• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANN Aftershow - Is Fruits Basket -prelude- Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moony_badger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Fruits Basket is one of my favorite manga of all time and that age gap romance is by far my least favorite aspect. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was hoping they would at spoiler[least push Kyoko's age up a bit from being a middle schooler when she meets Katsuya.] If anything, it makes me glad that Kyoko's story is it's own special separate from the show so people can choose if they want to engage with that aspect of it or not. Kyoko's such a good character though, that I'm not too inclinded to hold the teacher/student thing against the material;spoiler[ also because Katsuya dies so young that I can mostly ignore him lol, and she goes on to be very happy for the rest of her life with Tohru.] I also wish they had expanded on her time in the gang more, that's disappointing! The show did such a good job with Uotani's time in her gang that I would have liked to see that done with Kyoko as well.

And Lynzee, if it makes you feel any better spoiler[while Uotani does end up with a guy like ten years older then her, the goth girl Hanajima's interest in the older Sohma is mostly just played as a joke and they never actually get together.]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
None of us said that should happen. It was floated as an option, it was not demanded, stated that it should have happened, or anything like that. The option wasn't suggested out of "moral panic."

We also discussed the reasoning behind this fantasy and I included that the movie might be more difficult to watch if, like myself, you have real-life experience that is similar to the events that take place here.

Like with Made in Abyss, there were no judgments made about individuals who like this trope or type of fiction. Attempts to take this off the rails like last week won't be tolerated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tomoko99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Furuba made it to the top of the streaming charts anyway. POC centered shows/movies for women, Furuba or otherwise, do not need white approval to thrive. Their loss. We eating good this summer. <3
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
... neither Jacki nor James is white. Also this film isn't streaming (yet? )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:11 am Reply with quote
Troll post removed, along with responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
... neither Jacki nor James is white. Also this film isn't streaming (yet? )

I think tomoko was only talking about the TV show streams.

Anyway, glad they didn't change the story. But AMC is really dragging their feet about showtimes....but every source I'm looking at says "Opens Saturday" Other dates read "28 and 29".

[bangs fist on table] I NEED DETAILS PLEASE!!!

Sigh. I being dragged to the Elvis movie tomorrow so if Fandango doesn't let me know by then I will ask the theater directly. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1