• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blade Runners

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear you're enjoying Hell Girl Bamboo! The next volume has, in my opinion, the best episode of the first season on it. All of the ones on volume 4 are awesome though. (Not that volume 3 isn't good. Glad you liked Purgatory Girl too! Getting to see how Ai deals with her clients when it's time to collect is fascinating.)

I have to say though that unless Funimation licenses the second season, you're not going to get a lot with Ai's helper's back stories. For the record, they are loyal to Ai specifically rather than her mission.

Is Galaxy Railways complete in R1?

Witchblade is a guilty pleasure funfest for me. I think having a realtively decent working knowledge of the basics of the series' universe (I read some of the comics and I watched the live-action series) helps to make the anime a little more understandable in places.

Sometimes though the best thing is to just sit back and let the show wash over you, not expecting anything specific.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Is Galaxy Railways complete in R1?

Yes, except for the unlicensed second series and OVA's. Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Yes, except for the unlicensed second series and OVA's. Wink
Hm, yes, quite complete then.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
It's worth mentioning that the artbox for Galaxy Railways is really nice -- probably one of the nicer artboxes I own. While the Viridian Collection releases are very affordable, this is one series where you can get the artbox for just a few bucks more.

For example, it's available here at DeepDiscount for less than $7 more than the Viridian set.

Richard, I know that you in particular like to collect the nice artboxes, so if you are thinking about picking up Galaxy Railways please at least check it out before springing for the Viridian Collection.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To further the randomness of it all, here's an awesome picture I drew in class the other day.

It's good to see all that capsule figure money going to a good cause.

Glad to see another notch in the alphabateizer column, though the first set needs a follow-up as well since the auto-focus kinda messed with the back row titles.

It is troubling though that Bamboo let a Viridian slip from the Miscellaneous section up into Shelf Worthy. Somebody should send a box of plastic to remind her of where her loyalties belong. If that doesn't work, we move to bubble-wrap ... let's see the econauts try to replace those!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

It is troubling though that Bamboo let a Viridian slip from the Miscellaneous section up into Shelf Worthy. Somebody should send a box of plastic to remind her of where her loyalties belong. If that doesn't work, we move to bubble-wrap ... let's see the econauts try to replace those!

See, last week, someone reminded me that I've been inconsistent with they way I ranked boxsets. From now on, I'll probably put them into the regular categories, and then save the miscellaneous pile for live-action stuff, or weird oddities.
Basroil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
As in Mr. Burch's collection and many others we've seen, why in the hell do people buy the collection boxes and then put them on the shelf spine in? Why, why, why???
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
Hello! Smile

You know I wonder why people put their art boxes with the spine out. I can only guess that they may want to get to the DVDs inside with greater ease. I prefer to have the spine out.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote
You know, I never really thought about why I have my boxes positioned with the spine hidden. Accessibility was probably the main point. If I ever take pictures of my collection, I may turn them around first. It would be quite an undertaking though.

The Galaxy Railways is one of my favorite series. I'm glad to see it get the viridian treatment. I do, however, recommend getting the original artbox because it has some really great pictures on, and in it.

I'm also enjoying Witchblade and Hellgirl. I especially love the ED song of HG sung by Mamiko Noto. It's so dreamy. I think it should be a contender in Theron's end of the year awards. What do you think, Theron?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
Basroil wrote:
As in Mr. Burch's collection and many others we've seen, why in the hell do people buy the collection boxes and then put them on the shelf spine in? Why, why, why???

Because otherwise it's too hard to get to the discs, not to mention the best art is on the sides of the box, not the back- in fact, many just have a title on the spine and no art. If you want to get technical, there is no real good way to display artboxes.

(My DVDs are face-forward in rows on pull-out shelves, so I don't get a choice between spine in or out. Laughing )
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
Basroil wrote:

In my case, I put the artboxes on my shelf spin-in as an indicator that I've finished watching the series. For series that I bought an artbox for that I'm currently watching (as in the case with AIR at my home), I have the box spine-out.

Plus the artwork makes the shelves more attractive. Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I'm also enjoying Witchblade and Hellgirl. I especially love the ED song of HG sung by Mamiko Noto. It's so dreamy.
The ED for the second season is even better in my arrogant opinion. (Humility is for wimps. Wink )

Personally I can't imagine having an art box facing DVD spines out. I prefer the unity and simplicity of the art box spine out. Especially with series like Hell Girl where you have imagery of the characters.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Basroil wrote:

In my case, I put the artboxes on my shelf spin-in as an indicator that I've finished watching the series. For series that I bought an artbox for that I'm currently watching (as in the case with AIR at my home), I have the box spine-out.

Plus the artwork makes the shelves more attractive. Wink
I often have them spine in for photo purposes, that way I don't get accused of "only has one DVD but trying to make it appear like a complete series" deception.

As for the lack of Perishables...well, the last volume of Magikano is only a month away Shocked
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Being the Matsumoto pimp I am, I can't encourage people enough to pick up Galaxy Railways. I just wish Funi would take a chance on the second season!

Also being a lifelong western comics fan, I have been enjoying Witchblade, although I have admittedly been watching its run on IFC (gotta support the stations with the guts to give anime a shot!). Once the final volume comes out on DVD, I may do a marathon rental session via Netflix!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I personally like tio store my art boxes sideways so the nice art on the side is displayed. In the even the particular box is in a position where I can't I tend to store mine with the spine facing out to show some art. I used to do spine in but after bumping into my dvd towers repeatedly and having the discs fall out I rethought that decision hehe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3