• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Overlord Light Novels End in 2 Volumes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, isn't the author ending the series prematurely due to piracy, and not because the publisher decided to cancel it or because the series has reached its natural conclusion? Because from what little I remember, the story is far from actually being over or reaching a conclusion that actually makes sense as the end of the story. But the author is ending it on a personal whim because of pirates.
rmtwashere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
If I recall correctly, isn't the author ending the series prematurely due to piracy, and not because the publisher decided to cancel it or because the series has reached its natural conclusion? Because from what little I remember, the story is far from actually being over or reaching a conclusion that actually makes sense as the end of the story. But the author is ending it on a personal whim because of pirates.

No... The official term the author always mentioned was that he ended the series cause he was really burned out. Well the series was like 10 years old not including the web novel
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

Nah, that (and the burnout, addressed in the same tweet) was him being cynical in a tweet and saying that he would cut off one volume, replying to someone linking him a reddit post containing the english fan-translation of a Japanese BD exclusive mini-chapter. But before that even happened, he had already said the main story was around 20 volumes in his head more or less (later totalized as 18), and that he may have 50 volumes of material in case people really just want him to keep writing about it.

So he said in that tweet the total went down to 17 "for now". Now we are back to 18 (potentially 20, considering he keeps splitting arcs into two volumes for being too big).

Last edited by danpmss on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SwimSwim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn i remember him saying he could write 30 or 40 volumes but he must really be burned out Rolling Eyes
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
You repeated this last time.

Like this is new.

Im willing to bet when the next volume comes your going to say, it will end 1 volume, we get it already.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nah, that (and the burnout, addressed in the same tweet) was him being cynical in a tweet and saying that he would cut off one volume, replying to someone linking him a reddit post containing the english fan-translation of a Japanese BD exclusive mini-chapter.

Maybe Im just being mean, but I find it kinda bizarre that he gets mad about an English Fan translation of the chapter that English speakers were never gonna have any chance of getting. It would be one thing if it also came translated exclusive for people who bought the English Blu ray of Season 3, but the extra story was pretty much gatekept from anybody outside of Japan or those who knew how to read Japanese.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:
Nah, that (and the burnout, addressed in the same tweet) was him being cynical in a tweet and saying that he would cut off one volume, replying to someone linking him a reddit post containing the english fan-translation of a Japanese BD exclusive mini-chapter.

Maybe Im just being mean, but I find it kinda bizarre that he gets mad about an English Fan translation of the chapter that English speakers were never gonna have any chance of getting. It would be one thing if it also came translated exclusive for people who bought the English Blu ray of Season 3, but the extra story was pretty much gatekept from anybody outside of Japan or those who knew how to read Japanese.

I personally don't disagree either, if that makes him so mad, take the issue to the producer committee and ask them to include a translation for BD volumes overseas.

No reason to be mad about money you would never have had from them anyway, as it's from a given extra material that few of his fans outside Japan would be able to read at all.

Either that or make a compillation extra volume with extra stories released over the years, like Haruhi did.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
All the more reason to enjoy ALbedo as much as you can.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:09 am Reply with quote
At the very least, the author needs to give the Slane Theocracy the beat down it royally deserves.

I mean, they figured prominently in the first season, they teased us about how strong they were, all the artifacts they had, and their 'super' breeding program. The Slane Theocracy seems to be the natural enemy for the Tomb of Nazarick's denizens.

And yet, it is like they don't exist. Been beating up on small fry, including the Empire for awhile now.

So we don't get to work on those 500 year old players yet, but lets do a bit of violence on the Slane Theocracy for an ending.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:53 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
At the very least, the author needs to give the Slane Theocracy the beat down it royally deserves.

I mean, they figured prominently in the first season, they teased us about how strong they were, all the artifacts they had, and their 'super' breeding program. The Slane Theocracy seems to be the natural enemy for the Tomb of Nazarick's denizens.

And yet, it is like they don't exist. Been beating up on small fry, including the Empire for awhile now.

So we don't get to work on those 500 year old players yet, but lets do a bit of violence on the Slane Theocracy for an ending.

You will be very spoiler[pleased with the direction the story took by the end of volume 16 then.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
@danpmss

That is good to hear. Thanks.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

Nah, that (and the burnout, addressed in the same tweet) ----
So he said in that tweet the total went down to 17 "for now". Now we are back to 18 (potentially 20, considering he keeps splitting arcs into two volumes for being too big).

^ this

Volumes 12 & 13, now 15 & 16...

(He could take a page from Horizon in the 'Middle of Nowhere'-That sucker is "only" 11 volumes)
(( each volume consisting of sub volumes A,B and or C ))
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:15 am Reply with quote
All the old drama but here I am and I am just thinking: "Why does he have hips shaped like that?".
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the anime will cover the entire manga.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I wonder if the anime will cover the entire manga.

Light Novel (as the manga is years behind the anime).

Given that they're adapting volume 14 this season,with the upcoming movie adapting vols 12 & 13 ... yes Season 5 could cover the last(supposed) four volumes.
(But there's the ironclad Rule of Three when comes to LN adaptations...)
((but volumes 15 & 16 truly are a single volume split in twain))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2