

So far, nothing has changed recently. However, it's possible that the original series will make its way onto an English-language streaming service someday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2