• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Insomniacs After School

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:50 am Reply with quote
Like the reviewer, I could relate to the protagonists' issue with insomnia. The world runs on the clock and expects people to sleep at night and be available during the day, but some of us can't do that naturally, leading to restless nights and drowsy days. Sleep deprivation hinders the ability to do any task and makes getting through the day miserable.

I see potential here for a solid romantic story; two people who suffer from the same issue come together to bond and help each other. I hope the insomnia issue will continue to be explored, and not just used as a disposable gimmick.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:11 am Reply with quote
I like the character designs for this show. You usually don't see this kind of quality except for anime movies.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:19 am Reply with quote
What I find so refreshing about this show is how relatable and natural it feels. Like the leads feel like real people and act like it, yet are still so charming and likeable, and their relationship and how they interact with the world feels very organic.

Not to mention they just have so much natural chemistry with each other. This is just a great season for romance anime!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
Totally disagree with the blurb because I never for a second thought the show was misdirecting me into thinking that it was a supernatural story.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:38 pm Reply with quote
JohnRhogan wrote:
I like the character designs for this show. You usually don't see this kind of quality except for anime movies.

I'm genuinely confused on what the hell this is even supposed to mean. Far be it for me to say it looks bad, not even remotely so, but nothing about this even remotely screams "movie quality".
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:40 am Reply with quote
I am hoping for some more nighttime adventures similar to that one very moody vampire anime from a few seasons ago. You don't really see many anime exploring the world at night.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Totally disagree with the blurb because I never for a second thought the show was misdirecting me into thinking that it was a supernatural story.

I never thought it was until the ending of episode 2. But while I think of it as a ghost story, I don't think it's supernatural.
Well, there's the lettuce eating cat, that's odd.
And there's Isaki's story about the ghost becoming more complex and developed after it was found to be untrue.
And there's how she led him to her home... we didn't see her go in but that's not necessary, right?
And we don't know why she can't sleep but apparently, it's ok for her to stay out at night.

What's tripping me up: There's this novel called Ghost Story by Peter Straub which this series is passively or coincidently copying. The key scene is about an insomniac, pensively staring out a window, who thought she saw a ghost. "I saw a ghost", she said, standing by the window.
The main character later decided she said, "I am a ghost."
... and he later figured what she really said was "You are a ghost."

Also, no ghosts in that story, by the way.... no "ghost" ghosts anyway. The novel is really about storytelling and how stories change over time, the power they have over us and how they can keep us up at night. Also, all a coincidence.

So while some people see this as a light and breezy rom com, I'm waiting, uncertain as to what I'm watching and wondering why it makes my hackles rise.
moozooh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:12 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
What I find so refreshing about this show is how relatable and natural it feels. Like the leads feel like real people and act like it, yet are still so charming and likeable, and their relationship and how they interact with the world feels very organic.

Yes, exactly! It's a bafflingly rare thing to see in romance manga/anime considering romance is a genre entirely predicated on the quality of its principal pairing's interaction and innate charisma.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While a lot of the insight into getting the camera to work was surface-level, it was still accurate, so kudos to the author for knowing how to get all that stuff to work as intended.

It seemed "off but close enough" to me... But then, other than Comet NEOWISE, my last foray into astrophotography was fifteen years ago. (And I shot NEOWISE with some advanced techniques the anime probably won't, and shouldn't, get into.)

It's the camera that catches my eye... I can't quite figure what it is. From the lens, it's definitely Canon, maybe something in the xxD series? Definitely professional glass though.
(For the not camera folks, that red ring is found on Canon's high end lenses.) For a random gift, that's pretty spendy.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiromaru feels like a good addition to the cast...someone who comes off as stoic, is actually pretty dorky, and wouldn't feel out of place in Laidback Camp but has a lot to teach our leads about photography and appreciating the night sky.

(And she might have a thing for their sensei...?)
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:24 pm Reply with quote
It's astronomy, not astrology(which is about horoscopes and stuff) that the kids are doing. Wink
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:21 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
(And she might have a thing for their sensei...?)

She blushes when literally anyone gets close to her. Same happened with our two protagonists when they got too close. Girl's just awkward.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I really liked episode 1, but the show is losing me more and more each episode. I feel kinda of tricked. I was hoping for the adventures of our two lovebirds at night, but now we've got a club and a full episode of how to use a camera. Its fine i guess, but its starting to feel closer to a "Cute people do cute things" show than the more unique one I was hoping for at episode 1.
Also as someone with real sleep issues, they are just kind of ignoring iot, which frustrates me
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
I really liked episode 1, but the show is losing me more and more each episode. I feel kinda of tricked. I was hoping for the adventures of our two lovebirds at night, but now we've got a club and a full episode of how to use a camera. Its fine i guess, but its starting to feel closer to a "Cute people do cute things" show than the more unique one I was hoping for at episode 1.
Also as someone with real sleep issues, they are just kind of ignoring iot, which frustrates me

I do not mind the change, but it is indeed a bit different now from how it started. In episode 1 it felt like it might go the route of call of the night with exploring the night and what it offers. Now it feels more like Asteroid in Love, a slice of life club anime with learning how to run said club and get new members.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

You were not tricked.
They had to first establish the Astronomy Club to allow them to do exactly what you want to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5