• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yurei Deco

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
James, if you haven't seen it, I hope you have time to check out Science Saru's somewhat-overlooked masterpiece Kaiba, which is the first thing that comes to my mind when watching You-0 Deco (I'm so happy Kaiba got licensed and is being distributed by Discotek).

The images and events in these first three episodes have a lot of interesting implications, I'm looking forward to where this team goes with them.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:00 am Reply with quote
I am looking forward to this one. In a season where there is too few good anime, this seems like it will be good.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep4- From what I remember of Tom Sawyer, the show isn't following a complete analog of the original. My impression is that the author just built this story on the framework of the Mark Twain story characters for convenience and that's where it ends. The augmented-reality base builds a completely different and interesting story of it's own.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:39 pm Reply with quote
To be clear, the museum isn't full of extinct animals it just also features extinct animals alongside animals who still exist in the present. The island itself is mostly absent of real animals.

As for the professor, he prides himself on only featuring animals that are real and accurately represented. When he found the book he fell in love with the animals in it and thought that since it stated people had seen them that would be enough for them to qualify for the museum.

He later admits that he knew they probably didn't exist since he only had one source of information on them but he clearly loved the idea of them and had hoped people wouldn't look too deeply into it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:33 pm Reply with quote
With the reveals in Ep6, I'd say were are at a turning point in the story wherein we will follow
and expose some of the mysteries of this made-up world (and Hack). Much more interesting than the Mark Twain story references...

Ep7-What we can tell you now...clues point to the existence of a flying/floating facility called Mark Twain above Tom Sawyer (Island) visible lower left of the sun at 0:24 and 22:07 from which "Glitchy-Witchy" operates and may be a secret arm of Customer Service. However, the "witch" is likely to be a rogue AI and it looks likely that the whole city and CS is an experiment with AI on how to control human society. Dang if that doesn't look like Laputa too...

That feather was an obvious circuit card and bears similarity to the design of microwave "patch antennas" (I know) so maybe the Peacock is an intelligence gathering or wireless channel data monitoring device with an AI? Analytica had one at the side of his cranium so it's likely it's an RF antenna. If so, GW could be a tool with nefarious intent or simply an AI misunderstanding how to implement it's function. If I were an AI set to gather "important" data from the user RF AR data streams, all the "love" nonsense data would get well in the way of doing that and deleting all that data "noise" would make the job a lot easer and more successful. Also a reason why it only operates in the Hyperverse of extended data structures and why it might be a mystery to CS, it doesn't report that activity and they only see the aftermath in concerned user inquiries. But it is unlikely that nobody knows and who do aren't talking for obvious reasons...

BTW, I wonder if the mascot design isn't a veiled reference to NBC? Also, also, could Watson be an AI like the ramen shop owner possibly as a reference to the IBM AI and why he doesn't talk, wears the Cat head and is interested in rumors? Very interesting...

Ep8-Well dang, this show is getting ZERO love! The Forums show ZERO comments and even Vermeil, which isn't being reviewed which is death for comments, has a few. What, did the Zero-Gation (Zero-Phenomenon) hit ANN?? And just when this show is getting Lovey with interesting developments! It seems MT/Laputa may be a totally automated facility if it sends capsules of data to earth on occasion for CS. Or was MT/L the intended recipient and a problem caused it to miss this time? The kinetic energy evident from catching it seems likely for an orbital object and not enough if from ~10km altitude. BTW, IRL studies and demos show high volumes of data are more quickly and securely transported with physical data cards, so that capsule must have a sh*t-ton of info.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with James' review of episode eight -- You 0 Deco seems like it has a lot of the ingredients, but it's consistently being just sort of unengaging.

I am curious where it's going, but so far I just haven't felt engaged to speculate for some reason.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The show spent way too many episodes just setting up the actual basic premise, and is paying for it in the latter half. A good example of why not every story like this needs a fish-out-of-water protagonist that you need to maneuver around multiple episodes just to get them up to speed and where they need to be.
FuzzyDave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
James' writeup is exactly how I feel about this show. I want so much to love it but it keeps holding me at arms length. It really does have all the elements that should make for a 10/10, but they just don't gel. Sigh. Maybe the second half will soar
olgita

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:04 am Reply with quote
Hack, Berry, Finn... I just got it. Gosh I'm stupid Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:40 am Reply with quote
FuzzyDave wrote:
James' writeup is exactly how I feel about this show. I want so much to love it but it keeps holding me at arms length. It really does have all the elements that should make for a 10/10, but they just don't gel.

And this is exactly how I feel too. It bugs me that I can't figure out why I don't connect with it. Well, I suppose a big factor is that I really don't like Berry. She's too something, but again, not sure what I specifically don't like about her. Maybe she seems too superficial or random? I do like Finn a lot, and Hack is ok. No one else even registers with me. I can't even warm up to the little bots, which should be a free pass. Like, the one that looks like an actual dog is just hideous and makes me want to euthanize it for its own sake.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Ep12- Welp, I think I can say this show has officially flopped when a majority of viewers can't relate or don't like it and those like me (possibly the only person here who really started liking it) are disappointed by the last couple of episodes, it leaves no one at all to give it Love...

Ep10 was definitely the highlight, looked like the show going to end strong but unlike the little quad-copters who could and who didn't let their passengers plunge 10000 ft to Berry's "real heaven", the show nose-dived to the ground of a contrived and supposedly thoughtful end. I don't even know what the "and they lived happily ever after" ending was supposed to be but the crash and burn. I think Listeners and this effort should show Mr. Sato that being a head writer isn't his strength. He needs some other people to bounce ideas off of at least.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
All I could think of as episode twelve wound down was Neo's encounters with The Architect.

All in all, if this series hadn't been done by Science Saru, I doubt I would have finished it.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
What the hell was that?

They didn't explain anything and everything got resolved without anything actually happening.

The show was fun enough but I have no clue what they were trying to do at the end. You can't reveal a character we've never met before and just pretend that is a satisfying conclusion.

I also love how the only change is they no longer hide what's bad but they still tell you what is bad. I guess that's better but you're still kinda throwing free will out the window there.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
What the hell was that?

They didn't explain anything and everything got resolved without anything actually happening.

The show was fun enough but I have no clue what they were trying to do at the end. You can't reveal a character we've never met before and just pretend that is a satisfying conclusion.

Their society was ok, actually. They just needed a new shadow leader to make their system not hide the truth and everything turned out great! /s

Ugh, what a letdown.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:42 am Reply with quote
Today’s lesson dai sato is a hack
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2