• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KanColle Season 2 Anime's 4th Episode Delayed to December 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
God damn, ENGI really can now compete with themselves as the most disastrous modern animation studio at this point.

Remember: KanColle S2 was in production for 7 years and was supposed to be their first project since its creation in 2018, and the trailers were there for actual years since its announcement.

Now they not only reduced the number of episodes to 2/3 because they totally screwed up delivering a whole season, just released the episode that got literally ZERO quality check with poorly drawn animation, missing hair, broken skybox and bad perspective shots - and now they delayed the next episodes straight in the middle of the run.

You gotta be kiddin' me at this point with how screwed the production of this anime is.
RobbiRobb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm worried about the future of this show. For years it had been sitting on my list of upcoming sequels and when they announced they were reducing the number of episodes to "heighten the quality" I was slightly optimistic that this could be enjoyable, even if it wouldn't be the highlight of the season. But so far it's been quite disappointing, the higher quality wasn't really noticable and the darker tone of the story doesn't really work that well because every time someone gets shot and is on the brink of death I remember they are girls dressed up as ships battling some kind of alien - it's not bad, but hard to take seriously. And finally there is the animation quality which is especially bad this season.

Which makes me wonder, what have they done all this time? The show was announced seven years ago, they probably haven't produced the anime for all that time, but should have started at some point that hopefully wasn't one week before the show started airing on TV. I'm by no means an expert on how anime is produced, but I'm guessing even if they just started producing this year - which I sincerely hope they didn't - they should have been able to at least produce more than three episodes, right? Also, really, they are already having production issues after only 3 out of the planned 8 episodes, with a three week delay? This paints a dark picture for the future of this show. I really hope they can get the rest of the episodes out without too many problems. Would be a shame if we waited seven years for a show that is completely falling apart.

Also, it seems like parts of the news intro was lost somewhere, or at least that's what it seems to me. It doesn't sound like a full sentence which it usually is.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
RobbiRobb wrote:
Which makes me wonder, what have they done all this time? The show was announced seven years ago, they probably haven't produced the anime for all that time, but should have started at some point that hopefully wasn't one week before the show started airing on TV.
At this point with how poor quality control of the last episode was, I will not be even surprised that they actually did finish the recent episode in the very last minutes before it actually runs on TV - it was not just bad, there were things that scream that they certainly have issues with just an even simple look at that, and it ain't the first time we saw ENGI doing a very poor job with the animation — that was the thing since Detective is Already Dead. It's not even half-assed to just call ENGI an established sweatshop for Kadokawa to make a cheap half-assed series when most of the studios just can't keep up with their demands with the time schedule and the amount of work.

Then also comes the fact that ENGI actually does three TV shows this season (Uzaki-chan S2, Novice Alchemist and KC Season 2), so it's easy to think that the pressure of animating multiple shows crumbled the studio's capabilities - but again, the KC Season 2 was literally years in the making while production started even before the studio was established in the first place — and they made the trailers for it years ago, which shown on the local KC festivals, so it's really hard to believe that they did the job of animating season 2 in the very last minutes. But now it probably is the best answer to all that happens right now with the show — and unironically Diomedea, which animated the first season of KC, was in the same position of having three shows at the same time, but without any delays. So yeah, how much of a lie to the fans and the actual mess now is a production of KC Season 2 is probably will be history for generations of animation studios.

One can wonder how absolutely mistreating Kadokawa was with one of the most known of their franchises even despite KanColle is far out of its prime nowadays - but here we are.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
God damn, ENGI really can now compete with themselves as the most disastrous modern animation studio at this point.

Remember: KanColle S2 was in production for 7 years and was supposed to be their first project since its creation in 2018, and the trailers were there for actual years since its announcement.

Now they not only reduced the number of episodes to 2/3 because they totally screwed up delivering a whole season, just released the episode that got literally ZERO quality check with poorly drawn animation, missing hair, broken skybox and bad perspective shots - and now they delayed the next episodes straight in the middle of the run.

You gotta be kiddin' me at this point with how screwed the production of this anime is.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Even other incredibly awful productions like RWBY: Ice Queendom and One Punch Man Season 2 manage to somewhat salvage themselves because of people like Hiroto Nagata and Kenichiro Aoki, but this one is just.... oof.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

Anime quality has been dumpster fire for nearly a decade. As with all media, and industries in general; more product, less costs, tighter deadlines, fewer people. Fans may complain, but general consumer of media does not. Anime is commodity with increasing demand home and abroad. More shows, shorter deadlines, diminishing revenue per show increasing funds never ending cycle.
The_Outsider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:18 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

...the KC Season 2 was literally years in the making while production started even before the studio was established in the first place — and they made the trailers for it years ago, which shown on the local KC festivals, so it's really hard to believe that they did the job of animating season 2 in the very last minutes.

The people who made the trailer might not even be involved with the project anymore, and it's not uncommon for things to get scrapped halfway during production and having to start over from scratch, judging by the quality so far, it's pretty much guaranteed whatever they had planned for the original release got binned in favor of a shorter, cheaper season, and that definitely wasn't being worked on for 7 years.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

Anime quality has been dumpster fire for nearly a decade.

That's funny, because some of the best animated series of all time have aired in the past 3 or so years
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:28 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

Kinda stupid to say this in a season with unusually high number of quality shows. Just say that ENGI is a terrible studio and that Kadokawa's push for their "40 anime per year" is biting them in their ass (i.e. Isekai Ojisan).
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Obvious that all the effort is going into Uzaki-chan because it looks even better than the first season.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am Reply with quote
RobbiRobb wrote:
unironically Diomedea, which animated the first season of KC, was in the same position of having three shows at the same time, but without any delays.

Technically they had four shows (including KC) under their plate at the time, but one of their shows (Unlimited Fafnir), was mostly outsourced to Studio Blanc. (8 out of 12 episodes).
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
RobbiRobb wrote:
Which makes me wonder, what have they done all this time? The show was announced seven years ago, they probably haven't produced the anime for all that time, but should have started at some point that hopefully wasn't one week before the show started airing on TV.
At this point with how poor quality control of the last episode was, I will not be even surprised that they actually did finish the recent episode in the very last minutes before it actually runs on TV - it was not just bad, there were things that scream that they certainly have issues with just an even simple look at that, and it ain't the first time we saw ENGI doing a very poor job with the animation — that was the thing since Detective is Already Dead. It's not even half-assed to just call ENGI an established sweatshop for Kadokawa to make a cheap half-assed series when most of the studios just can't keep up with their demands with the time schedule and the amount of work.

Then also comes the fact that ENGI actually does three TV shows this season (Uzaki-chan S2, Novice Alchemist and KC Season 2), so it's easy to think that the pressure of animating multiple shows crumbled the studio's capabilities - but again, the KC Season 2 was literally years in the making while production started even before the studio was established in the first place — and they made the trailers for it years ago, which shown on the local KC festivals, so it's really hard to believe that they did the job of animating season 2 in the very last minutes. But now it probably is the best answer to all that happens right now with the show — and unironically Diomedea, which animated the first season of KC, was in the same position of having three shows at the same time, but without any delays. So yeah, how much of a lie to the fans and the actual mess now is a production of KC Season 2 is probably will be history for generations of animation studios.

One can wonder how absolutely mistreating Kadokawa was with one of the most known of their franchises even despite KanColle is far out of its prime nowadays - but here we are.

>It's not even half-assed to just call ENGI an established sweatshop for Kadokawa to make a cheap half-assed series when most of the studios just can't keep up with their demands with the time schedule and the amount of work.

ENGI did produce half of the third season of date alive with J.C Staff because of how much tight schedule kadokawa provided.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

That's funny, because some of the best animated series of all time have aired in the past 3 or so years

Because they had either good circumstances behind them or better schedules that makes their staff not suffering to pull off episodes weekly which how the standard anime goes with a decent , average to a bad schedules.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

Those are usually the exception than the rule. They either have very good production schedules and managed to get most, if not all of their episodes done before release (Lycrois Recoil, Eizouken), put more focus on one project over another (MAPPA putting Chainsaw Man and JJK over Attack on Titan and most of their other shows) or just luck out by having good production teams (anything Trigger does).

Anime production, and to an extent, most animation production in general, has been going further down the toilet since the 2010s because of producers insisting they need to make money as they're now pandering to multiple crowds and not just their own domestic population. And unfortunately, that means more and more work for those studios hired by those producers. Which then leads to either studios inexperienced in production getting credits (see GIbiate for an example, as Studio Elle never did anything of that caliber before and it shows) or studios utterly incapable of managing more than a single project dealing with 2-3 at a time, (david production and the aforementioned ENGI).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1