• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Gets New Live-Action Series at Apple by J.J. Abrams

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Is the live action Your Name officially canceled? Wasn't JJ Abrams supposed to do that next?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
his last good movie was Super 8, in 2011. My expectations are low
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
My doubts about this occurring aside, this was announced around an hour after WarnerMedia Discovery publicly announced they were losing patience with Abrams giving them a Justice League Dark adaptation.

Maybe he shouldn’t be announcing new projects before finishing the ones he’s obligated to complete.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I can't see Abrams delivering a live-action Speed Racer better than the Wachowski's.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Is the live action Your Name officially canceled? Wasn't JJ Abrams supposed to do that next?

No, Your Name live action is being done by Marc Webb, the guy who did The Amazing Spiderman duology, and that is still happening
chudmaru

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I can't see Abrams delivering a live-action Speed Racer better than the Wachowski's.

That old live-action movie wasn't anything like the anime. Not to say J.J Abrams is going to be more faithful, but I don't really see the old movie as some kind of standard to emulate. It's pretty much unlikely an American production will make a faithful Mach Go Go Go adaption. Setting a series in 1960s Japan is a lot to ask for. If it's anything like Abram's Star Trek movies it'll be all flashy and full of action and miss the point of the original.
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:25 pm Reply with quote
People talking like Abrams is the showrunner here, he's an exec producer which basically means nothing. Anyway this will never top that Dexter's Laboratory episode that parodies Speed Racer perfectly.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

No, Your Name live action is being done by Marc Webb, the guy who did The Amazing Spiderman duology, and that is still happening
Marc Webb left the production for live action Your Name in 2020 and was replaced by Lee Isaac Chung until Chung also left the production in 2021 and as of now there is no director attached to Your Name.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Man, I used to watch a lot of Speed Racer (or Meteoro as we call him in Latin America) in the late 90s. The movie by the Wachowskis was pretty good, but I didn't remember the original anime being that wacky and colorful, I also watched the 90s anime but it wasn't that good. I can't imagine a live-action series, I'd love to see an animated show done in a 60s style but with better animation and voice acting (I know Speed Racer's English voice acting is a reason why the show is remembered but
that wasn't the case in most foreign dubs)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I will accept this only if it results in an eventual Fast and the Furious/Speed Racer crossover film.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
My doubts about this occurring aside, this was announced around an hour after WarnerMedia Discovery publicly announced they were losing patience with Abrams giving them a Justice League Dark adaptation.

Maybe he shouldn’t be announcing new projects before finishing the ones he’s obligated to complete.

Maybe Warner-Discovery should remember how poorly Justice League did and pull the plug just like they did on the Wonder Twins series.

chudmaru wrote:
If it's anything like Abram's Star Trek movies it'll be all flashy and full of action and miss the point of the original.

What was the point of the original Star Trek besides let’s make a sci-fi show on the cheap?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I was excited until I got to the JJ Abrams part.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Still won't be enough to get me to subscribe to AppleTV+. If I haven't done it for Peanuts, I'm not doing it for Speed Racer.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:04 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Man, I used to watch a lot of Speed Racer (or Meteoro as we call him in Latin America) in the late 90s. The movie by the Wachowskis was pretty good, but I didn't remember the original anime being that wacky and colorful, I also watched the 90s anime but it wasn't that good. I can't imagine a live-action series, I'd love to see an animated show done in a 60s style but with better animation and voice acting (I know Speed Racer's English voice acting is a reason why the show is remembered but
that wasn't the case in most foreign dubs)

I haven't seen the movie since it first came out so the only thing I really remember was the weird editing, special effects, and bizarre camera angles that made it more like Adam West Batman with a splash of Dick Tracy, neither of which was really in the original series. The thing about the show was it wasn't just racing. It also also part Johnny Quest where they'd go around the world getting involved in shenanigans like foiling assassination plots and helping a rebel army overthrow a kingdom or stopping mad scientists from making monsters to take over the world. Most of the humor came from Kurio and Sanpei who acted basically like Shaggy and Scooby Doo during the episodes getting into trouble. But like you said most people's memories of it are due to the very cheesy English dub. A TV series would be a better fit the globetrotting adventures aspect of the series, though.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'd like to know who thought a live-action TV series of "Speed Racer" was a good idea. There seems to be no real need for it and it might not last long. Why are they doing this? It would be a better idea to let the Japanese do an anime version of "Ninja Warrior." The world would be better off if "Speed Racer" stayed in the realm of animation. It works better that way.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Thu May 26, 2022 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2