• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Netflix to Add Low-Cost Streaming Tier With Ads by Year's End

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
You know, piracy doesn't sound bad after all.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Password sharing will never die.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, I guess I can put up with that, so long as they don't cancel all their good shows after two seasons and don't gut their entire animation department because their CEO thinks the best cartoon ever made is Boss Baby.

Did you guys catch my sarcasm?
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
In completely unrelated news, Netflix shares have plummeted by 50% over the last month.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It's almost admirable how they're doubling down on things that nobody seems to actually want.
Uchay

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
...y'know, I might as well cancel my sub if they "crack down" on password sharing. The only reason I still maintain it is because of my brother's family, who lives in another state, enjoying their originals, and the fact my little niece loves the kid's channel. I don't watch it that often myself anyway.

They share with me their amazon sub, so I guess I could go with Disney + instead of netflix, or just sub to amazon myself instead, idk.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder how they're going to do this crack down. I'm paying for multiple simultaneous streams. If they're planning on checking to see if I'm using it from two different physical locations at once and penalizing me for connecting from another network while someone uses it at home, I'm just going to cancel and never go back.

If somehow the price increase on their still enormous subscriber base isn't raking in huge profits, maybe they should be looking for ways to cut costs or improve content. Seems crazy to expect a crackdown on sharing to lead to all of the people sharing paying for their own sub instead.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
It's almost admirable how they're doubling down on things that nobody seems to actually want.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I also hope that One Piece adaptation and the terrible Resident Evil one makes them lose more subscribers.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Password sharing will never die.

If it does that’s half of r/choosing beggars right there.

The Not so Chosen One wrote:

I also hope that One Piece adaptation and the terrible Resident Evil one makes them lose more subscribers.

Considering no one subscribed to Netflix to watch either I don’t know how that would impact their subscriber numbers.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:29 am Reply with quote
I'm in the minority who wouldn't particularly care as long as the cost is, in fact, low and the ads are not intrusive (eg. they don't disrupt an episode or something) and not political in nature. Hoooooowever they'd better offer at least HD quality, because the whole thing with the current lowest tier being SD only, in the year of our Lord 2022 when even low-end devices can handle HD, is absolutely ridiculous and is the reason why I eventually cancelled my subscription.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:40 am Reply with quote
This is a line in the sand for a LOT of viewers. Mostly because once ads are introduced, the price will inevitably go up a lot to be free of them. Not to mention a lack of ads was Netflix's clear advantage over cable and Hulu, and here they are, putting them in.

Hollywood Reporter has recently found out Netflix released a memo saying, and I quote "spend our customer's money wisely". Had they stuck to that earlier, they might not be here. You hear the horror stories about things like Bebop having a self appointed political correctness editor which resulted in that series being the mess it was that got canceled after three weeks, and think, "maybe this was avoidable."

The real shame of it all is that I do believe that Netflix offers something a lot of other streaming services don't. It's not subservient to specific IP cash cows (Disney doesn't want to know you exist if you can't produce Marvel money, Paramount is basing their entire strategy around Star Trek and the few franchises they have that are names), it isn't subject to censorship which has allowed it to resurrect titles that otherwise could only exist in the mostly extinct OVA market (Toonami), and isn't such a niche service that it will only attract hardcore fans of the anime medium (Crunchyroll). But it's clear right now Netflix is on the back foot and their decisions to find programs that will bring back viewers aren't helping.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 am Reply with quote
I only password share within my household so whatever, but considering Netflix' suidden 180 on the topic, I have a sneaking suspicion there was some pushback against it as 'lost revenue' by show licensors
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:47 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The One Piece one may be their only possible saving grace, and that's while we don't really see anything significant about it just yet, the potential is huge nonetheless (both for a massive failure and a massive success).
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not terribly bothered by a super cheap ad version so long as the ad-free higher tier continues to exist, but as most have said the issue is with their poor handling of their shows. They blow way too much money on crap, cancel their series too soon, and clearly have no idea what their audience wants. For how much they spent on the dud Red Notice they could have made 8 more Queen's Gambits.

We also thought their foray into making anime was going to "save" the industry, but all we got was a very small handful of good shows and a lot of the worst garbage I've ever seen. Remember 7Seeds? I do, unfortunately.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:26 am Reply with quote
I rarely if ever use my Netflix account, I have other family members who are the heavy users. If this becomes an issue, then bye bye Netflix. No loss IMO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2