• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Deceased Pro Wrestler Hana Kimura's Mother Criticizes Oshi no Ko Episode 6

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DokoMadeMo
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
As of the present, both the original article and the Yahoo! news article have apparently been removed. Both articles are still accessible through the Internet archive: here and here. It makes you wonder what led to the removal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:22 am Reply with quote
It should be noted that this kind of thing is a pretty unfortunate trend with reality tv, and that Hana's case was far from an isolated incident. I don't think Aka was trying to do a 1:1 reenactment of her situation, just certain details from it found it's way in, intentionally or otherwise, because it was such a recent incident at the time of writing.

That said, Hana's mother is fully justified in feeling the way she does, and someone at some point, whether it be Aka, his editor, Mengo (who I know for a fact was watching Terrace House at the time) or someone on the anime staff, should've reached out to her at some point before doing this. Hopefully that happens now that she's said all this.

I thought the episode itself was great on several levels, but how I feel about it frankly isn't relevant at this stage.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:25 am Reply with quote
Eh. She has the right to be mad but ultimately people can make their story however they want. To be blunt, she’ll just have deal.

I mean, y’all can say it in however nice way you want… but that’s ultimately what’s gonna happen. She has her right grieve, for sure. And it sucks this hits home to her. But… the show must go on.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:27 am Reply with quote
Back then when the manga reached this point i remember reading somewhere that Akane's story was a homage to her so i though her relatives were actually supporting this effort.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:30 am Reply with quote
DokoMadeMo wrote:
As of the present, both the original article and the Yahoo! news article have apparently been removed.... It makes you wonder what led to the removal.

Ironically, it's probably because fans of Oshi no Ko are attacking the interviewee online. facepalm

Quote:
In the Shūkan Josei Prime interview, Kimura states her wish to find a sort of middle ground where the truth is shared, but the victims are likewise respected. “I don't mean to blame the author or any specific individual. I just wonder if there was no one who gave it the proper consideration before releasing it out into the world. That's what makes me sad. Because it raises important issues, I would like to support a work like Oshi no Ko. However, I don't think it needs to be done in a way that makes people who have actually been victimized on social media suffer when they see it.”

Did the script of episode 6 resemble too closely the real-life event it was inspired by? Considering that the topic is about a person driven to death by cyber-bullying, I don't know how it could be portrayed without stirring up painful memories, even if the plot were made more abstract.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:32 am Reply with quote
It's like the neverending suicide jokes from Bungo Stray Dogs but here they made it serious?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
I feel for the poor lady but the result of giving the possibilities "due consideration" may not avoid her and others affected being reminded of that tragedy. If one is inspired to take the elements of a real incident to make a point to the audience as authentically as possible and with the desired impact, if one changes too many specifics one risks losing the connection to reality in the portrayal that creates impact and loses the point of having such a portrayal. For the author's part, he altered specifics of the event so he tried to consider the effects. If for instance he had changed the motivation of the character to calculated action, the message that commentators on the internet should consider the impact of their words more would have been mostly lost as the "target" would have been more deserving and likely less vulnerable to the abuse.
Gensouori

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:43 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for the mother having to be reminded of this in such a way, but...yeah, it's weird how the articles were removed.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:53 am Reply with quote
I get where she's coming from even if I think Aka meant well in terms of trying to capture what Hana went through in order to portray how awful and wrong it was for a wider audience.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:10 am Reply with quote
she ia totally wrong but this is one of these cases where she is allowed and justified to be wrong.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
Fiction has a right to be inspired by real life events. Likewise, she has a right to dislike things being handled a certain way. Conflict can exist without there being a good guy or a bad guy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The sixth episode of the currently airing Oshi no Ko anime focuses on an incident where one character on a reality TV show slaps another one and is subsequently driven to attempt suicide after being bullied on social media.

Not that it really matters, but Akane didn't slap Yuki, right? It seemed like Akane was trying to get in between the pair and accidentally scratched Yuki's face in the process.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gent

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Quote:
The sixth episode of the currently airing Oshi no Ko anime focuses on an incident where one character on a reality TV show slaps another one and is subsequently driven to attempt suicide after being bullied on social media.

Not that it really matters, but Akane didn't slap Yuki, right? It seemed like Akane was trying to get in between the pair and accidentally scratched Yuki's face in the process.

Emerje

How I understood it the bullying part was similar to what happened to her daughter.

I understand how she feels but at the same time I am grateful if showing this changes online culture for the better - even if it's just a single person thinking twice before attacking someone online.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Quote:

Emerje

That is correct. Akane moved her arms when trying to get between them and the gemstone that Yuki put on her fingernail accidentally made contact with Yuki's face. The social media mob (and maybe the editing of the show) made it much bigger than it really was.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
The mother should have not taken this to Twitter, like I've said for past 8 years; do not take things like your beef or in this case grievances to Twitter (especially not about suicide), it doesn't end well, even in the western sphere. Also, the episode was handled properly like everything else in this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5