• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Macross Frontier: The Wings of Farewell

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Call me an oddball, but I do unironically appreciate seeing an A-grade review for a movie I dislike as much as Wings of Farewell.

The complete rewrite of Frontier's final conflict and its relation to its central characters is probably better on its own than viewed next to the TV series. I know TV series Ranka is controversial, but spoiler[leaving the Frontier and "siding" with the Vajra, even after Mikhail's death,] felt like a much stronger statement of the overall Macross thesis (well, a thesis, anyway) than we got in the movies. I've heard that her choices weren't received nearly as well in Japan, but this is all hearsay from over a decade ago, so who really knows anymore?

Ranka did get some good concerts out of it, but the cynic in me notes that they only happened spoiler[because taking the time to write around them like in the TV series would have actually resulted in more Ranka screentime. Basically every event instigated by Ranka is now Sheryl's in some way (down to Brera's whole existence, really), and she's left feeling like a satellite in the cosmic love story of Sheryl and Alto.] This doesn't mean I dislike movie!Sheryl (she's better here), I just have a bit of a longstanding Ranka bias. Laughing To use a dating sim analogy, spoiler[I guess I see the TV series as the "Ranka route," and the movie series as the "Sheryl route."]

"Sayonara no Tsubasa" is unquestionably a banger, though, and the movie duology is worth it even just for that.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
Just got back from seeing it at my local theater and while I've had the japanese blurays of both movies for years and have watched them at least a few times each it really rocked (literally and empirically) to see it on a BIG screen. I do like the ending of the 2nd movie better than the first because of what happened to Alto and Sheryl-it just seemed more dramatic and had a sense of utter finality.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
Saw the movie earlier tonight, and now I have to go dig up my old fansubs to compare since it did feel like I was watching something markedly different than what I vaguely remembered, and I'm not totally convinced all the changes are for the better. (The scene with Macross using the re-entry shield was damn cool, though!) I'll absolutely agree that the changes worked fine to make for a more coherent and properly-paced effort as a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
As much as I liked the two films, I still prefer the original TV series continuity. Even after all these years, Frontier is most definitely my favorite after the original TV series.

One of the things that I really enjoyed about Frontier is its direct connection to Macross Zero. One thing of particular note is that in the Bluray remaster of Macross Zero, Sheryl's earrings were retconned in to show that they were family heirlooms. You can also see some Mayan Island cultural imagery during Sherly's concert at the opening of the second film.
notcurlybrace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:51 pm Reply with quote
the surfing macross automatically made this movie a 10/10 regardless of what anybody says
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:06 am Reply with quote
Hey-surfs up man!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1