• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Resident Evil: Vendetta Gets Resident Evil: Death Island CG Animated Sequel Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they're keeping the cast from Vendetta.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Not to complain about retaining the previous cast, but it shows what Jim Sterling once called "Revolving Door Vocal Chords", i.e. inconsistency with voice actors retaining their roles as characters in long running franchises.

Considering they cast the REmake 2 actors for the Netflix miniseries (set between 4 and 6), it can be excusable to be confused. In contrast, Capcom Japan stuck to their guns as to whom they wanted playing certain characters once they started to dub in Japanese, so you can count on consistency there.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
Not to complain about retaining the previous cast, but it shows what Jim Sterling once called "Revolving Door Vocal Chords", i.e. inconsistency with voice actors retaining their roles as characters in long running franchises.

Considering they cast the REmake 2 actors for the Netflix miniseries (set between 4 and 6), it can be excusable to be confused. In contrast, Capcom Japan stuck to their guns as to whom they wanted playing certain characters once they started to dub in Japanese, so you can count on consistency there.

Leon had a different Japanese voice-actor in Degeneration,but since Operation Raccoon City/Damnation/RE6,Toshiyuki Morikawa has been his voice in every appearance so far.
Chris,on the other hand,can't keep a single english VA for more than one appearance since RE6(Roger Craig Smith did come back for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite,but that was it...) to the point of being a running gag...
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
If comments I'm seeing aren't mistaken, I guess this might end up being the first time Leon and Jill have met on screen. Unless they both just kinda don't run into each other...
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
If comments I'm seeing aren't mistaken, I guess this might end up being the first time Leon and Jill have met on screen. Unless they both just kinda don't run into each other...
Well, yes - they never actually met even back in Racoon City.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ah, well, I should say, this movie may be the first time they're on screen together unless they both don't run into each other during this film. That would be kinda funny actually.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Ah, well, I should say, this movie may be the first time they're on screen together unless they both don't run into each other during this film. That would be kinda funny actually.

While a different continuity, they did meet in the live action Welcome to Raccoon City film from two years ago.

I can’t remember if they met in the Anderson films, but I’m not about to go back and check. I do remember they had Leon and Barry willingly work for Wesker (which is especially jarring given in the RE 4 game Leon shows contempt when he thinks Ada is working with Wesker), and then they kill off BARRY of all characters, just wow, just one of the most awful “adaptations” ever.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:52 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I can’t remember if they met in the Anderson films, but I’m not about to go back and check. I do remember they had Leon and Barry willingly work for Wesker (which is especially jarring given in the RE 4 game Leon shows contempt when he thinks Ada is working with Wesker), and then they kill off BARRY of all characters, just wow, just one of the most awful “adaptations” ever.
Yeah, they actually did it there too... but yeah, Anderson movie series plots are way out from being Resident Evil at that time anyway.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
A shame that Jill´s present-day return is wasted like this and she is destined to be turned into a damsel as all previous anime did the same with the women. Couple that with the return of Makoto Fukami as a writer and you will have another mess on your hands that the fanbase will be angry about and then forget after 2 days. I wonder how any of these anime make money? Let´s hope for some trashy Gun-fu at least.

The original sequel to Vendetta was supposed to be about Jill and Sheva going against the surviving villain Maria. Maria and Jill remain in this new draft. Even Chris and seemingly Rebecca return. And of course eternal anime protagonist Leon. This a rare continuation of a cliffhanger in this IP. You see Jill´s back in the prison (Alcatraz?) scene next to tropical vacation Chris in the present. The iconic brown hair bob look is used so there will be some line about her having to color her hair as it was permanently bleached in RE5. I bet that she is now stuck at age 32 till her death as that was how old she is in RE5´s flashback that ends with her infection. How marketable! The film is set in 2015 btw. RE VIII is set in 2021.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Evan Wu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:31 pm Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:

I assume it's all about budget. English fans are not as attached to voice actors as Japanese fans are and are seen as easier to replace so companies are more likely to recast if it can save them money. From Sonic the Hedgehog to Solid Snake no character seems to be treated as important enough that a voice change will impact anything in the American market. I'm personally more bothered by the use of Remake Jill's design being used.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1